Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Speedo cables!

Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Speedo cables!

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:07 am

I've been through 3 speedo cables in the 3 years I've been riding the CB500. Very annoying, it always seems to happen when I'm on a long motorway journey. Fitted a new one now, filled with oil in the hopes it makes it last longer, though I've done that with all of the previous ones.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Speedo cables!

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:13 am

Have they been honda ones or non honda ones, try one you havent used Very Happy does seem odd to break that much

Last edited by wornsprokets on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:14 am

How do they break? do they just snap inside, seize up or something else?
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:56 am

Mine broke on friday, just waiting for my replacement (£6.50 ebay) to arrive.

It was snapped near the bottom, im thinking that is where the most stress is as thats where it bends most.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 12:35 pm

I'm not sure that filling it with oil is the best plan - I would have thought it would leak out!

I grease mine and have only had to replace it once, however I may not do as many miles as you.

I also suspect it is to do with the bend - do you use the 'normal' cable routing for yours?
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 6:08 pm

Yeah cable route is normal. They snap near the bend as pointed out, I do about 12K miles a year. I fill them with gear oil thinking it's thick and should hang about, maybe I should try grease. Does anybody else seem to have as many of them snap?
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 6:55 pm

I've had 4 throttle close cables snap over the years, never the throttle open one though.
Clutch cable snapped on the way down to Cornwall last week, luckily had spare under saddle!
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 7:12 am

third year with the bike and on my third cable too. Mine also seems to go while on a faster ride out. I've just bought any old cable from ebay as i didn't think it would matter all that much...
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 4:47 pm

Do speedo cables break?

In other words: No, I haven't broken mine - yet. Snapped the clutch cable once, but having been warned by the frayed strands at the lever end I happened to be on my way home from the shop with the replacement cable in my rucksack. Once again the OE toolkit showed its worth. It really is pretty much all you need for doing roadside repairs.

I'm wondering if your speedo is somehow hard to turn, causing higher load on the cable?

Regarding throttle shut-cable: Aren't the throttle butterfly valves spring-operated? I'm asking because my bike sometimes seems to rev on a little bit longer than what I think my hand tells it to do. A sort of out-of-sync-sensation...
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 5:49 pm

Thoroughly greased and fitted my new cable today and im a little disappointed with it.

The problem is that the thread on the top part that connects to the speedo isnt right and i dont dare put it on any more than what i have, so its not fully butted up.

Can see this causing a break with it dangling at a bit of an angle, and this also seems to causing the needle to jump around from 10-20mph. Sad
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Post by geoffnorfolk on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 7:22 pm

@steady Eddy wrote:Thoroughly greased and fitted my new cable today and im a little disappointed with it.

The problem is that the thread on the top part that connects to the speedo isnt right and i dont dare put it on any more than what i have, so its not fully butted up.

Can see this causing a break with it dangling at a bit of an angle, and this also seems to causing the needle to jump around from 10-20mph. Sad

Can't you return the cable? I always reckon its best to fit the genuine cables....... they always fit perfectly and they're good quality. I know they cost more but it's not that much and if they last longer, you might have saved some money too.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 7:48 pm

@geoffnorfolk wrote:
Can't you return the cable?

Ahh you win some you lose some, and for little over a fiver I'll just take it on the chin and replace it when it goes.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:56 pm

@stormbringer wrote:Regarding throttle shut-cable: Aren't the throttle butterfly valves spring-operated? I'm asking because my bike sometimes seems to rev on a little bit longer than what I think my hand tells it to do. A sort of out-of-sync-sensation...

Yes it does snap shut, but I do notice that the throttle is slower to close when the deceleration cable snaps, it may be worth checking Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 7:58 pm