Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Brake Bleeding

steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Brake Bleeding

Post by steady Eddy on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 5:52 pm

I started getting a spongy rear brake a few weeks ago and noticed the level was low so topped up.

It was still a bit spongy after so thought i might have trapped air but it worked ok for what u use a rear brake for.But as of today its gone quite bad so had a bit of a look when i got home from work and can see signs of a leak onto the inside of the exhaust, needless to say i will need to investigate that further hopefully tomorrow if it aint raining again.

But what i wanted to ask is can anyone recommend a brake bleeding kit please as ive had a quick look on ebay and there lots of different types.

Cheers
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: Brake Bleeding

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 5:56 pm

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/tools-diy/tools-tool-kits/europat-vizibleed-brake-and-clutch-bleeding-kit

think it came with a one way valve on the tube - which i cut off so its just a plastic tube into some fluid I put in the container. simple. works just as expected and done about half a dozen bleeds with it.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 7:14 pm

I tend to reverse bleed these days. There are tons of vids on YouTube & the cost of a large syringe or 2 & some aquarium tubing is nominal.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 8:17 pm

should only really need to do that when priming an empty system and that being the case I like the trick of filling the MC and then popping the caliper end banjo and popping it into the MC resivoir - fill and then keep pumping till no air bubbles come out. that way when you quickly connect it back to the caliper you only have to get the air out the caliper as the MC and hose are already done.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 9:29 pm

Yes ive used the one way valve pipe from halfrauds Smile have done gud few bleeds with it and no probs,
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 2:31 pm

Cheers guys Halfrauds it is Wink
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 4:55 pm

Have a look in the motorbike section in Halfrauds. They do a bleed kit with a non return valve, isnt on the website. Costs about a tenner, saves so much time and effort, no need to keep tightening/loosening  the bleed nipple while you pump the fluid through
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 5:34 pm

@arrison wrote:Have a look in the motorbike section in Halfrauds. They do a bleed kit with a non return valve, isnt on the website. Costs about a tenner, saves so much time and effort, no need to keep tightening/loosening  the bleed nipple while you pump the fluid through
Yes i seen that one but too late i bought the other.

Ive bled the back brake and the pedal is still going down way too far and is still getting stuck when pressed hard.
I also discovered that the fluid was not leaking at all...reservoir was overfull! (though it was empty when i couldnt see the top line). Embarassed

Looking at haynes im now thinking the master cylinder might need an overhaul.
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm

Wemoto sell rebuild kits for that, cost about 15 quid
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 28 Jun 2015, 8:49 am

not a hard job to overhaul - I did mine and my only experience before that was doing the front.

oddly if memory serves the rebuild kit is stupidly priced at £60. if you aren't looking to pay that they sell on eBay for about half that but be warned some look rather grotty and even though I picked the cleanest one I could it still turned up with a leak.

if you are going this far it's not a big job to rebuild the rear caliper too - maybe braided hoses while your at it lol........ and people wonder how I went over budget on my rebuild Rolling Eyes

oh. and DO NOT - I REPEAT DO NOT buy NON-HONDA rebuild components!!!!!!!!!!

(most) the Honda ones aren't badly priced buy seeing as I had a big order with Wemoto I decided what the hell and ordered their caliper piston rebuild kit on the front. Result? sticking pistons....... one of them was over so slightly too small. I then paid out for Honda ones which came I a sealed Brembo bag with lubrication fluid. Perfect fit, job done

and one last thing if your threaded bar that goes into the rear MC is grotty and you fancy replacing it for a whole £11 do it early as it has to come from Japan and takes ages!
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:04 pm

Had a bit of a mare with a new master cylinder i bought from wemoto that just wasnt compatible for a number of reasons, so they kindly refunded me and have sent me a rebuild kit (which should arrive tomorrow).

Ive stripped down my master cylinder and the bore looks good so im ready to go tomorrow and cant wait to have a back brake again that works well!

I have a question about the banjo bolt, in the haynes manual it says to torque it to the specific setting but im worried that the hole in the side may not line up with the hose to the caliper....does it have to? or is there a recess in the part that loops round the banjo bolt?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:14 pm

There's enough clearance between the banjo & the bolt for the fluid to route through. The copper washers either side of the banjo form the seal.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:19 pm

@ashcroc wrote:There's enough clearance between the banjo & the bolt for the fluid to route through. The copper washers either side of the banjo form the seal.

Thanks, thats put my mind at ease Smile

What can i worry about next i wonder? Very Happy
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:38 pm

@steady Eddy wrote:Had a bit of a mare with a new master cylinder i bought from wemoto that just wasnt compatible for a number of reasons, so they kindly refunded me and have sent me a rebuild kit (which should arrive tomorrow).

Ive stripped down my master cylinder and the bore looks good so im ready to go tomorrow and cant wait to have a back brake again that works well!

I have a question about the banjo bolt, in the haynes manual it says to torque it to the specific setting but im worried that the hole in the side may not line up with the hose to the caliper....does it have to? or is there a recess in the part that loops round the banjo bolt?

I could have told you about the Wemoto MC as I bought one of these to begin with. The problem was that (if I remember) the threaded bar wasn't aslong, came with rectangle tank and the mounting holes weren't threaded so the OE bolts didn't work. Looked to me like it came off a CBR125 or something.

The one they sent me even came in a David Silver Spares bag - so I called them and asked is it for a CB500. There response was pretty much wtf why are Wemoto supplying our parts and said it was a generic unit.

Anyway like you I sent it back and got my money back. I'm surprised they are still selling it for the CB500! Buyer beware with Wemoto - I'm pretty sure I said that earlier? maybe I should have been more general Smile

As for the Banjo bolt rotation makes no difference at all and if I remember right compared to other bikes the torque value is scarily high! I just did most as high as I dared.

Dan
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:55 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:

@steady Eddy wrote:Had a bit of a mare with a new master cylinder i bought from wemoto that just wasnt compatible for a number of reasons, so they kindly refunded me and have sent me a rebuild kit (which should arrive tomorrow).

I could have told you about the Wemoto MC as I bought one of these to begin with. The problem was that (if I remember) the threaded bar wasn't aslong, came with rectangle tank and the mounting holes weren't threaded so the OE bolts didn't work. Looked to me like it came off a CBR125 or something.

The one they sent me even came in a David Silver Spares bag - so I called them and asked is it for a CB500. There response was pretty much wtf why are Wemoto supplying our parts and said it was a generic unit.

Anyway like you I sent it back and got my money back. I'm surprised they are still selling it for the CB500! Buyer beware with Wemoto - I'm pretty sure I said that earlier? maybe I should have been more general Smile

As for the Banjo bolt rotation makes no difference at all and if I remember right compared to other bikes the torque value is scarily high! I just did most as high as I dared.

Dan

Yes it sounds like it was exactly the same one they sent me, bar too short, no connection thread, banjo bolt was completely different thread and the hose to the reservoir was stupidly long(good job i never cut it).And yes they are still selling it now but have added a note since saying you will need attachments or sumit, but that wont solve the issue of the stupidly low brake pedal if you did fit it!!

I went for the tourmax rebuild kit from japan and avoided the cheap generic one like you said though so i did listen...mostly lol

edit and mine come in david silva bag too!
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 6:49 pm

Its all done now and is working splendidly Very Happy 

Only issue i had was getting the dam curclip back in w no curclip pliers, after a frustrating hour i gave up and went to my friendly mechanic at "the two wheel workshop", and by the time i said "right tools for the job" it was done! and as usual he wouldnt take any money off me.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 6:52 pm

ah, this is the one on the rear MC or on the brake pedal..... or both?
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 6:55 pm

ohh defo the mc! brake pedal one aint bad at all and its a job worth doin the brake pedal as its so much smoother now w fresh grease
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 6:56 pm

yeah even with circlip pliers it's difficult to do as you have to hold that threaded bar hard over to get them in there

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:39 pm