You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Quick indicator relay question

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Quick indicator relay question

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:17 am

Hi all,

My indicator flasher has been very slow in cold weather so I swapped it out for a new chinese type thing described as being for the cb 500. I also stuck new incandescent indicators on the back because 1 had broken when some lovely young person pushed my bike over. Since making these changes the indicators are really useless. They flash at the correct rate but only when they work which is probably less than 30% of the time. I have since figured out they work well with the brake lights on...for some reason.

I realised later the bulbs in the indicators were 23w not 21w but I figured that really shouldn't make a big difference. I am wondering if any old honda flasher will work if it has the correct fitting, like this one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR-600-FX-FY-MITSUBA-INDICATOR-FLASHER-RELAY-22-7-15-/161770717281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25aa494061  

I don't want any more chinrese rubbish and all the adds look like the same part. Acording to Lings, the cbr 600 and the humble 500 have different part no's but indicators are indicators, right? Also, could intermittent indicators be a sign of other electrical troubles growing like an old battery or useless rectifier?

I would appreciate any help anyone has because it can be a bit hairy without indicators!
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Re: Quick indicator relay question

Post by jimbobs63 on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 5:31 pm

Hi,

As you suggest, I certainly don't think the difference between 21W and 23W should be significant.  It seems that the Chinese one is indeed crap!

However, I've just purchased this "after market" 3 pin indicator relay off ebay for my anti-theft project (see other thread):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181811355981?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Got to be worth a punt at £3.99 and free postage!  I'm hoping to get it to drive a (second) horn and the indicator lights should someone try to steal my bike by hot-wiring the ignition. If that load is too much, it'll just drive the horn I guess...!

I may not get it fitted before I go on holiday, but I'll let you know if it works when I do.

Alternatively, these are being advertised as CB500-specific - can't tell if they're worth it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-500-V-1997-500-CC-Indicator-Relay-/360614784249?hash=item53f650ecf9

Jim
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 6:11 pm

I've got 23Wat 12v indicators on my bike and I've got no problems with mine, in fact it's just passed an mot with no problems with the indicators. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400747680559
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 10:02 am

Thanks for the info Jim,

The ebay add you posted was the item that I bought. Maybe it was just a duff 1 and it would be worth buying another one and taking part in the lottery of crap chinese parts again. Anyone know why there are different flasher models for different bikes? Is it just a marketing thing or is there actually a reason not to stick whatever flasher on there and be on your way. (assuming the  connector is the right style of course)
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Wed 05 Aug 2015, 2:47 pm

Thanks liverpool_f_

When it arrives I'll test it by hooking it up first just to a horn, secondly to the horn and one side of indicators (two), then finally to all four indicators, and I'll see how it copes.

I'll let you know...!

Jim

Post by Guest on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 8:40 am

Here are some used OEM indicator relays...

http://www.boonstraparts.com/en/parts/mke=Honda/mdl=CB%20500%20+%20S%20%28CB500%20CB500S%20MY5%20PC26%20+%20PC32%29/prt=Turn%20Signal%20Relay/

May just be what you need. Good luck.

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 12:30 pm

Hello, can anyone tell me is it the 3 pin one I need? Most of the ebay links on this page are no longer valid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indicator-Relay-for-1999-Honda-CB-500-X-Twin-499cc/282377834231?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 12:41 pm

@BallisticBrian wrote:Hello, can anyone tell me is it the 3 pin one I need? Most of the ebay links on this page are no longer valid.

Yup it's the 3pin you need, make sure it's not a round one that's shown though as they don't fit without extending the wiring. I've got some spare OEM ones (Mitsuba) if you want to make me an offer.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 1:42 pm

might not be relevant to you but I was swapping relays and 21/23w indicators for a while to resolve issues before I worked out that I just needed to charge up my battery.

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 1:59 pm

cheers guys
Is this the one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB-500-1997-FLASHER-INDICATOR-RELAY/282653315192?

I could well be a battery charge. Indicating left kinda works, a bit slow, have to hit the switch twice. Indicating right won't stay on, need to hold the switch across.

This is the bike that the immobiliser spiked while riding a blew half my lights out and although it was occasionally bad at indicating it's worse now, also cold weather too. The new battery was used quite a lot cranking when diagnosing the rectifier etc and has never had a charge.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 5:57 pm

Also try giving the indicator switch a thorough clean. On my Honda Firestorm it was this which turned out to be to blame for my indicators being erratic and slow to start. 

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 6:02 pm

thanks - I had that apart and cleaned it with switch cleaner this morning prior to posting. (and did slightly improve) Can anyone confirm if the link I posted is to the correct shape flasher unit just in case charging the battery doesn't do it?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Sep 2018, 6:29 am