Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rear Brake Disc

ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Rear Brake Disc

Post by ashcroc on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 9:18 am

My rear disc is a bit warped & needs replacing.  I'll be using EBC HH sintered pads to match the front but not sure which disc to go for.

After a quick look on ebay EBC, brembo & OE honda discs can all be had for around the same price.

Since I trust the quality of all three parts, does it just come down to which one I prefer the looks of?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: Rear Brake Disc

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 9:39 am

think I've got a spare rear disc if your interested? if have to check how much is left on it
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 10:33 am

Hmm I don't remember any wobble on that one. It's worth considering dependant on how much meat is left on it.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 10:35 am

I remember selling one so I'll have a check when I get home which I have left aswell as getting some photos and measurements.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 3:25 pm

Just one thing to check: I thought my disc was warped but it was actually corrosion on the hub where the disc sits that meant it didn't lie quite flat. Might be worth checking before you shell out for a new disc if it's not down to the wear limit.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 3:26 pm

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought OE Honda = Brembo.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 3:31 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought OE Honda = Brembo.

don't believe so - they have sunstar or something embossed into them
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 4:27 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:Just one thing to check: I thought my disc was warped but it was actually corrosion on the hub where the disc sits that meant it didn't lie quite flat. Might be worth checking before you shell out for a new disc if it's not down to the wear limit.

I'll be sure to check when I get the old disc off but I'd still prefer to have a new on to hand if it can't be made straight again.  It's not like it won't need replacing eventually.

While the caliper & OE pads are Brembo, I don't think they bothered with the same manufacturer for the disc.  The Brembo disc I'm considering is definately different.

At the moment I think I'm leaning toward the EBC disc to match the pads.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

Yes, I stand corrected, the OEM disc is indeed Sunstar. 

I guess the flip-side of what I said about corrosion is that without checking/correcting that you might install a new disc and still have symptoms of disc warp that are actually caused by the disc not sitting totally perpendicular to the axle. 
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 5:51 pm

Yeah.  It's always good practice to make sure the mating surfaces are clean & in good condition.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:35 pm