Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Coolant questions

Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Coolant questions

Post by Celt500 on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 12:06 am

The other day after about 5 or 10 minutes crawling in slow moving traffic (couldn't be bothered filtering) the fan came on with the temp needle about half way. It just seemed to be getting hotter and hotter though and by the time I parked up things were getting very toasty on board! Thing is, it wasn't that warm, only 18C and cloudy.
Time to use that new coolant that's been sitting in the hall for weeks, but...

Does this sound normal?
Should I bother doing a radiator flush?
Can you drain the reservoir without taking out the battery and/or airbox? I couldn't figure out how this evening. scratch
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: Coolant questions

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 12:15 am

sounds pretty normal I think.....

as for your other questions you can take the hose off the bottom of the expansion tank to drain it but the bolt by the water pump should empty the system anyway (advisable to replace the copper washer). once it's empty can pop a hose in the filler under the tank to flush it through and/or even remove a couple of hoses to have a clean up as more than likely there will be crud build up inside the joins.

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:46 am

I did a flush once. Took off petrol tank, opened coolant filler cap, removed small bolt to drain old coolant, removed hose expansion tank to drain that one too. Then did a complete refill with flushing product, let it do its job. Same again with clear water to remove flushing product. Then a refill with proper coolant (watch out for mixing different colours. Added a new copper washer to seal the drain bolt; On a warmish day say 20°C the fan does come on in city when going slow but not for long. Btw not much crud came out when flushing for mine... good luck. Oh, and Haynes did a job job taking me through the process.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:53 am

well I say it sounds normal, but thinking about it again this morning I'd change that to it doesn't sound unusual.

quite often regardless of ambient temperature if I'm doing allot stop/start riding, filtering and continually pulling away with quite a bit of gusto it will drive the temperature up absolutely to the point of the fan coming on and takes awhile of calm riding with allot of airflow to settle and that's been the same on all of my bikes.

that said if the coolant is old it can't hurt to change in accordance of the service schedule, have a visual inspection of the rad fins and test the thermostat.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 12:04 pm

Is there any evidence whatsoever that the PC32s are calibrated to show slightly warmer temps than the PC26s? My V model definitely runs a tad hotter than my R model did, which for a while l ascribed to some fault (which there also was, but which I sorted - blocked coolant union in the carbs amongst other things) but the behaviour described in this post is absolutely the same as mine behaves now. 

It could also be a thermostat that doesn't fully open...I did check mine when I was troubleshooting it running really hot but might do so again 'in more detail'. 

My temp gauge moves to about 1/3 of the way up, away from its normal cruising position just above the white square, if I do lots of high-rev work on a warm day and then slow down for a 40 or 30 speed limit. I'm sure my R model didn't do this, but either I'm imagining it, or I'm right about the systems being slightly differently calibrated, or I still have a slight problem with mine...or I should stop worrying. 

Celt500, what year is your bike?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 12:59 pm

That sounds pretty like my 1997 bike - not much happens until the gauge gets above half way, then the fan turns on, the temperature on the gauge then stops rising or falls, depending on conditions.

I have changed my coolant and done a flush in the past but not much crud came out (thankfully).

I would suggest that if you are at all concerned then you flush the system when you get the chance - old, bad coolant doesn't work as well as freshly mixed proper stuff. You then won't have to worry about doing it again for a few years.

BTW AFAIK the expansion tank *can't* be emptied by using the drain bolt by the water pump - you are best to remove the hose on the bottom of the tank and drain it that way, then flush it out.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 1:16 pm

ah, thanks - I couldn't remember..... I've only emptied mine during the strip down.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 4:11 pm

A blast of low pressure / high volume air with a leaf blower through the filler is good to get the last of the coolant / flush from the system.
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 6:36 pm

I finally found the hose where you drain the reservoir, so that's progress!

I ran a few litres of water through the system till it ran clear but didn't bother with the flush stuff. Not yet anyway.
Now I'm wondering if I've done this right though because I only fit about 1.5 litres of new coolant. This is including the reservoir. I will take the tank off and check the level again later once it's cooled down but this doesn't seem like very much.
It occurred to me I drained it on the centre stand, could this make the difference? (Don't have a leaf blower or similar.)

When it got hot the other day I don't think (not sure) the needle got beyond halfway. It's just that when the fan came on it kept getting hotter... and hotter... It was starting to get a bit uncomfortable and worrying from where I was sitting! Embarassed I'm not used to riding in jeans though.

Mine is an '02 S model by the way.

Oh, also rad fins look ok (I've just brushed some of the crud off but wasn't too bad) and I tested the thermostat before Christmas. Not accurately with a thermometer but it does open and close.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:31 pm

I've had the temp still rising with the fan on when stuck in traffic before but it's been enough to keep it out of the red & cooled back down once moving again.

If anything I'd have thought you'd get a bit more fluid out on the center stand instead of the side stand as the draining point is on the offside.  The lower amount of coolant will probably just be down to fluid (water from the flush in your case) left in parts of the system that don't follow gravity.  It's possible you may have an air lock somewhere but bringing the engine up to temp with the filler cap loose should bleed that out.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:43 pm

The drain point would be on the near side (water pump)
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:48 pm

Oh yeah. Silly me got mixed up with the clutch. Embarassed In that case forget what I said, a bit more will drain out if on the side stand but you still won't get all of it out just by gravity.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 16 Jul 2015, 12:28 pm

@Celt500 wrote:
When it got hot the other day I don't think (not sure) the needle got beyond halfway. It's just that when the fan came on it kept getting hotter... and hotter... It was starting to get a bit uncomfortable and worrying from where I was sitting! Embarassed I'm not used to riding in jeans though.

If you are wearing jeans then it that makes the temperature seem worse - especially if you normally ride in thicker clothing!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:34 pm