Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

[solved]Rear axle nut size

louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Solved [solved]Rear axle nut size

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:03 am

Evening all, having checked on here that the rear axle nut is mm socket, my new socket arrived today. Too small-can anyone confirm the nut should be a 24mm socket, and has anyone run across a different not being used?

(My own stupid fault for not just measuring it!   Very Happy )
Jameshambleton

Solved Re: [solved]Rear axle nut size

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 7:52 am

Just literally went outside with 3 sockets in hand. The size 24 socket fits on my 97 and 98 cb5's perfectly. I use halfords advanced tools.
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 8:34 am

Honda nuts is a 24mm and self locking  but I sure some one has found a I think M16 X 1.50 nut from somewhere else !!
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:43 am

Thanks gents. It's definitely larger than a 24mm. Irritating, I might have to improvise slightly using the axle had to torque it up (chain is very loose). Unless I can get to somewhere that stocks a socket near me!

Really appreciate the replies!
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 3:15 pm

Pretty sure mine is a 25. Id have to double check that but I remember trying a 24 on it before and it not fitting!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 12:57 pm

Have you got a pair of calipers? Might be worth a measure.

I'm not near my bike at the moment, but 24mm sounds familiar.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 1:02 pm

Checked it last night! Mines 24mm!
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 8:11 pm

This is what happens when I try and do things in the dark after work on my drive without a light.

Close daylight inspection reveals someone has banjaxed the nut, creating a lip on one flat that's extended the size. So I shall be deploying file tomorrow at some point, probably to the disgust of the long haired general who'll complain that as we've moved, bed and wardrobe building should come first. She's got her priorities all wrong.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:24 am

@louis_sutton wrote:...can anyone confirm the nut should be a 24mm socket, and has anyone run across a different not being used?

I believe the OE toolkit contains a suitable spanner + extension handle. If you've got the kit, you can use that for reference.

A lookup in internal memory returns the answer "Rear axle nut: 24 mm/90 Nm". Altzheimers may be at play, though...
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 8:29 am

@stormbringer wrote:Altzheimers may be at play, though...

No, 24 mm are confirmed, as well as the torque.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm

@louis_sutton wrote:This is what happens when I try and do things in the dark after work on my drive without a light.

Close daylight inspection reveals someone has banjaxed the nut, creating a lip on one flat that's extended the size. So I shall be deploying file tomorrow at some point, probably to the disgust of the long haired general who'll complain that as we've moved, bed and wardrobe building should come first. She's got her priorities all wrong.

Safety first    cheers
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 6:30 am

@Flyingbrick wrote:No, 24 mm are confirmed, as well as the torque.
Ah, @Flyingbrick Smile Long time, no see. How did the Harz-treff go? I assume you went - unlike me who had my calendar full of tedious stuff needing attention.

@louis_sutton: Long haired generals (SWMBOs) tend to get their priorities wrong. You're not alone with that. But life wouldn't be the same without 'em, so we must endure. The banjaxed nut - is its thread-locking-mechanism still intact? If not, consider getting a replacement nut. Safety-alert...
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:48 pm

Bloody good point on a new nut. It's fifteen years old, I reckon a new one is overdue, cheers for the suggestion
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 7:12 pm

@louis_sutton wrote:Bloody good point on a new nut. It's fifteen years old, I reckon a new one is overdue, cheers for the suggestion

Age is no problem here. All the parts on my bike are 14 years old - I'm not considering any changes, because none of them have been banjaxed by some crazy nut(!) with a hammer or somesuch redneck engineering tool.
As long as the nylstop-alike mechanism works, you're good to go.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 7:03 am

@stormbringer wrote:

Ah, @Flyingbrick Smile Long time, no see. How did the Harz-treff go? I assume you went - unlike me who had my calendar full of tedious stuff needing attention.
Of course I did, mate -as well as my daughter who joined us on Friday evening. She took her 125cc bike and rode to St.Andreasberg in impulse.

In the meantime, she sold her Little chopper and -tadaa!-bought a '98 CB500S in a mint condition.

Now she's waiting for the driver's licence test...
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 8:31 am

@Flyingbrick wrote:

@stormbringer wrote:

Of course I did, mate -as well as my daughter who joined us on Friday evening. She took her 125cc bike and rode to St.Andreasberg in impulse.

In the meantime, she sold her Little chopper and -tadaa!-bought a '98 CB500S in a mint condition.

Wow that looks like a near spotless S!
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 9:38 am

Yes, indeed. The only issue is a rusty fuel tank, so a coating is necessary. The bike has only 8,000 mls on the clock and was sold by the first owner. She bought it for a quite reasonable price and we already replaced the tyres, made a proper maintenance including a carb cleaning. A custom seat is just ordered to lower the seat height and a dark acryfibre windscreen has been fitted.

She was chuffed to bits that she's going to ride such a pretty one Wink
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 10:36 am

@Flyingbrick wrote:

How many turned up? I reckon lots of bikes...

And how come your daughter chose a CB500? There's a world of nice, new bikes out there... Ah, parental influence I guess. Or did she by any chance look at Visordown's list and picked the all-time #1?

Daughter: CB with a restrictor kit then?
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 11:30 am

Yes, you meet the nicest people on a Honda, she's been told by her daddy Very Happy

In fact, she wasn't after a CB as she found it some kind of old-fashioned. Plus, she was looking for a sporty bike like the KTM Duke. On the other hand, she's only 160 cm tall, so she wasn't happy when trying the CB. The seat geometry did not fit, even with short rear shocks.

But some days ago, she sat on a CB with a lowered seat and mentioned that this would be a nice solution. We discussed several CB types and painting schemes and she wanted a 'furious looking' S-type Very Happy And, guess what? Now that she found 'her' bike she excuse the CB as the 'best bike ever' Wink

Yes, the bike has got a restriction kit (48 hp), but, unlike the older kits, it is a throttle cable restrictor. So, it feels like an unrestricted bike unless you're going to reach the Vmax. I guess she will be quite happy with it and, regarding the fact that she paid only 1300 EUR including new tyres, new MOT, new maintenance, tank coating, restrictor and a hand-made seat (including a stitched electric guitar on the seat cover), she got a very well value for her money. Lucky girl!

Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Fri 04 Sep 2015, 1:01 pm

Well €1,300 is an absolute bargain by the looks of it! Well wear!
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Sat 05 Sep 2015, 2:18 pm

As an owner of a ktm duke (12 plate, 16k miles), which has had more bits replaced than trigger's broom,  (and especially in light of the fact her old man can get it set up exactly as she wants), I'd say she's done better with the cb.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Sat 05 Sep 2015, 6:48 pm

Well, I tried out the Duke 390 and was very pleased about the handling. What a genious bike! But, to be honest, I would not call it an every day commuter and I would not like to take it for a holiday trip either. In my opinion it would be perfect as a second bike for short trips on twisty roads. 

In addition, even the Duke 390 is about three times as expensive compared to her CB. So, as a student she got what she can afford and, if she keeps that in mind, it could have gone worse... Wink
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Sun 06 Sep 2015, 2:53 pm

It's great fun, and I tried mine as a daily commuter. But no. It burns 700-1000 ml of oil (10/60) every thousand miles, and only holds 1.7 litres, so there's not much leeway. At 300 miles a week, the dealership recommended I top up every week. A trip to my parents (300 miles away) would mean I'd have to carry a litre with me.

My student days involved cycling 30 miles a day getting around. She's done very well!
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Sun 06 Sep 2015, 4:35 pm

Well, what's the meaning of "oil consumption"? Laughing
I can't remember one single CB that burned any oil. 1000ml per 1000mls means a mixture of about 1:60, this is what a two-stroke engine consumes  Shocked

What a pity, the Duke would be the perfect bike for twisty roads on a sunny summer morning, I guess. But your daily experience sounds quite annoying to me, and 10W60 is an expensive stuff.

I'm doing about 6,000mls a year with no extra expenses for oil. One oil exchange a year, that's all she needs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm