Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Greetings from Dublin

Ogmios

Greetings from Dublin

Post by Ogmios on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:07 pm

Hi all,
me mammy told me 'good manners cost nothing' so here i am introducing myself. tongue 
cant say i'll be a big or regular contributor to be honest - but if a contact in Dublin is any use to you guys - let me know, i'd be happy to assist.  Wink
Just 'acquired' an '02 CB500S off a friend in return for a favour i did him / i'm wondering if i may regret it later! Rolling Eyes 
ANYhow,
I could post pics, but dont want to upset the purists - this thing is a total rat!
It may well be a grand Bike under the hand painted bits and fur of oil and ali oxide...
hey - for now, i dont care - it runs, it's fun and it will all come together ... eventually.

~~~
Og,
... p.s; do you really have to use 10w30 or 10w40 semi synth oil? Crying or Very sad
You mean i cant use 20w50 mineral that i have left over from me old Guzzi? Shocked 
(only half joking clown  )
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Greetings from Dublin

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:16 pm

Hi mate cb a great bike, ive have had loads other more powerful bikes, 10/40  semi be fine,  cb good for huge mileage, u wont regret it
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 02 Jul 2015, 1:02 pm

Hello!

My bike is very ratty too - you should post the pictures - you won't offend anyone, we'd be interested in having a look.

You won't regret getting a CB500, even one that is in a bit of a state!
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Thu 02 Jul 2015, 6:35 pm

Love the picture!

"I remember saying something like: "I feel a little lightheaded, maybe you should drive"..."
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 6:36 pm

Welcome mate!
Come on, put a photo up Wink
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 9:00 pm

yep need a picci
Ogmios

Post by Ogmios on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 9:45 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
I will get some pics sorted - i'll try to, next week ... work permitting. Wink

Until then, imagine a standard CB5 with;
 a little rust, a lot of furry ali, so much oil (from the Snotoiler) cacked under the engine, swingarm, the rear end and of course - all over the  back wheel - that i'm surely losing about 10 BHP with the extra weight! ... oh - and there's feck all on the chain Mad
Where the ali isn't furry, there's silver paint applied to anything that was even vaguely 'grey' and previously shiny - with an emulsion brush and nail polish (yes, really) in Honda blue touching up the tank. Shocked  
All fasteners appear seized - apart from the ones that aren't there at all.
Duck tape, insulating tape used in vast amounts.
Exhaust so holed that it blows more out a hole in the front of the (Hah! Razz ) "silencer" than the exit hole at the back end.
Entire Bike rattles like (to steal a comment about old BMW top ends) "two skeletons making love in a biscuit tin". Rolling Eyes
 And i have the naffest ever blue anodised 'bar end weights.

Good points;
 yes, there are some.
'Bars risers fitted - i couldn't ride it without.
Scotoiler fitted / soon to be working. I like shafties, and not had a chain drive for years.

... nearly forgot;
 ~ goes like a frisky greyhound on Red Bull.
 ~ handles damn well, very flickable, torquey and copes well two up (happy Mrs Og - most important! Wink )
 ~ wow! - it's light.
 ~ looks like it will be cheap to run, which i must remember is the reason i got it....
 ... not be be a hooligan and misbehave.

~~
Og Very Happy

Last edited by Ogmios on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i did a typoo)
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 10:19 pm

Yes cb , handles well  , and it has form there was race series at one time, exhausts rot and down pipes, build quality went down bit when they started building them in italy. For what it is not slow, havent been out on blade this year its all been cb:)   none are mint unless very low miles . Its my 10th bike and i enjoy it most days until regulator went pop, got new one now . It has its problems as there old bike now but there minor ones
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 3:22 am

FUGGIT THIS IS A MAGNIFICENT MACHINE SO ALL BOW DOWN............................and it's DUCT tape ....not duck tape for cr****ake
Sorry, it's saturday night and drink has been taken.....
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 10:37 am

Duck is a brand of duct tape Bere Razz
Sounds like you've got quite a mission ahead of you Og, it's labour of love though Smile
Ogmios

Post by Ogmios on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 10:52 pm

Duck  or Duct ~ i dont give a F...
 ... fig, yeah fig will do. tongue
 Actually I prefer the posher Gaffer tape myself. Cool
As for this Bike being a 'mission' - i dont think so (o.k. now i've jinxed it Rolling Eyes ).
I'm feeling lucky as i know its history and while it's certainly been neglected, it's never been abused.
Point being; nobodies f*cked about with it!
All work should hopefully be restore, not replace.
Mostly labour / little cost.
Take it apart, clean it, lube it, adjust it, fit it and move on to the next bit.

Meanwhile use it. Wink
Ogmios

Post by Ogmios on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 4:28 pm

O.k. - i shall attempt to load some pics of La bouquet de rust ~ sorry - apparently it already has a name; CyBil... Rolling Eyes 
Ahem.
some before and after of the exhaust and one showing its delightful 'patina'.
I know the exhaust job is a bodge and wont last - but a friend has already offered to sort that for me. Surprised 
His last job was a GSXR silencer onto an Audi Shocked  so i cant wait to see WTF he's going to do to this!!! Very Happy

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2tRIwZiDEXxLsZLAv_wF-Y1sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JFOKj2Uqm8ekFJFSV6u3cI1sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oBhMeeSPrXStA6uus3t1V41sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/im38ikNT3UmVs4jMGeXfKY1sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zzsZB0Ce8eXSNAZo-1DzHI1sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 7:08 pm

Some matt black over it and it'll be all right Wink
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 7:25 pm

how about some gungum tape Very Happy
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 8:12 pm

Your fix is better than my Spitfire tinnie! Razz
Bit of rubbing down and a lick of paint, all will be well Wink
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:07 pm

Looks in similar condition to mine, it will be fine Smile

My exhaust also went in a very similar place - I bodged it up for ages and eventually I managed to find an aftermarket ('Fuel' brand) replacement can - sounds much better and most of the exahust now goes out the back.
Ogmios

Post by Ogmios on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 5:16 pm

Proper pics as promised.
(cant figure out how to load them here confused  - so the link is the best i can do)

You may think i have described as worse than it appears - The Bike is a bit like myself;
looks fine from a distance .... but up close ... No 
  Laughing 

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sWvpcYsG3w3kASdlMpNGfo1sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PZiwXlLLQubyoRtPuP1XIo1sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FZAIS_RQLQj8kP4PAkero41sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d9fHdfKv7SDPFv0uRm3YAI1sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dqabeCdWzYOdddY2mmr96o1sRQPF9tr39gR5LQuchd0?feat=directlink
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 7:27 pm

it is still well salvageable though
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 09 Jul 2015, 12:40 pm

Looks even better in those new photos Smile

I see that it has a 'go faster' slide-mark down one side of the fairing - I am assuming this was down to the previous owner?

I think someone earlier mentioned matt black paint... something I have applied to mine in copious quantities! It's a bit easier for me 'cos mine is black to start with.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 09 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm

skyrider wrote:it is still well salvageable though

absolutely, mine was in a similar condition - just depends on how far you want to go with it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 7:53 pm