Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Abba bike stand

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Abba bike stand

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 02 Aug 2015, 9:31 pm

Just wondering any body have any experience of the abba superbike stand, i know probabably dont need for a cb, but picked up secondhand  one  for my fireblade,just have to order correct frame holders cups .
Pukka
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Re: Abba bike stand

Post by Pukka on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 12:22 am

I like mine. Much more stable than using those fork/swingarm stands.

I'd reccommend buying the swingarm removal kit which is going to work with a large majority of bikes rather than just buying bike specific kits each time u want to use a different bike!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 8:25 am

Looks like a decent bit of kit. If you're lucky with them both being Hondas the fireblade kit will the cb too.

Unfortunately after browsing their website I now feel my life would be incomplete without the Sky Lift. affraid
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 9:34 am

I've got one for my Street Triple, as was described to me and now I have one totally I'd agree that for just quick maintenance i.e. cleaning and the odd job a paddock stand is far quicker and easier but for lifting the front end or doing any involved work its worth every penny (especially as you cant use a front paddock stand on the triple due to uneven forks!)

couple of pics from when I swapped out the front end to the 'R' fully adjustable forks and 4-pot mono's on each side.

EDIT: damnit ashcroc just looked at their site - while I can live without the skylift I now want to get the front lift arm and swing arm removal kit.... despite having no job to currently deem it necessary Rolling Eyes
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Wed 19 Aug 2015, 9:21 pm

Can anyone confirm which fitting kit would be compatible with the CB as I can't find any info on the ABBA site. 

Cheers.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 19 Aug 2015, 9:22 pm

I've been looking for the same info...
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 19 Aug 2015, 9:32 pm

I havent tried the cb on abba bike stand, i have set for  my 96 fireblade, it mite be same i let u know by wkd
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:46 am

The adapters for my nc30 are the wrong size.   I've emailed Abba, so I'll report back when I get a definitive answer.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 11:51 am

I only skimmed your reply last night Jim (was half asleep) and managed to miss the bit where you said you'd mailed them so being none the wiser I gave them a call this morning and had a chat with a guy who seemed very helpful and mentioned he'd been e-mailling someone else regarding a CB500.

apparently now that he knows the recess is 38.5mm what he now needs to know is the socket size of the nut and the head size for the opposite end - presumably to make sure the insert has internal clearance so he can match it up to the closest kit.
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 10:25 pm

Ha, quite a coincidence Jerry!  I did actually mail him earlier with the dimensions.  For reference it's a 22mm bolt on the right hand side and 17mm on the left hand side.

He said that they dont list fitments for the CB500 as they are fitted with centre stands, and they didnt think they'd be much demand.  I'd have thought that with the amount of CB's being raced over the years (sans centre stand) there would be enough people interested?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 10:29 pm

I think for speed and cost they'd probably go more in for paddock stands.

he mentioned about checking their existing fitments for similar dimensions - did he do that or is he going to get back to you?
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 10:35 pm

Yes, he's going to check their existing fitments for compatibility.  He did say they'd sold kits to CB owners in the past but couldn't remember which ones fitted.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:15 pm

....just a thought BUT the Abba swing-arm removal system would should work as an adapter as it would bolt into the hanger bracket - hardly convenient unless it was feasible to leave them in permanently but it'd do the job

http://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=swing-arm-removal-kit&pid=21
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:26 pm

Good point Jerry, I've actually got one of those unused in a bag somewhere. I'll have to dig it out if Abba dont come up trumps.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

cool, have a go and see if it fits (ahem..... before I buy one) lol
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:41 pm

Well, that didn't work.  Unfortunately the footrest hanger bolts on the CB are m10's and the abba swinging arm kit uses m8 bolts.  I guess the adapters could be modified but then they wouldn't fit my other bikes.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:45 pm

...what would that be? just changing the bolt and boring out the hole in the adapter?

maybe if Abba didn't warrant making a kit for the CB500 and there isn't a suitable existing kit in their range could try seeing if they'd do an M10 version of the swing arm removal kit as surely that would increase how many bikes it could be used for (maybe including some models they do see as profitable markets Smile )

certainly when I was building the CB to have it on the Abba would have been great, as it is we just had to hold the frame up allot and fit the center stand asap.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm

(btw have you tried it on the swing arm with no adapter installed? so its just the unit supplied cups?)

jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 1:14 pm

Yep, the adapter would need to be modified using a bench drill.  Unfortunately I dont have one to try and I'd probably knacker the adapter anyway.

I cant see any other way using the abba stand using the existing parts I have unfortunately.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 2:33 pm

Just spoke to the Abba guy and they do a swingarm removal kit that comes out to an M10.

That said with the dimensions you provided as it happens the fitting kit for the later CB500X/Y will also work for our earlier model CB500's which is good as I can really get my moneys worth out of my stand (and maybe even loose the center stand!).
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 3:14 pm

Haha, I just asked him the same question about the swinging arm kit, after he'd informed me that the later CB500 kit would fit!

It's all a bit:-

Very Happy
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 3:16 pm

I'm bored and impatient - i also quizzed him for discount but apparently you beat me to it on that question Wink

(he told you no right?????! lol)
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 3:23 pm

I didnt actually ask for discount, as knowing my luck they would've increased the price!  I just bit the bullet and ordered a set.  Need to get them asap so I can fit a shiny new set of YSS shocks and some upgraded forks.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 3:28 pm

have you still got the center stand on it? I currently get it on that, rock it onto one side and pop a bit of 4x2 under it then back and nudge it under the otherside to work on the rear or weigh down the rear end or jack up the front to take the weight off to do the front.

I asked for discount as we'd be able to say for sure if it worked or not but seemed very confident it would. he quoted me 21.95 delievered but I might just get them from m&p on ebay 20.10
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 4:04 pm

I've got no centre stand unfortunately, although I might fit one for the convenience element.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:57 am