Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Indicator question

jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Indicator question

Post by jim157 on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

I've just removed the Givi rack that was fitted to my bike and am attempting to fit the indicators back to their original location on the mudguard after removing them from the rack.
My problem is the holes in the mudguard are a different size (too small) compared to the threaded section on the indicators.

My question is, should the indicators fix to something else rather than directly to  the mudguard, or do I have non-standard rear indicators (they do appear oem)?

Also are there any other Honda indicators that will be a direct fit and freshen up the look a little bit?

Cheers.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Re: Indicator question

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 1:09 pm

I had this issue with my first CB, which came with a Givi rack which I removed. I fitted Oxford indicators to the mudguard until I worked out that the Honda ones fit into grab rails / luggage rails which mine didn't have on. The rails are very useful, I'd look out for some on eBay. Mine came with the indicators.
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 1:10 pm

Mine dont fit to the plastic mudguard, theyre attached to the black painted metal part just under the tailpod, thats part of the little grab/bungee rails. Cant get them off without removing the tailpod. Ill go out and take a pic in a minute.

EDIT:

As the pic shows, the metal grab/bungee rails have a part that sits over the hole in the mudguard. The indicator bolts to the metal part, and the cable feeds in through the mudguard hole.

Last edited by arrison on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added pic and more info)
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 1:37 pm

Cheers chaps, that's a great help.  Mine is missing the grab rails, I'll see if I can pick some up off ebay.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 12:15 am

You lose the grab rails when fitting a Givi rack as it mounts in the same place.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:54 am

Just to make it clear, the hole in the mudguard is just a guidance for the indicator wires. The indicators are mounted solely to the grab rail. Be sure to buy grab rails that fit to the indicators as PC26 ->95 and PC32 96-> have different ones.

Your picture is showing the PC32 indicators that have a small pin next to the mounting bolt. It fits to a hole at the grab rail. In addition, you'll need some standard nuts as the one that can be seen in the second picture fits exclusively to the Givi rack.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:03 pm

Hmm, I'm actually in a similar position, although I didnt realise the indicators were in the wrong place (none on the bike since I bought it) and fitted them to the mudguard. Ill probably be re-fitting my rack in the near future so Ill just keep them where they are for the moment.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:38 pm

My first cb had the indicators on the mudguard when I got it. Whether that was due to a rack previously being fitted or a bit of weight saving I don't know but the indentations on the mudguard where the wires go through are almost perfect for the pc26 indicators to sit in.

My current steed has them once again mounted to the mudguard but lower down so they don't foul the Givi rack. If I want to retrofit the grab handles, I'm now left with the option of leaving unsightful holes, replacing the undertray or triming it right down & fitting an aftermarket tail tidy.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:20 pm

@ashcroc wrote: triming it right down & fitting an aftermarket tail tidy.

to be honest I was actually considering trimming down the mudguard once I had my rack fitted and making it so it wasnt as noticeable. Id leave enough space to mount a narrow reg plate. Wasnt sure what effect this would have though on dirt being thrown up onto the brake light/reg plate.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:55 pm

@Ayrton F wrote:
@ashcroc wrote: triming it right down & fitting an aftermarket tail tidy.

to be honest I was actually considering trimming down the mudguard once I had my rack fitted and making it so it wasnt as noticeable. Id leave enough space to mount a narrow reg plate. Wasnt sure what effect this would have though on dirt being thrown up onto the brake light/reg plate.

It's fine, apart from on a wet day when you (not just the reg plate!) will get splattered with mud/dirt from the road.

So, unless you really hate the rear mudguard then it is best to leave it as it is.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 3:24 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:It's fine, apart from on a wet day when you (not just the reg plate!) will get splattered with mud/dirt from the road.

So, unless you really hate the rear mudguard then it is best to leave it as it is.

Well I just ordered some new RST Adventure kit so it will be staying put  Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:33 pm