Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

I bought another bike.....

badseeds

Awesome!

I bought another bike.....

Post by badseeds on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 5:16 pm

Of course, it had to be a CB500. This one's done almost 57k, only 2k since 2010, has 12 months MOT and cost me £476. I've had to adjust the gear and brake pedals to accommodate my MX boots, replace the stop/tail bulb, lube the cables and generally make it 'fit'. 

Early impressions are that it feels quicker, faster and revvier than my 120k mile bike. On the way home, at 100+ mph, I was stamping up & down the 'box, sans clutch, twixt 4th, 5th and 6th and it seemed happy. 

These earlier Jap-built machines are definitely better quality. I very nearly didn't by this; in one of the sale photos it was wearing Roadriders  affraid

ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: I bought another bike.....

Post by ashcroc on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 5:22 pm

Looks like it spent damn near it's whole life in a heated garage & it already has stainless downpipes.

It's not a patch on Little Donkey though!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 5:33 pm

is it just the early drum ones which were made in Japan?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 5:35 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Looks like it spent damn near it's whole life in a heated garage & it already has stainless downpipes.

It's not a patch on Little Donkey though!

It has its original silencer, which is very, very mouldy!
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 5:39 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:is it just the early drum ones which were made in Japan?

The '94-'95 CB500Rs were made in Japan. Most '96 CB500Ts (also with a drum and pretty much identical to the 'R' except for blanked-off fork drains, a different ECU and different fork spacers) were built in Italy, though a few came from Hamamatsu. All the V-on bikes were built at Atessa.
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 8:45 pm

I've often wondered if the Japanese bikes had better build quality.  I can say I'm too impressed with the paint and finish on my 2002 bike especially when compared to my NC30's.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 8:49 pm

You'll probably see mine in the metal soon enough, Jim. It looks really good for 20 years old.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm

Best of luck with new bike u got a bargain, is this end for little donkey?, yes they say jap cbs were much better that italian assembled ones. The paint issue is because paint type was changed as far as i am aware , it used to be a lead type paint not eco friendly and not harder wearing now its not longer lasting rubs off easy,  my build quality of 96 blade was very good paint, fastners. Now newer blade 08 on ,people giving out plastic fastners , paint rubbing off swingarms fairings exhausts  ,whispers of crank failures , heard other brands catching up with build quality now? Putting it down to cutting costs?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 6:07 pm

Ace. I like that colour! I suppose it was intended for da ladies. But I actually always liked it a lot more than some of the others - e.g. the custard yellow they did.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 6:10 pm

Great price btw. My mrs just bought a stupid push iron for nearly twice that. Rolling Eyes scratch Neutral Crying or Very sad Shocked Surprised
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 6:47 pm

nice, happy new bike Cool

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 7:38 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Great price btw. My mrs just bought a stupid push iron for nearly twice that. Rolling Eyes scratch Neutral Crying or Very sad Shocked Surprised

What is this iron you speak of?!

Nice bike. Is this to be 'Little Pony'?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 7:48 pm

he means a bi cycle Very Happy
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:20 pm

Been ages since I've heard someone use to term push iron, so what's happening with little donkey now or is this little donkeys companion in the garage?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:29 pm

I'd never heard of it. I thought he meant an uber expensive clothes iron!!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:31 pm

or push rod
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:32 pm

20:32:19
@sullivj wrote:I'd never heard of it. I thought he meant an uber expensive clothes iron!!

likewise...... also found out the other day that car drivers are referred to as 'cagers'?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:26 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:
@sullivj wrote:I'd never heard of it. I thought he meant an uber expensive clothes iron!!

likewise...... also found out the other day that car drivers are referred to as 'cagers'?
Yup, it's a 'murican thing that seems to be happening. It's rather logical though as they're "trapped" in a cage and rather disconnected to the road rather than been open and connected like what you feel when you ride a bike.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm

I've no plans to ditch the Little Donkey! Although it does need some surgery.......

The head races are knackered and I can't take it off the road without having alternative transport, so I scraped £900 together and set about looking for another bike. The plan was to buy something that I can make some money on. F'rinstance, I saw a 2003 Fazer on Gumtree going for £800. The owner had dropped it, cracking the screen and fairing. Luckily the owner had fitted aftermarket fairing lowers and crash bobbins that had taken most of the damage. The bike had only covered 18k miles and had a full service history, including a recent valve check. And it was yellow! I wanted it, thinking I could repair it for a couple of hundred quid and off it at a profit. It sold too quickly, though :-(

I discovered that there's not much about in this price range that has a long MOT and good consumables. I nearly bought a Cub 90!

This CB500 was a bit of a lucky find. It was on eBay, being sold privately from Barnet, Norf Laahndan and as it was due to finish at 5.08pm on a Thursday, I bid from the side of the road, whilst riding home from work! I didn't put any bids in until the last 20 seconds; I figured it's worth an easy £650, so I put that in... It was only at 380 odd!

This is such a lovely, honest, little bike I definitely won't be selling it when the Little Donkey is back on its wheels. Apart from transferring the crash-protection, hotgrips and rack & 'box, I don't really have any plans to modify ruin it. I'll use them both on alternate days  Very Happy

I don't have a garage, but the mother-in-law does and she's off to Goa for 6 months in early November. I can do all the work there.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:13 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

@jerryfudd wrote:

Yup, it's a 'murican thing that seems to be happening. It's rather logical though as they're "trapped" in a cage and rather disconnected to the road rather than been open and connected like what you feel when you ride a bike.

Nah. The term 'cagers' has been in the UK for many years. I remember saying it in the early nineties. Besides, it's 'Merkins' - they don't like being associated with pubic wigs!
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:15 pm

Me too!
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:31 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Ace. I like that colour! I suppose it was intended for da ladies. But I actually always liked it a lot more than some of the others - e.g. the custard yellow they did.

That colour-scheme got the wife's approval. She even said, "I could have the bike when you're finished with it". She never will, but at least it means the bike's staying!

I quite like yellow..... Mind you, Sully's got THE best factory livery.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 2:43 am

Laughing

We're not quite that bourgeois. Wink
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 2:48 am

@badseeds wrote:

@trevor machine wrote:Ace. I like that colour! I suppose it was intended for da ladies. But I actually always liked it a lot more than some of the others - e.g. the custard yellow they did.

That colour-scheme got the wife's approval. She even said, "I could have the bike when you're finished with it". She never will, but at least it means the bike's staying!

I quite like yellow..... Mind you, Sully's got THE best factory livery.

Is that the tango one? If so I like that too. But my fave is the cb cup silver w/ those nice red and blue stickers.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 22 Sep 2015, 6:33 am

Is that the tango one?

Yep! Seen here with my 'proper bike'!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 10:08 pm