Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Trailer

freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Trailer

Post by freeride on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 6:15 pm

Has anyone used the tie downs to secure a bike on a trailer are they OK asI prefer a rope? You can get them to secure to the handle bars only but I think it needs two at the rear as well.
Any advice as I only ever used ropes.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Trailer

Post by ashcroc on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 7:34 pm

A couple of ratchet straps were used to secure my last bike when it was recovered after the stack. It looked funny all on is own on the back of a flatbed but it was secure.

I've sen those ones with the loops for the handlebar too but would want something on the back too just incase.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 7:44 pm

@ashcroc wrote: ratchet straps
+1

But talking about trailers...

When doin my theory test a few yrs ago one of the questions i got wrong was about motorcycle trailers and the legal length allowed. Thought i had done enough revision but this one caught me out as well as what to do with a person in shock!

Do you think they dont want new riders on the road or just a money spinner?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 7:55 pm

I always use tie downs when I transport my bikes in the van they are not the ratchet type you just pull on them to tighten I wouldn't use anything else I got mine from machine mart Smile
rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 6:54 pm

I've been trailering to tracks with various bikes for years. Always used tie down ratchet straps. I use two at front, one around each bottom yoke. Plus two at the back ,one each side of frame. Have used one on back when couldn't find suitable anchor points . Looped up,through and over top of rear tyre . You have to do this with bike a little bit from upright as it pulls it straight as you ratchet it tight. Just make sure if using hooked ends to do it down tight so they don't unhook on big potholes. My front ones are long full loops so can't come off. My rears are not ratchet type for the frame. No reason, it's just what I ended up with.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 10:05 am

Damn I thought this thread was going to be 'has anyone successfully fitted a trailer to a CB500?'
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 8:20 pm

that would make it even more of a despatchers bike Laughing
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 31 Jan 2017, 9:11 pm

Just wondering has any one used a motorcycle towing dolly the ones that connect to your front wheel but rear stays on the road. Ive not got the room for a trailer(motolug be nice but pricy to get to ireland) ive never seen one(towing dolly) being used here....are they even legal in uk/ireland / europe? Are they safe for your pride & joy
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 5:43 am

You know how certain bikes have a sort of cult following? Well one of the strangest I've come across is the Vmax. All the dudes seem to look a bit mad maxy, a bit pikey, even though the age range seems really wide. But weirder than that is all their bikes have trailers - and that's what they're most interested in. For years it was the bike - oh how's yours running these days oh yeah pretty good just did the clearances blah blah blah. Now though it's more like wow I bet you can get LOADS in that trailer - I fabricated this out of an old rabbit hutch and some asbestos roofing it's weathered pretty well these last sixteen seasons or so.

They're an....interesting....bunch.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 9:00 am

Shame - I thought this was going to be about a trailer for a CB500. Good for rallies/camping etc Smile

Anyway, yes, ratchet straps are fine. Whatever you are using to tie a bike down the key point is getting the suspension on the bike to compress slightly - in this way the bike is bracing itself against the tie-downs.

Also, you may want a bit of foam/material to put on the seat (to stop marking) in case you want to put some straps in a 'cross' shape across the seat.

Also also - bring more ratchets than you think you will need! (like bungees....)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 1:31 pm

I've just bought a rather good front wheel chock for bolting to the bed of my trailer. This should simplify the whole tie-down process. In the past I've used tie-downs only and I've never been happy with the security of that.

Last edited by Beresford on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 1:55 pm

Has anyone used the motorcycle towing dolly....it has front wheel up and  rear wheel on ground?
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Thu 02 Feb 2017, 12:08 am

@freeride wrote:Has anyone used the tie downs to secure a bike on a trailer are they OK asI prefer a rope? You can get them to secure to the handle bars only but I think it needs two at the rear as well.
Any advice as I only ever used ropes.

I always use 2 ratchet straps on the front. Handlebar to trailer each side. And 1 across the back. Uniformally ratchet them down like torquing bolts up on an engine to avoid the bike tipping. Use a towel under the rear strap over the seat. No issues and much better tension than a rope as it will act on the suspension. I don't think you'd get that on a rope. Stowing in a van different. Use a rope.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 12 Feb 2017, 11:36 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:Damn I thought this thread was going to be 'has anyone successfully fitted a trailer to a CB500?'

Same here.

Not that I'd want to fit one to my CB - no need for a trailer there.

But I do have an insane project involving a 1973 ST70 and a weekly (summertime only) autojumble, to which I'd like to bring a gas grill and a folding chair...

I know. But just because my shed is small, my plans don't have to be!
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 6:25 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Has anyone used the motorcycle towing dolly....it has front wheel up and  rear wheel on ground?

Don't forget your tow ball is type approved for a certain weight usually 60 /75kg so in theroy you cannot exceed this.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 6:46 pm

When i heard this  towing dolly affects chain and sprokets that was end of that Mad
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 7:56 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:When i heard this  towing dolly affects chain and sprokets that was end of that Mad

Oh of course the wheel will be driven so the bottom of the chain will be taught which is the wrong way round.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 29 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm