Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Chain lube

jerryfudd

Awesome!

Chain lube

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:26 am

moving on from my thread on the best things to get all the gunk off the chain (here) its time to get personal and ask everyone whats their lube preference in terms of performance and value.

I had been using the WD40 Chain Lube at £8-10 per can for 400ml and I've read some good things about the Wurth Dry Chain Lube at roughly the same price (£9-12) but for 500ml.

your thoughts please..... Very Happy
scottrichardwalker
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Re: Chain lube

Post by scottrichardwalker on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:58 am

I personally use a scottoiler, so it is scotoil for me. However, when I got caught short once in France I used some chainsaw oil in it and that had a very similar effect!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:03 am

I've heard the oil is quite pricey for those plus it'll cost £100-£200 to get the unit itself (not keen on hooking into the vac line so I'd want the electric one).

Looking at trying to get something that's better value than around £10 a can - or comes in a bigger can but without spending 4-5times as much by buying in bulk. I've heard gear oil works pretty well but don't know much about it and sounds like it'd be pretty messy.
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:12 am

Wurth is good stuff.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 12:27 pm

We just use multi-purpose grease. Real thick black stuff. I didnt buy it but I think it was €20 for 5L. Does a good job! The only thing that annoys me is the grease flinging everywhere on the swingarm and back wheel. 

Will be interesting to hear some of the alternatives as I really want to move to something that isnt as messy.

Does anybody know if you can get a fully enclosed chain guard for the CB500 ? My dad has one for his 250RS and it just makes maintaining a chain effortless
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:46 pm

Soz but I don't rate Wurth much - however I have to straight away confess that I haven't given it a real, proper, thorough trial. Used it for a while though, and whilst it obviously doesn't fling, I'm not entirely sure it's a great lubricant as such. My vibe is that it's a trade off - i.e. a lubricant compromised by anti-fling and mess prevention properties. So if you're running a Harley or a bike that you want to be nice and shiny, Wurth is great. But if you're a bit more mechanically minded, and/or practical, a liquid oil type lubricant is best. Correct me if I'm wrong here - because the Wurth stuff may have special mystery ingredients that are not only "dry" but just good at creating an oily film between mating surfaces as trad liquid substances. However I'm not entirely sure it is.

In any case, I prefer ATF i.e. EP90 type stuff. It *does* fling, and whilst you don't really want it on your near-side rear tyre wall, it's actually not bad at preserving side and centre stand life (if unlike me you're remiss in cleaning and oiling those pivot points on a regular basis). If you do get an excess splatter on tyre wall, just clean off with a fresh rag and some white spirit. Soon comes off and doesn't take more than a few seconds.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 4:43 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:I've heard the oil is quite pricey for those plus it'll cost £100-£200 to get the unit itself (not keen on hooking into the vac line so I'd want the electric one).

Looking at trying to get something that's better value than around £10 a can - or comes in a bigger can but without spending 4-5times as much by buying in bulk. I've heard gear oil works pretty well but don't know much about it and sounds like it'd be pretty messy.
Having seen your bike in the flesh I can understand your reluctance to splicing into a vac line with the T-piece supplied in the kit but the good news is you don't need to. It'll plug directly onto the blanked off vac port you last touched when syncing the carbs for a much tidier look.
While the official oil cost a fair amount, chainsaw or gear oil will work fine in it if you want a cheaper alternative. Just about any oil you use will most likely fling a bit on the rear tyre depending on the setting used as there's no facility for wiping off the excess.
Mr Honda recommends gear oil for lubing the chain which can be surprisingly un-messy if applied with a drip can onto the links between the plates.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 6:03 pm

@Ayrton F wrote:
Does anybody know if you can get a fully enclosed chain guard for the CB500 ? My dad has one for his 250RS and it just makes maintaining a chain effortless

Not that i've seen.

Sadly enclosed chain guards are about as in fashion as nylon sheets (yuk!) so no-one makes bikes with them anymore or makes any after market ones.

They are a good idea, rather like fork gaiters (at least you can buy them!).

Other than getting one made I don't know where you would get one from.

For the record I also use gear oil, it's does make a mess but it seems to work well.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 6:13 pm

One way to make the oil thicker, and fling less (at least for a little while), is to keep a small drip can in the fridge or freezer. My mrs ain't bothered about shite like that so it's not an issue, but apparently some are. Seem to think oil's really toxic or else that putting a little oil can in the fridge or freezer us just not the done thing. Doesn't cause any actual kittens to weep though, so any objections are - strictly speaking - without grounds.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 7:09 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

@Ayrton F wrote:

Not that i've seen.
Sadly enclosed chain guards are about as in fashion as nylon sheets (yuk!) so no-one makes bikes with them anymore or makes any after market ones.
They are a good idea, rather like fork gaiters (at least you can buy them!).
Other than getting one made I don't know where you would get one from.

Maybe a C90 case could be altered to fit. They are cheap and readily available.

They are a good idea, years ago I fitted a GRP one to a CB400/4. People scoffed, but I never had any chain maintenance issues.
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 7:15 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

For the record I also use gear oil, it's does make a mess but it seems to work well.

Same here, haven't done the sums but it's got to be a lot cheaper than the fancy dan spray cans of lube.
Quick clean of the back wheel after a few miles and your'e grand
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 8:56 am

I use a scottoiler 
work wise and other bike without oiler I use silkolene conventional lub
I don rate the wax type  to thick and seems to turn into grinding past
Or the dry lube  which need the chain cleaned and reapplied every 200 miles Who can be bothered !

Conventional chain lub applied once  week or more if weather very wet or lots of miles 
Clean chain every 2/3 mouths
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:42 pm

I used to use linklife that you put your chain in a round tin and heated up I thought that worked well but then my chains had split links and not the x type
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 1:25 am

I just dribble oil, fork oil, engine oil, whatever's laying around twixt the side plates; as long as the o-rings are wet, that's all that matters. I have a chain cleaning brush and that all works for me.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 5:32 pm

Gear oil, as recommended in the manual. Yes it flings off, but that's a good thing, it takes the dirt and grit with it. My chain stays really clean. I've also used old fork oil when I've had some lying around, it doesn't last as long because it's thinner. Have heard of using old engine oil, but that's thinner still.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 7:54 pm