Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

My Track bike project

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: My Track bike project

Post by Beresford on Sun 07 May 2017, 8:45 pm

It's just that a bellmouth of some sort is necessary for non-turbulent flow into the carb venturi. Also the length of the tract from inlet valve head to bellmouth lip is somewhat critical for your target rev range.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 07 May 2017, 9:09 pm

The adapter acts like a venturi, it's just more stable to clamp the filters to. A shorter venturi is better for higher revs.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 18 May 2017, 4:34 pm

Headway is being made, slowly but nevertheless Very Happy 
One of the filter adapters arrived, the other one has to come from America.

The carbs are now linked together and have a common operating rod. I wanted to keep the profile of the carbs as low as possible to give me clearance for the underside of the fuel tank. Hence the cable linkage is at the side where I have plenty of clearance.

On to the exhaust side now. As they say what goes in has to come out, so I have gone for large bore header pipes which will be held on to the head with springs rather than the conventional stud/bolt/flange method.
For this reason I had to machine a pair of spigots that do bolt onto the head (but they will stay fixed there) to locate the headers.
They were turned and bored out of 75mm solid steel bar. The last picture has a piece of the pipe that will be used to make the 2-1 system. It was handy to have a spare cylinder head to test fit them to.

Not sure what finish to put on the finished headers yet, I probably will leave such decisions until I can see it actually on the bike.
russellj

Post by russellj on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 5:27 pm

dear Andy,I have been reading track bike project article,fantastic reading,you say you break bikes now!I would love to speak to you,my contact no is 0785 800 1995,I live at Carlisle its a shame I am 300mls up the road from you!
Hope to hear from you,
Kind regards,
Russell Jones.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 12:53 pm

I haven't been able to do much recently due to time constraints etc, but I did manage to convert a lump of billet aluminium into a manual cam chain tensioner yesterday afternoon.
It's not completely finished yet as I'm waiting for the steel thread insert (m10 x 1.25) to finish the thread to the correct size, and I may or may not finish the shape to the same lines as the original.

I think the exhaust will be the next stage to tackle.
I do have a set of 74mm Wiseco pistons on their way to me from America along with a set of forged con rods.
They may be for a later stage in the project development, I'm just quite keen to get it up and running now.
I would prefer it to be functional rather than in it's present ornamental state Shocked
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 8:16 pm

Just made up a blanking plug to seal off the opening for the standard water pump as I plan to use an electric pump.
The 74mm wiseco pistons arrived all well and good, new rings are also on their way from the states.
It doesn't seem like much progress but it's progress none the less.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm

The electric pump is an intriguing idea. What make will you be using? It will be interesting to see your installation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:12 pm