Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

LED Indicators

Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

LED Indicators

Post by Ayrton F on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 11:18 am

Hey guys! 

I picked up a set of LED indicators last week for my CB500. I never realised I needed to pick up a new relay along with them as well. Is there a specific LED Relay that I have to get for my CB500?

The guy in the shop was saying getting the right relay can be very difficult because some may work with the bike but wont work with the indicators etc ... Any ideas ?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: LED Indicators

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:14 pm

just a universal 3 pin one will be fine I believe.

Last edited by jerryfudd on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:38 pm

http://www.ebay.ie/ulk/itm/251760268267

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that. Would something like this be suitable ? I've found a few cheaper but your waiting weeks on those as opposed to days with the expensive ones.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:45 pm

no, the 3pin connector (although you might find it only has two actual pins within the 3pin connector and an external earth) have to be in this horizontal configuration.

this is exactly what the one I had on my CBF600, briefly on the CB500 and now on my Street Triple looks like...

Just look up 'Honda 3 pin LED indicator relay' on eBay.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 5:54 pm

This came up recently in another thread. There's a link in my reply quoted below that'll work.

@ashcroc wrote:You'll either need an electronic relay (this one will cope with both led & bulbs if only changing one end) to correct the flash rate or load resistors to fool your current mechanical relay into thinking you still have bulbs fitted.
If you have a naked cb & go the relay route you'll probably also need to do a 'diode mod' to the shared idiot light to stop all 4 indicators flashing at the same time.

I went the resistor route last time I put led winkers on a bike as it was quicker (& they came with them) but I always intended changing to the tidier resistor/diode method as resistors can get hot especially if you fit the larger ones that only require one per side.

This time I'll be changing the relay at first fit.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm

Thanks for that Ash,

I will probably use a relay as Id like to keep it as tidy as possible. I have a 99 CB500S so I'm not sure if I will require the diode mod ? To be honest the most I've done with electrics to date involved taking off the headlight housing. Nothing major, like messing around with the loom, yet.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 5:59 pm

No need for a diode mod on the s models as they have independent left & right inicator idiot lights.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 16 Dec 2018, 6:05 pm