Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rechroming?

steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Rechroming?

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 7:13 pm

Same old fork seal has started leaking again so im gonna have to do more than change the bloody seal this time me thinks.

New is pricey, second hand is risky (unless its from a trusty forum member!) so ive had a little look at rechroming, still quite expensive but a lot cheaper at £140ish a pair Vs £220+ new.

Anyone had it done? got any views? or even better a pit free stanchion for a 2001 sy to sell Cool

Edd

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Rechroming?

Post by sullivj on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 7:20 pm

Edd,

The chrome will only be as good as the original stanchion. For that price, do they smooth them off somehow first?
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 7:26 pm

@sullivj wrote:Edd,

The chrome will only be as good as the original stanchion. For that price, do they smooth them off somehow first?

Here is a link to the site sull, sound like a good proccess.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 7:42 pm

Interesting read.. If the interior condition of your forks looks OK, I'd be tempted to give it a try.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 7:58 pm

Theres a crowd in  ashbourne, dublin , ireland called EG manley ,they do rechroming, ive heard they do great work, they quote me 200 euro for rechroming forks on cb, with sterling great on euro it mite be an option for u, the cousins mate has load of classic race bikes and he had them rechrome forks.
i believe the forks are ground down  to get rid of imperfections and then go through a few process and then rechromed (hard chromed) better than original.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 8:33 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Theres a crowd in  ashbourne, dublin , ireland called EG manley ,they do rechroming, ive heard they do great work, they quote me 200 euro for rechroming forks on cb, with sterling great on euro it mite be an option for u, the cousins mate has load of classic race bikes and he had them rechrome forks.
i believe the forks are ground down  to get rid of imperfections and then go through a few process and then rechromed (hard chromed) better than original.

Just had a look at the website for those guys (link) and they look like they know there stuff!

Cheers
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Thu 27 Aug 2015, 3:35 pm

@steady Eddy wrote:

@wornsprokets wrote:Theres a crowd in  ashbourne, dublin , ireland called EG manley ,they do rechroming, ive heard they do great work, they quote me 200 euro for rechroming forks on cb, with sterling great on euro it mite be an option for u, the cousins mate has load of classic race bikes and he had them rechrome forks.

Just had a look at the website for those guys (link) and they look like they know there stuff!

Cheers

I've dealt with the son before although nothing to do with Chrome! Lovely fellow and mad about bikes! Used to race AFAIR
magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

Post by magicman-alex on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 12:00 pm

I've had it done on two sets of CB500 forks. The company I used was pittedforks.co.uk. £165 for a pair of stanchions (including straightening, pickup and delivery).

The chrome is much better than the original stuff. Bit duller but I'm not too concerned about how shiny it is. Would call them first and check their turnaround time because I think it took about six weeks for mine to be done.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:27 pm