Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

New clutch cable question

louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

New clutch cable question

Post by louis_sutton on Wed 9 Sep - 12:14

First of all, huge amounts of thanks for every post on here recommending carrying a spate clutch cable. Mine just snapped on the way to work, and I had a spare!

That said, whilst it's got me running, I'm not certain it's correct.

When one fits a new cable, with all slack in at the bar adjuster, am I right in thinking the threaded part of the engine end adjuster should be as far through the retaining ring on top of the engine casing as possible? I.e. With as much of the thread through the ring toward the rear of the bike? 

Mine's entirely the opposite, so I'm either being a dunce (highly possible), or it's too long and to adjust the clutch I've had to take the adjustment all the way in.

Cheers all!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: New clutch cable question

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 9 Sep - 14:27

Funny you should say that, mine snapped on the way to Cornwall back in August!
This is how mine is. Get the tension basically right at the clutch end and fine tune with the handlebar adjuster.
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Wed 9 Sep - 17:02

Ah thanks mate. Mine is all the way through, which suggests the cb500s cable is too long and I need a standard cable which I'm buying now!

Appreciate it. I take it you supported the Austell brewery whilst down there?  Very Happy
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 9 Sep - 17:50

The length of the cable shouldn't matter (though a longer one will stretch more), it's the difference between the outer & inner that counts.
The lack of adjustment could also be down to worn clutch plates if you've clocked up the miles.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 9 Sep - 18:04

@louis_sutton wrote:Appreciate it. I take it you supported the Austell brewery whilst down there?  Very Happy

I did partake of the odd pint of Tribute and Doombar! Very Happy
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Wed 9 Sep - 18:16

26k, so hopefully ok on the clutch for a bit. It looks like the S cable is 95 cm outer, 102 cm inner , whilst the standard is 91.5 inner, 102 outer.

I can't remember what I bought as an emergency spare do I've ordered a new a cable from wemoto, and will buy the other if it doesn't fit (and anyone needing whatever cable doesn't fit mine can have it).

I could go a pint of doombar about now!
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Wed 9 Sep - 21:48

If it is a genuine Honda part the "S" cable is marked "MY5-G30" while the standard CB has got "MY5-730". Yes, the "S" has got a slightly longer cable which makes it the perfect choice for people with aftermarket handlebars or risers. It will fit to an standard CB500 as well with no disadvantages.
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Post by geoffnorfolk on Thu 10 Sep - 17:10

@louis_sutton wrote:Ah thanks mate. Mine is all the way through, which suggests the cb500s cable is too long and I need a standard cable which I'm buying now!

Appreciate it. I take it you supported the Austell brewery whilst down there?  Very Happy

I always reckon, for the sake of say £8 for a clutch cable Its worth fitting the genuine cables..... you can be certain that they fit and are of good quality.  Its also worth checking the ends of the cable every few thousand miles...... they never break in the middle and you can then spot the fraying, long before they break.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul - 21:31