Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Airbox repair

ceejay
the 800
the 800

Airbox repair

Post by ceejay on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 9:21 pm

Looks as though the airbox on my bike has previously had the problem of screw housings turning with the screws for the cover and somehow repaired. However on the inside of the air box I have noticed a small split near one of the screw housings. I'm not sure if any unfiltered air can get in through it but I don't really want to take that chance or spend 400 quid or whatever it is lings charge for a new airbox!

Can anyone recommend a repair? I was thinking of using some kind of glue/sealant etc just to fill the gap but obviously it would have to be something that stays there and not deteriorate. Any ideas appreciated!

(I'm currently working away from my bike for a week otherwise I'd add a photo of the problem!)
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Airbox repair

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 9:25 pm

Some black silicone sealant should do the job.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 9:31 pm

mine turned also and in a fit of rage i ripped the cover off - oops!

got a near new replacement off eBay for about £25
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 10:25 pm

Some black silicone sealant should do the job.

Cheers, will give this a go

sounds like a bargain, were the screws good? I think what put me off finding a second hand one was the thought that the screws would be knackered already and the work involved to get it in which to be fair I'm just guessing is quite a lot but haven't checked!
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 10:31 pm

sorry I only just noticed the 'near new' part so obviously the screws were good.. so it was a bargain : )
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 10:34 pm

@ceejay I've got an airbox that you can have for free + postage, no cracks from what I've seen/remember just a little mucky, screws and threads are good too. It's just sat under my bed taking up space.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 11:29 pm

ceejay wrote:

sorry I only just noticed the 'near new' part so obviously the screws were good.. so it was a bargain : )

it was listed as being off a dismantled bike at just over 4,000 miles - air filter was also in good nick and if memory serves I think I put it back and sold on eBay.

I was mighty nervous about opening it for the first time but I guess any good seller shouldn't have a problem with making sure the cover comes off?
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 6:30 pm

guess any good seller shouldn't have a problem with making sure the cover comes off?

true!

@ceejay I've got an airbox that you can have for free + postage, no cracks from what I've seen/remember just a little mucky, screws and threads are good too. It's just sat under my bed taking up space.

PM'd  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:48 pm