Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

46.9 BHP restriction?

Finlayjl

46.9 BHP restriction?

Post by Finlayjl on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:51 pm

Hi guys,

It's my first post here, as I am the new proud owner of a CBF500A!

I am currently studying to do my mod 2, which will allow me to go onto a bike with up to 47bhp.  Bought a CBF500A for my first big bike Very Happy

Putting aside all of the certification crap, is anyone able to tell me what the dimensions of the restriction kit is? Believe it or not, I don't feel like I want to be bent over by FI and charged £180 for a couple of washers and a meaningless piece of paper.

There is a kit on ebay for around £50, but I am hesitant to spend my hard earned exhaust pipe fund on something that could be so easily replicated

I would much rather that my hard earned cash (if i do have to part with it) goes to one of my fellow CBF owners so let me know if youve got a kit that you've taken out that I could buy $$$$

TLDR;

-Can you tell me the dimensions of the 47hp restrictor kit (pictures would be awesome)
-Anyone recently de-restricted and still have the parts (cash waiting)
trophydave
Godly
Godly

Re: 46.9 BHP restriction?

Post by trophydave on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:09 pm

I have got a pair of restrictor washers that came with my CB500.Would they be any help to you?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:09 pm

Sorry, can't tell you about the dimensions of the restriction-kit washers - someone else might know and/or be able to sell you some on the cheap (hopefully).

Their certificate *is* pretty meaningless (as it doesn't show that you necessarily have them fitted) but it does demonstrate that if you fit the FI kit then you get xxx (whatever it is) horsepower on a given bike.

If you fit 'your own design' of restriction (carb intake restriction or throttle cable restriction) then you'll need some way of demonstrating that your restriction actually restricts the power of the bike to less than the specified value, the easiest way of doing this is to get a dyno run done with the restriction fitted (probably around 50 quid at your local garage that has a dyno).

IMO it is much easier to fit/remove a 'throttle-stop' restriction to the twistgrip housing at the appropriate point, unfortunatly you need a dyno to find where the 'appropriate point' is.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 5:13 pm

wouldnt be surprised if your bike was below 47bhp as it is.

used cb500's can come in round 47 and start with 1bhp more than a cbf so its defo worth doin a dyno before you buy anythin else
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 9:34 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:Sorry, can't tell you about the dimensions of the restriction-kit washers - someone else might know and/or be able to sell you some on the cheap (hopefully).

Their certificate *is* pretty meaningless (as it doesn't show that you necessarily have them fitted) but it does demonstrate that if you fit the FI kit then you get xxx (whatever it is) horsepower on a given bike.

If you fit 'your own design' of restriction (carb intake restriction or throttle cable restriction) then you'll need some way of demonstrating that your restriction actually restricts the power of the bike to less than the specified value, the easiest way of doing this is to get a dyno run done with the restriction fitted (probably around 50 quid at your local garage that has a dyno).

IMO it is much easier to fit/remove a 'throttle-stop' restriction to the twistgrip housing at the appropriate point, unfortunatly you need a dyno to find where the 'appropriate point' is.
Throttle-stops also have the benefit of not changing the air/fuel mixture so the bike will run better than with washers.
phorx999
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by phorx999 on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:10 am

It depends on your insurance company. Mine wanted proof of restriction so i got the FI international restricter installed by the dealer, got scammer 250 quid affraid  (they were still a good deal for me). you may be better off taking it to be dynoed before you do anything to it if its cheap and keeping a copy of the dyno chart, if its verified by someone qualified then they should accept it. likely hood is it may have lost some HP over time mines a throttle restriction but the bike still has the 8k power. Very unlikey an insurance company will want proof.
Advantage with having it installed is FI international and the mechanic are responsible (they only sell to mechanics and they HAVE to install and verify), and they keep records of the restriction and you get an official (although total BS) certificate that has not legal standing. if something happens and the restriction is questioned the'll dyno it regardless.
you could just ingnore me as i got scammed through this (i would)
but anyway:
£50 dyno (i don't know about this just a quick google)
£100 ebay washers and dyno (to verify if the insurers want it)
£200-£250 FI International
Very Happy 
i have genuinely confused myself reading this, but its a mix of what i did and loads of forum seaches from when i had it sorted.
i have a 2001 cb500 BTW but this kinda thing is relevant for cbf

Thinking about i kinda wish i got a larger bike to make the restrictor worth it but F@ck it i like the bike

Good luck with your mod 2 and for the repeats in 2 years time
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 6:46 am

I bought my 33bhp restrictors from kick-start engineering on eBay. Cost about 50 quid, got a garage to fit them and sign the certificate, insurance company were fine with it.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:47 am

I'm not familiar with the british regulations, but over here there are differences between the CB and CBF500. Honda offered both bikes with 34 or 57 hp, the CB additionally with 50 hp, but none of them with 48hp.

Therefore, there hasn't been a genuine Honda restriction kit with 48 hp for the CB(F)500. Nevertheless, alpha Technik offers an aftermarket set, consisting washers (PC26) or cable restrictors (PC32/39).

But in case of the CBF500 PC39
, the carburettors are different. Alpha Technik offers a cable restrictor that differs from the CB part. Consider that the throttle cable leads to the left carb instead of the middle between both carbs as with the CB.

So, IMHO there is no legal way to use the smilar CB parts with the CBF.

Last edited by Flyingbrick on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 8:34 am

Wow yous are lucky over in the Britain by the sounds of it. In Ireland the restriction kit must be fitted by a registered garage and will generally cost you around €200 quid, sometimes more depending on the bike! What I wouldve given to fit my own and then just pay €50 to dyno it,
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 8:33 pm

The garage I bought the bike from gave me a dyno readout showing 45bhp. It's unrestricted. Also different dynos may be calibrated differently.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 06 Sep 2015, 8:11 pm

As a person who currently has 2 cb500's and both of them are restricted I can say. You can get the restriction washers and cert from kickstartengineering on ebay. although the washers cost £60(new) fitting costs about £30 but that's if you want to get a garage to stamp the cert. I have also fitted both of mine as one had, had been removed before I bought the bike. The other one I got on ebay for £30 including postage and I've fitted them myself although I've not got insurance yet since I'm also awaiting for my mod2 too.
Edit: You cannot use your own washers as they have to be dsa approved to show that they actually produce 35kW

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:15 am