Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

[solved]Indicators flashing eratically

chickenchaser
Squiddy
Squiddy

[solved]Indicators flashing eratically

Post by chickenchaser on Mon 20 Jul 2015, 4:25 pm

Hi all, my dads bike had no working indicators when it arrived.
I cleaned up the switch and pumped it full of wd40, this got the relay merrily clicking away and one of the indicators (clicking and flashing fast).
The existing indicators were a mess so changed for some cheap replacements with filament bulbs and now they all work.
The problem i have is they all flash very fast. I have tried to check the bulbs but think they will bust if i try removing them. I have used the same indicators on another bike with no problems so i am hoping its not mismatched bulbs and that i have an earth issue.
Can anyone tell me where the indicators should be earthed so i can check/clean this ?
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Re: [solved]Indicators flashing eratically

Post by geoffnorfolk on Mon 20 Jul 2015, 11:24 pm

All the indicators will have their own separate green earth wire which should link up with various other earth wires from other components to an earthing point somewhere on the bike. If this earthing point was not functioning, numerous other components would not function. I reckon you really need to check the wattage of the bulbs before you do anything else........ doesn't it say on the box the indicators came in? Also, check the connections from the relay are nice and clean. The fact that it flashes fast on both sides suggests its not a fault with the wiring that connects each indicator.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 20 Jul 2015, 11:44 pm

Iirc Hondas generally use 21w indicator bulbs. The ones you've fitted are most likely only 10w given the symptoms you've described.

Post by Guest on Wed 22 Jul 2015, 2:46 pm

The switching relay will start clicking fast when overloaded, say 100W load @ 12V, or when short circuited. As your lights do work it may be an overload somehow, or a worn flasher relay? ...
chickenchaser
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by chickenchaser on Sat 25 Jul 2015, 5:50 pm

New 21w bulbs arrived today, fitted them and all is now working correctly.
Thanks for the advice, hopefully it will now pass its mot so i can get it out of my workshop and get my triumph sorted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:38 pm