Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Experiences with the clutch

Experiences with the clutch

Post by Guest on Thu 20 Aug - 18:00

For a while changing gear from first to second would rather often end up in neutral followed by that  engine roar at 8k revs... tongue  you know the thing.
However just recently found out that if I put a little pressure (up) when in first then upon pulling in the clutch the gears almost instantly and without any clonking (as it used to do) noise goes into second... what a joy.
My question is as to whether this behaviour is a sign of something wearing or 'normalish'?
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Re: Experiences with the clutch

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 20 Aug - 20:18

1. You need to be firm with the gear lever. 
2. Make sure the clutch cable has 10-20mm play measured at the tip of the lever. 
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 24 Aug - 7:35

This sounds quite normal.

On my bike (and probably other peoples) you have to be very firm and positive to ensure you don't get stuck between 1st and 2nd gear.  I've got used to it (it is a flaw of the gearbox - it shouldn't be like that, but a lot of bikes are similar) and it still occasionaly happens to me when I'm not paying sufficient attention.

Post by Guest on Mon 24 Aug - 8:13

Great! Thanks for the feedback.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Mon 24 Aug - 8:17

One other thing: the quality and condition of the oil makes a difference to the slickness of gear changes.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Mon 24 Aug - 10:02

I used to have problems as well with the "fasle neutral" .. just be firm with your gear changes and it shouldnt happen! Nothing worse than hearing the revs soar like that!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul - 22:45