You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Hello from Derbyshire

WaldoMcBaldo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Hello from Derbyshire

Post by WaldoMcBaldo on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 10:44 pm

Hello all, I'm Jack from Shirland In Derbyshire. I used to have bikes a few years back (Suzuki GS 125, then a Kawasaki ER-5 and finally a Yamaha FZ6) but I had to sell the FZ when we had that really bad winter a few years back. It was my only form of transport and after being off the road for a month or so I realised I needed a car. I've been bikeless ever since, however my Fiance and I just bought a house and I've turned the garage into a workshop and set my mind on having a 'project' bike. I always liked my old ER-5 for it's simplicity and the 'if I drop it I'll fix it' mentality so I wanted another twin...

...So I've just bought a 64,000 mile CB500 sight unseen from ebay. She's a 2 owner bike, runs well just cosmetically a bit tatty, needs a service, new brake disks, new front tyre and an MOT. She's also currently in pieces in the garage...I'll get more photos up when I get chance.

Current plans are - Strip down, clean up, twin foam socks on the carbs, rejet, repaint the bodywork with a matte grey rubberised under body paint (trust me on this), service, new rubber, MOT and go...Until the engine goes pop (Which it may or may not, I'll get a boroscope down the plug 'oles and have a look at the cylinders) in which case I'll buy a spare engine and build that up to drop in it. It's got a reasonable Scorpion can on it at the moment so hopefully I'll turn it into a bit of a ratty screamer. Four cyls are fun but too common, so I'll go for a screaming twin!

Thanks for reading, if there are any other local riders I'd be up for a meet when I get her on the road. it'd be nice to ride with a group as I always used to explore the Peak District solo.

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Hello from Derbyshire

Post by Beresford on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 12:24 am

@WaldoMcBaldo wrote:Current plans are - Strip down, clean up, twin foam socks on the carbs, rejet,..........

I think you'll find that that won't work. The engine needs its' airbox to function correctly, and without it there will be a considerable loss of power and much flatspotting.
PS - Welcome to the site.

Last edited by Beresford on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 7:02 am

Welcome to the site and thanks for the photo - looks like a nice reliable steed.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 8:39 am

welcome. not a bad looking bike, ive seen worse on the road, lol. as above, keep the airbox, they work very well, just put a K&N filter in.
WaldoMcBaldo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by WaldoMcBaldo on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 10:20 am

@Beresford wrote:

@WaldoMcBaldo wrote:Current plans are - Strip down, clean up, twin foam socks on the carbs, rejet,..........

I think you'll find that that won't work. The engime needs its' airbox to function correctly, and without it there will be a considerable loss of power and much flatspotting.
PS - Welcome to the site.

Ah! Well there you go, I'll get it wedged back in then as it's currently sat on my garage floor in the 'parts bin' pile! Cheers for the info!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 10:54 am

Welcome Jack, looks nice and tidy! Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 12:58 pm

I bet it won't go pop - they are normally pretty good with putting up with lots of miles and lots of abuse without going pop, so you could well be onto a winner.

Would be great to see a few more photos.

They are all right about the airbox (you need it!) Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 10:21 am