Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Pc26/PC32 forks difference. Identification help needed

rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Pc26/PC32 forks difference. Identification help needed

Post by rwhitton on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 10:55 am

I've got a 94 pc 26 drum model I've done one meeting at 3 sisters with. Its supposed to be track ready when I got it but it wasn't ! I've worked my way through most of the bike except the forks. I've pulled them apart to see what's going on as it was sitting too low at the front only to be stunned at what I've found! Previous owner has(very roughly) chopped the tighter coil section off the springs they are now approx 360mm long. And he's 'made' spacers 115 mm long(which are cut all wonky). Obviously I need to replace the lot with hagons or original but I'm not sure if the forks are the original as he got it as a light front damaged repairable. Is there any way of telling which model they are? Thanks Richard
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Re: Pc26/PC32 forks difference. Identification help needed

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 1:03 pm

Drum brake models (R & T) have a drain bolt on the back of the legs at the bottom. On all other models the drain holes are blanked off. That's the only difference AFAIK.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 1:04 pm

However the fork spring length changed a bit throughout the model history. Details are in Haynes.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 2:21 pm

Without the full spring length & original spacers in I think the only way to guess is the drain bolts on the lowers being there or not. Even knowing the age of the lowers there's a chance the internals will be from a different set.

I just checked the hagon site & it looks like they supply the same spring for all years. Short of getting a new set of forks you trust the heritage of it's probably the easiest option to sort them.
rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 8:19 am

Excellent info on the drains, thanks very much. Ps, I looked at hagon site and thought the spring kits had different part numbers for the early and later model?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 8:34 am

Just looked again & you're right.  For some strange reason they've listed the pc26 as 93-95 whic trew me off.  It might be worth giving them a bell/email asking what the difference is between the 2.

I don't know where you're based but if you're anywhere near south London i have a set with totally shagged stanchions from a job lot you're welcome to foc.
rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 2:24 pm

Gutted, I'm up in Yorkshire. I had standard springs in my last one with extra spacers to increase preload plus 15wt oil and I got some good race results on it. I'd pay the postage if you could be bothered to post??
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 3:08 pm

Sorry, they're a bit heavy & cumbersome & I don't have the packaging materials to trust them to the post.

There's a bike being broken in the parts for sale section that might have what you need.
rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 6:47 pm

No problem, need to put some hagons in really. Had a look at mine and they have blanked drain plugs on. So does that mean they are later ones then?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 8:23 pm

Yeah your forks came from a pc32 so the link in my 1st post are the springs you need.
rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 10:38 am

Quick update on the fork springs for future reference for anyone. Spoke to hagon and they are the same spring supplied for both models, the numbers are just different for their reference. So you were right mate
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 5:56 pm

That's good to know. I was pretty sure that was the case but it's nice to have confirmation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:35 pm