Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Tyre Choice!

badseeds

Awesome!

Re: Tyre Choice!

Post by badseeds on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 6:29 pm

Check your tread and sidewalls, see if they're cracking, yet. Then go out in the wet, push it a bit and see how they shimmy about and become overwhelmed much easier than other tyres.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 9:03 pm

My michelen pilot activ have no cracks in them on side walls or on crown and like new but there from 02 , my cb was left up for years . Were fine in wet . If it was fireblade i just change em but with cb?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 9:10 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:My michelen pilot activ have no cracks in them on side walls or on crown and like new but there from 02 , my cb was left up for years . Were fine in wet . If it was fireblade i just change em but with cb?

I'm talking about Avon Roadriders.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 8:12 am

Just after having a look at the current tyres. The back one is definitly on its way out. Theres a pair of BT45s on it at the moment so I may stick with them for the time being. Expensive though Sad
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 10:25 am

Nothing is cheap in ireland as u know, especially bike parts and bike  consumables
steeeve66
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by steeeve66 on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 1:09 pm

@jimbobs63 wrote:I've got Avon Roadriders.  

Why are some people saying to stay away from them - I haven't had any problem with them at all.

Jim

In my view the Avons (Roadriders) are, at best, 'average' in the dry but it's when it's wet that they become so bad - even gentle cornering became an exercise in nursing the front wheel as it tried to slip out from under you. Genuinely appalling.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 1:47 pm

HI,

I've used the Roadriders, they do last very well but unfortunately didn't inspire much wet riding confidence. Pirelli Mt75's are the same feel so best avoided imo.

Bt45's are pretty good all round especially in the wet and in winter. I've Bridgestone evo's on at the moment and am impressed. Whilst a sporty tyre they seem to be wearing well and the bike is stable leant over. Only used the in the wet a few times and no dramas.

muttley1
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:43 am

I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Activ. The Michelin is as good as the BT45 but has no issues with cracks or unusual wearout. I had to exchange several Bridgestones with very low mileages during the years. Some had cracks, some were worn after only 4000mls and every tyre had bumps on the tyre tread.

"Christine", my CB500R, lost only 1.5 mm profile depth after 3.500 mls, so I'm expecting a lifetime of at least 8.000 mls with the Michelins. They are quite reasonable as well; approximately 145 EUR per pair.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:32 am

When i bought my bike i got a new set of BT45's put on and nearly 2yrs and just under 10,000 miles later ive just had to change the rear. Front is at 3mm so will wait to change that.. Have to say squaring off was terrible on the rear.

Im no grandad and do have a lot of good fun on my cb but generally i stick to the speed limits and ride as smoothly as i possibly can, and the BT's have never "yet" let me down!

Would like to try some different tyres, ive just got to wait for both front and back to wear out at the same(ish) time....maybe 6yrs Smile
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 10:53 am

I've alwas run bt45's as that's what's coe on all my bikes & I know how the bike handles with them on. I tend to go through 2 rears to 1 front.

That said, this (& other previous) thread(s) has got me wondering if there isn't better out there in the eternal hunt for grip, longevity & value.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:00 pm

@Flyingbrick wrote:I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Activ. The Michelin is as good as the BT45 but has no issues with cracks or unusual wearout. I had to exchange several Bridgestones with very low mileages during the years. Some had cracks, some were worn after only 4000mls and every tyre had bumps on the tyre tread.

"Christine", my CB500R, lost only 1.5 mm profile depth after 3.500 mls, so I'm expecting a lifetime of at least 8.000 mls with the Michelins. They are quite reasonable as well; approximately 145 EUR per pair.

Nearly €60 cheaper. Where did you get them for that price ? I might be inclined to try these out first. Once I get the money together Ill give a few bike shops around the area a call and see what they have and for how much.

Last edited by Ayrton F on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:34 pm

Don't forget to ask what they'll charge to fit if you supply the tires yourself. It may work out cheaper getting them off the net. I've no idea of what the exchange rate is like at the moment but could a trip north of the border be an option?
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 5:22 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Don't forget to ask what they'll charge to fit if you supply the tires yourself.  It may work out cheaper getting them off the net.  I've no idea of what the exchange rate is like at the moment but could a trip north of the border be an option?

Definitely an option but the exchange rate is supposed to be horrendous at the moment! Ill fit the tyres myself as well! saves a few bob and its good practice in case I'm ever left stranded on the side of a road!  Laughing Laughing
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 12:40 am

@Flyingbrick wrote:They are quite reasonable as well; approximately 145 EUR per pair.

Ha! Not round here they're not - €105 just for a rear. Because Ireland.

Had a closer look at my rear tyre earlier and think I was being way over-optimistic thinking I was going to get 6-7k miles out of my Sport Demon. More like 5k and a bit. Need to sort my rim before fitting a new one as it keeps slowly loosing pressure which obviously isn't helping the tyre wear.
Anyway I was checking out prices for myself study and the cheapest I found for a rear was pretty much the same whether Pirelli/Bridgestone/Michelin - about €105. No cheaper from Crossans North of the border.

Then after reading @Flyingbrick's post I started searching further afield and found my way to a decent price on 123pnues.fr who don't deliver here but, it turns out is a sister website of reifendirekt.de, mytyres.co.uk and http://www.eiretyres.com/.

On the Ireland version of the site they have the rear Michelin for €90 delivered or €162 a pair. (Same is only €78 for a rear or €138 a pair on their German site.)

So there you go, I reckon that's your best option - Move to Germany!  Laughing
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:22 am

@Celt500 wrote:

@Flyingbrick wrote:They are quite reasonable as well; approximately 145 EUR per pair.

So there you go, I reckon that's your best option - Move to Germany!  Laughing

In case you're going to buy a pair of tyres, definately 'yes'. We just bought two sets at www.reifendiscount.de and paid 146,30 per set. In addition, we got an EUR 20 voucher at https://www.louis.de/ for each pair.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:19 pm

As you will see from earlier in this thread, I've got Avon Roadriders fitted to my bike.

Following on from my question about why they're considered so poor, and the responses I got, I decided to look for a cheap new pair of Pirelli Sport Demons, BT45s or Michelin Pilot Activs, and lo I found a pair of the Demons new on Ebay under auction with a starting price of £79.  

I was the only one to bid so got them for around £87 for the pair including postage.  Result!  Can't wait to get them fitted and to see if I feel any improvement in the feel and grip.

My rear tyre needs changing anyway for the next MOT (due at the end of this month).  I had changed the front tyre for a new one recently, so I guess I'll just have to sell it on - it's currently only got about 100 miles on it!

Jim

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:47 pm

A good result Jim.

I paid £126 for a set of BT45s today (inc. delivery). My local garage will fit a pair to loose wheels for £30 if I dispose of the old tyres.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:50 pm

My local garage, Wheels & Tyres Direct in Beccles, charge £10 a wheel and dispose of the old 'uns. They do it cash-in-hand and I'm on first-name terms with them cos of all the bleedin' boots I get through Smile
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:51 pm

I'll call up my local garage tomorrow and see what they say.  Thanks for giving me an idea of what to expect cost-wise!

Jim
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:57 pm

You got a cracking deal there, Jim!
trevor2110
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by trevor2110 on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:53 am

My bike came with Arrowmax tyres. Replaced them with BT45's as they were recommended on here. I did notice a huge difference in the grip. I do a daily 64 mile commute and can say they've never squared off quickly. Generally get around 10/12 thousand on the rear and double that on the front. I ride sedately. Guess a lot of it depends how you ride
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:48 am

http://www.cottermc.com/tyres/metzeler-tourance

Apparently a lot of the CB500 couriers around Dublin are using these. Getting a lot longer out of them than you would a BT45 while maintaining a decent level of grip in the wet or rain.

Doesnt really make sense to me though ... fitting an enduro tyre to a CB500 ?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:58 am

@Ayrton F wrote:http://www.cottermc.com/tyres/metzeler-tourance

Apparently a lot of the CB500 couriers around Dublin are using these. Getting a lot longer out of them than you would a BT45 while maintaining a decent level of grip in the wet or rain.

Doesnt really make sense to me though ... fitting an enduro tyre to a CB500 ?

I didn't realise they came in our sizes. I've used 'em on an R1150GS and liked 'em.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 4:02 pm

@badseeds wrote:I didn't realise they came in our sizes. I've used 'em on an R1150GS and liked 'em.

I haven't looked at the sizes available yet (probably wouldn't have been a bad idea before posting) but I took his word for granted! 

How did they perform on the GS ? Obviously its a completely different bike to the CB but would be interested to hear about their performance nevertheless!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 7:30 pm

The link has them in our size & the H speed rating for the rear would work also. Having seen the state of Irish roads I can see how an enduro style tread would be preferable too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 7:19 pm