Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Aftermarket Carb Spares

Middle aged man

Aftermarket Carb Spares

Post by Middle aged man on Fri 12 Jun 2015, 10:15 am

Considering there are so many CB500's around, trying to get sensibly prices carb spares seem quite a challenge. I would like to replace my Air Mixture screws complete with new O rings.
There seems to be lots of parts for 1970's CB500's but not for my 1998 vintage.

Any suggestions where I can start looking go.

I don't really want to pay £20.00 from a main dealer.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: Aftermarket Carb Spares

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 12 Jun 2015, 1:17 pm

Wemoto, davidsilverspares
Middle aged man

Post by Middle aged man on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 1:26 pm

The problem is Wemoto don't seem to sell CB500 Air Screws. Looks like David Silver or a main dealer.

Does anyone have a couple of Air Mixture screws for a small fee ?
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

They're available here http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MY5WEA&block_02=E__1901&block_03=1617 but it's £14.28 for each screw, o-ring, washer and spring set.

I have a pair that you could have for £10 including postage. I'll need to double check – they're sitting on my retired CB500 – but I'm sure they're in good nick and complete with the o-rings, springs and washers. I'll PM you later when I've checked.

N.B. they're not air screws on this bike, they're fuel screws. Undoing them richens the pilot mixture.

N.B. II the washers are important: they stop the spring destroying the o-ring.

N.B. III the information in the Haynes manual for the number of turns out that you should start with when adjusting the screws is incorrect. It says '1 to 2 turns out' when Honda actually specify 2 & 1/2 turns out (and 2 & 3/4 turns for the V model onwards, for some reason).
Middle aged man

Post by Middle aged man on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 9:37 am

Excellent. Thank you. I just assumed they were Air Screws as they are on the Inlet side of the slide. And yes the one that wasn't seized in did unscrew 2.5 turns.  I thought it was strange that Haynes had said 1 to 1.5 turns. The other one did come out eventually but broke one of its castellation's on the screw and  left its O ring behind which subsequently disappeared.  
I've also put in some decent Cap Head Allen screws in the bowl heater water hose adaptors as those little Button head screws were a nightmare to remove.
I look forward to your PM

Correction, must be loosing it. They are indeed on the Fuel side of the Slide not the Air side.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:26 pm