Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

vibration in bars and pegs doing me head in

rougerabbit

vibration in bars and pegs doing me head in

Post by rougerabbit on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 8:19 pm

How's it going lads.new member and new to cb 500 got a 2000 s model as a winter hack.I've noticed I've got a lot of vibration trough my pegs and bars when I get off after my 30 mile trip to work my fingers and feet are fizzy.any help or pointers be grate thanks.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: vibration in bars and pegs doing me head in

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 8:24 pm

Are bar end weights on handle bars original ones
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 8:42 pm

Hi,

You could try synchronising the carbs. If they're unbalanced it could add to the vibrations.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 9:50 pm

Having covered a total of 180,000 miles on a CB I've noticed the vibrations coming and going. Here are some pointers:
1. As above, check carb synchronisation, although this mainly affects lower revs AFAIK. 
2. As above, check the bar weights (internal and external) are present and installed properly. 
3. Change your oil if it needs changing. 
4. Go for a long (100+ miles) run with good oil in the engine, with a nice lot of high rev work. Amazing how much difference this makes. It cleans out the engine and makes it run smoother. You could add a bit of Redex to the tank before you set off too. 
5. Check your engine mounting bolts are all tight (remember each one has two ends). 
6. Check your handlebar clamps are tight. 
7. Check your footpeg hanger bolts are tight. 
8. Go faster or slower to stay out of the vibeyest rev area (5-6k on mine). 
9. Make sure you have a relaxed hold on the handlebars. 

I'll edit this if I think of more!

10. If you're feeling flush, get new handlebar grips and footpeg rubbers. They harden over the years and absorb less vibration. 

Last edited by jchesshyre on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
rougerabbit

Post by rougerabbit on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 8:45 am

Thanks for help lads.my bar ends are missing so I'll pick set of them up today.and I'll go trough all of the other suggestions she is a high mileage bike I got for small money I know why I got it cheep now
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 9:32 am

Theres nothing that cant be fixed on cb, cb laughs at high mileage if look after a bit. The irish weather and irish idea of maintain bikes doesnt help, neither does our shite pothole roads. Cb is a bike worth keeping, i wont be selling mine.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:04 pm

Hello.

That doesn't sound good.

It's definatly worth checked the tightness of the engine mounting bolts and the exhaust mounting bolts.

Sometimes if these come undone it can cause vibrations.

Can you feel the vibrations when the bike is sitting still idling?
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:46 pm

@rougerabbit wrote:Thanks for help lads.my bar ends are missing so I'll pick set of them up today.

First of all, welcome to you! Very Happy
The ride is horrible without any bar end weights (in my opinion), it all feels wrong, plus the vibes.

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by dado_dassler on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:06 pm

@rougerabbit wrote:I've got a lot of vibration trough my pegs

i get this too at high rpm somewhere above 100 km/h but only from the right footpeg, it feels like there's a fly stuck in there.
rougerabbit

Post by rougerabbit on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm

Wright so lads bar ends are on and i have tightend up every bolt on the bike.let us see how she gos tomorrow.thanks for all replys and welcoms.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 23 Sep 2015, 11:52 pm

If you can, put some thread lock on the end weight screws, as they vibrate loose quite easily. You should find they make quite a difference. If you can, do try taking the bike for a good long run - you'll be surprised at the effect.
rougerabbit

Post by rougerabbit on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 8:17 am

Just got to work on her lads.bars are much better but pegs feel worse the lent one is almost unbearable to leve my foot on
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

It must be the chain and sporokets have u checked condition or adjustment could it be a sproket bearing or rear cushdrive or rear sproket bearing
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 10:41 am

Well you can rule out the engine by pulling in the clutch, flicking the kill switch & coasting...
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 1:24 pm

What you might need is, if there's any way of doing so, to find someone who knows these bikes to have a ride on it and tell you if it's vibrating abnormally. Because on my ride home just now I was paying attention to the vibration through the bars and pegs and thought that although I'm totally used to it, if you were used to a car or a smooth 4-cylinder bike then the vibrations might seem excessive, and there's certainly nothing wrong with mine, it just buzzes like a mid-size parallel twin does. 

Sounds funny but what footwear are you wearing? I usually wear British army boots but on the very rare occasions that I wear thinner soled shoes (I hate not wearing boots but very occasionally it happens) I notice the vibrations way more. 
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 1:27 pm

Also, if it's been a while then new oil, filter, spark plugs and a carb sync could help a lot.
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 9:48 am

Left foot worse than right   check front sprocket and chain
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 11:19 am

Old thread I know, but I'm having similar symptoms on my CB500. It's the third one I've owned, and I got it to be a 'keeper' as it's in good condition, low mileage (25k), and standard. All good then...well, no - 'cos annoyingly it vibrates much much more than any of the others I've had - a real high frequency buzz through the pegs and seat, and you can feel the tank buzzing too. Starts around 4.5k and stays (gets worse) all the way up to the redline.

For folk who have been through the possible list of causes, what made the biggest difference? Would love to get this sorted.

So far I've checked bar weights, engine mounting bolts, footrest mounts, done oil, spark plugs and air filter. Vibes go if I whip the clutch in so chain runs well.

Whats next?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 2:08 pm

You can never tell where the problem might lie. At one stage my bike had a really loud annoying buzzy rattle at some (most) speeds and I chased that all over the bike. It turned out to be one of the mirrors internal bits hitting a harmonic and trying to escape through the shell !!
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 8:01 pm

Thanks - I can see a slow process of elimination beginning...! Hopefully I'll track it down.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 10:14 pm

One thing occurs to me, make absolutely sure that the chain is not too tight. You'd need to check it with rider in place and suspension at normal working height .
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm

if you have a removable baffle , you could try removing it, my bike is more vibey with it in
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 3:39 pm

Thanks both. Chain tension is spot on, and the Motad silencer doesn't have a removable baffle...

However, I decided to check the valve clearances and carb balance, having now ruled out just about everything else. 

I'm part way through the valves, but found them all too tight on the clearances, and also the timing seemed at least one tooth out on the camshaft (probably from a previous 'mechanic').

I'll report back again once I've finished these two jobs. But it's nice, in a way, to have found something 'wrong'.
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Sat 23 Jul 2016, 12:15 am

And just to update this... I've done the valves and balanced the carbs, and also adjusted the wheel alignment which has made the chain run more smoothly. Problem solved! There's now just a bit of vibes as you accelerate hard through to the redline. Cruising at 60-90 is now perfectly acceptable.

Sorted  Very Happy
trophydave
Godly
Godly

Post by trophydave on Sat 23 Jul 2016, 8:28 pm

Interesting stuff.I find mine pretty vibey,especially compared to my Triumph triple,which is very smooth.Valves and carb set up next on the list.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:33 pm