Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Stuck throttle

magooan
Squiddy
Squiddy

Stuck throttle

Post by magooan on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:23 pm

Hello again Guys
                      I have a bike that hasn't been used in a while and the throttle is stuck closed.
I will start with the simple things first but what do you reckon is the easiest and the hardest thing it
could be?

The cables seem to want to move.

Many thanks

Last edited by magooan on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Stuck throttle

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:57 pm

You could try loosening off the adjusters at the twist grip for starters, other than that it will be tank off so that you can check the carb end.
magooan
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by magooan on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:39 pm

Thanks teamster will start there, I have the tank off anyway to replace a petcock.

Cheers.

Post by Guest on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 9:42 am

I found getting the throttle cables connected to the carburettors quite tiresome and fiddly. To get old cables going blast them with WD40 and a cable-lube tool, then exercise the cables until they come loose, then blast with brake cleaner and cable-lube tool to get all the grease or oily residue out (and rust that has come loose) and finally lube it wish a Teflon infused cable oil... worked for me!

EDIT: Having said that mind that a frayed throttle cable may snap at any time - let's hope it's not when you 'trust' your machine to get you out of a tight corner... take care!
magooan
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by magooan on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 4:00 pm

Thank's Werner that's very helpful,I have been looking at how you get at the cables but do have large
hands and the space is restricted..........I  know i'll get the other half to do it as she has ladies fingers!

Did read that another member managed it with two screwdrivers,but I will follow what you did first
and make sure that there are no fraying cables.

Thank's again.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 6:41 pm

To be honest it's a damn site easier if you take the carbs off but hopefully a squirt of WD will do the job!
magooan
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by magooan on Sat 12 Sep 2015, 8:39 am

It's funny teamster that was the way I was going to tackle it until werner mentioned giving them a blast with various stuff.

I have noticed that there is very limited room and am a bit worried about upsetting some thing,in the Haynes it seems to be quite straightforward and would be good to see how things go together.Or pehaps in my case NOT go together.

I am lucky in that as it not my main form of transport I can take my time,but to start with lets see if the various liquids will do the job.

Cheers.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 12 Sep 2015, 8:47 am

I think PlusGas is a better release agent than WD40.

If you take the tank off, you'll see where you need to get at. Hopefully you'll see the problem from there. Could be that one of the inner cables has frayed and jammed into the outer?

magooan
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by magooan on Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:01 pm

Thank's will get some plusgas I think I am going to need it.WD40 has freed the cables but have read
plusgas is better for this purpose.Have the tank off and  it's not as clean as yours sullivj but will out the cleaning rags.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm