You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Hello from East Anglia...

jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Hello from East Anglia...

Post by jim157 on Sun 16 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm

Hi, my name's Jim.  I've just bought a 2002 CB500S for commuting and general pottering around duties.  I'll be looking for a few parts and advice as I've (inevitably) discovered a few problems with the bike.  It's generally in decent condition and low mileage but just needs a bit of tlc.

I also own a few other Hondas: two NC30's and a CRM250.  

Cheers!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Hello from East Anglia...

Post by sullivj on Sun 16 Aug 2015, 9:21 pm

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum.

What things have you discovered so far?

You say low mileage - what's low?  If you get the chance to post a picture, that would be great.

Like I said, welcome.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 16 Aug 2015, 10:52 pm

Welcome Jim! Very Happy
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Mon 17 Aug 2015, 9:49 am

Cheers, its done 14000 miles which I guess would be reasonably low for its age?

The fork stachions are very pitted, one of the bolts on the airbox just spins around, the brake fluid looks like coca cola and the red fairing has faded on one side to a delightful 'Brentwood bronze'.

Good points: It has a new pair of pilot activs, a new battery and the complete original toolkit.  I'll be giving it a going over in the next week or two, sorting the brakes and cleaning and balancing the carbs etc.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 17 Aug 2015, 10:43 am

welcome, yes that's low mileage there are a couple of lucky people around that figure but also on the 100,000+ so sounds like you have a bike for life there.

airbox problem is common although I have no decent suggestion on resolving it - I just scooped up a replacement on eBay when it happened to me.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 17 Aug 2015, 12:44 pm

Hello Jim, whereabouts in East Anglia are you? I'm in Beccles, Suffolk.
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:49 pm

I'm in Norwich mate.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:53 pm

I used to live in Norwich, in Bowthorpe. I know Norwich very well.
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Mon 17 Aug 2015, 7:32 pm

I've spent a bit of time around Bowthorpe/Three Score; well actually, I always seem to get lost around there, there seems to be so many dead ends and cul de sacs!

Just saw your message about the parts, I'll drop you a PM.
magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

Pitted stanchions

Post by magicman-alex on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 11:35 am

Hi Jim,

I've had two sets of CB500 stanchions re-chromed by pittedforks.co.uk. If you disassemble them yourself (which is an easy job if you follow the Haynes manual) and just send them the stanchions, then they charge £165 to straighten and re-chrome them, including collection and delivery. It's £265 if you want them to do the lot (it's an easy enough job to do yourself so I always save myself the £100).

The new chrome is loads better than the original stuff; so much stronger but not quite as shiny. The downside is that the turnaround time is about 6 weeks, IIRC, so you're without your bike for a good length of time.

Depending on the level of pitting, I've seen some some forums which say you can use Araldite. Never tried it myself. That being said - it's probably worth investing in getting them professionally re-chromed on a bike that you're likely to keep for a long time.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 Aug 2018, 11:46 am