Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quick question about chain adjustment

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Quick question about chain adjustment

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 8:27 pm

Hello all,

I adjusted my chain this morning and afterwards I had a thought about if I had done something stupid so hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

So I loosened the axle nuts, adjusted the chain with the adjusting nuts, got it where I wanted, made sure it was equal adjustment on both sides, then set about tightening up the axle nuts to the correct torque. All fine. Afterwards I realised that I hadn't paid much attention to how much I had loosened each individual axle nut as when you loosen one, obviously they both come loose. I then tightened them back up without much consideration about how many turns I was putting on each nut.

So is there any potential problem with having the wheel aligned correctly, but offset to 1 side or the other because for example, you did all your torquing on the exhaust side and shifted the entire wheel in that direction? I did apply turns to both nuts but I think I did more on the exhaust side as the nut was in better condition and better able to accept the torque needed.

Any thoughts would be massively appreciated as there is potential for it to be unsafe if I made an error.
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Re: Quick question about chain adjustment

Post by ceejay on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 8:58 pm

The axle is basically one big nut and bolt and so you don't have to worry about 'doing one more than the other'. You can just tighten the nut (exhaust side) and ensure the axle (other side) doesn't turn as you tighten it. Sounds like you did it right to me as long as the axle wasn't turning as you tightened the nut (mine doesn't). The wheel can't shift from side to side as you describe. I hope this helps!
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 9:01 pm

I get ya,

I thought it was 1 axle and 2 nuts, rather than a big bolt and a nut on the chain side.

Cheers for putting my mind to rest on that one ceejay!
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 9:21 pm

No problem, the nut is the bigger one, on the exhaust side (on mine at least!)

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 11:13 pm

It will be fine. The wheel position is determined by the spacers against the swinging arm, not the bolt and nut.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 6:56 am

@sullivj wrote:It will be fine. The wheel position is determined by the spacers against the swinging arm, not the bolt and nut.
And if you take the wheel off, those spacers have to be positioned correctly on reassembly. They're not identical!

This is why I take photos when disassembling stuff - the visual clues that can be gleaned from them on reassembly are often priceless.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 1:51 pm

Excellent tip on the spacers stormbringer. It makes life much less challenging when you learn this stuff the easy way!

Post by Guest on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 8:30 pm

Perhaps on a side note, mind that when tightening up the rear wheel on a drum brake you spin the wheel when loose, then apply the rear brake to 'centre' the wheel around the drum brake pads, then tighten the wheel so that the drum brake pads are equally wearing... tip I don't know where I got it from and can't figure out if it really does matter, but there you go.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 8:42 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Excellent tip on the spacers stormbringer. It makes life much less challenging when you learn this stuff the easy way!

This really isn't a tip - more of an approach. Documenting disassembly makes assembly (or simply repeating whatever it is you've documented) less challenging. Apply this to rear wheel spacers, computer fixes, construction work round the house, re-making that awesome gravy - anything really.
Modern-day smartphones feature a neat little camera, and with a little bit of work it can be made to automagically upload pictures taken to your google/whatever account on the 'net, ready for eg. posting to CB500 forum. All you need to do (apart from getting and setting up the smartphone) is take the bloody pictures! Occasionally I forget, and then regret not having done this tiny effort.

-------------
Random fact: Do not under any circumstances take a casual approach to using proper home-grown chilies when making food. Yesterday I misjudged this season's first, small and not-at-all-lethal-looking Carolina Reaper. Added half of a fruit (1/3-of-a-cherry-size) to a big casserole of stew. Awwww... Hurts to eat it, hurts the next day too!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 10 Jun 2015, 12:31 pm

@stormbringer wrote:
Random fact: Do not under any circumstances take a casual approach to using proper home-grown chilies when making food. Yesterday I misjudged this season's first, small and not-at-all-lethal-looking Carolina Reaper. Added half of a fruit (1/3-of-a-cherry-size) to a big casserole of stew. Awwww... Hurts to eat it, hurts the next day too!

Carolina Reaper: Between 1,150,000 and 4,000,000 on the Scoville scale.  That means be careful, very careful.

According to wikipedia, a bird's eye chilli (something I have used in cooking) is between 100,000–225,000 on the same scale...

Have you recovered yet?
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 7:25 am

@eternally_troubled wrote:According to wikipedia, a bird's eye chilli (something I have used in cooking) is between 100,000–225,000 on the same scale...

Have you recovered yet?
Growing chilies is a little hobby of mine. It turns out chili isn't just 'chili' - it's a wide palette of flavours and scents, delivered with a zing, a whack, a punch or a clubbing. Makes food fun.

Don't limit your use of chili to just chili con carne! Imagine your favourite nougat icecream, served in a soup plate and topped with habanero-infused chocolate sauce. Gives new meaning to the term 'hot ice'! Mullet wine anyone? Try making it with a piece of eg. Bhut Jolokia (small bit!) in the pot - I'll guarantee you're going to sweat! Or how about homemade licorice/cream/chili hard candy? Chewing one of these on a cold autumn day when you're out riding is great - and much easier to carry than a thermos with hot coffee.
And the list goes on...
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Sat 05 Sep 2015, 7:37 am

@stormbringer wrote:

@eternally_troubled wrote:According to wikipedia, a bird's eye chilli (something I have used in cooking) is between 100,000–225,000 on the same scale...

Have you recovered yet?

Growing chilies is a little hobby of mine. It turns out chili isn't just 'chili' - it's a wide palette of flavours and scents, delivered with a zing, a whack, a punch or a clubbing. Makes food fun.

Don't limit your use of chili to just chili con carne! Imagine your favourite nougat icecream, served in a soup plate and topped with habanero-infused chocolate sauce. Gives new meaning to the term 'hot ice'! Mullet wine anyone? Try making it with a piece of eg. Bhut Jolokia (small bit!) in the pot - I'll guarantee you're going to sweat! Or how about homemade licorice/cream/chili hard candy? Chewing one of these on a cold autumn day when you're out riding is great - and much easier to carry than a thermos with hot coffee.
And the list goes on...

Is there a forum for that!?
I've had a go at growing a chili before but no really exotic varieties and nothing this year.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:33 pm

@Celt500 wrote:Is there a forum for that!?
I've had a go at growing a chili before but no really exotic varieties and nothing this year.

There are lots of forums for Chili-nutters. Personally, I try to focus on the food-side of things because any fool can grow hot chilies, eat them in front of a camera and gain Youtube-fame in no time. That's not my thing. I like food. And chili is a definite plus to most kinds of food.
Forums for what? The growing bit or the food-preparation bit? Have a look on Google for "chili germination" for the growing bit. When it comes to getting hold of good and inspired recipes, we're all different. My personal favourite is Vivis-Chili.dk. This link will lead you straight to the picture-based index of a pile of recipes that will make your mouth water. Unfortunately, the text is in danish. Vivi, the author to most of these recipes will attend this year's Chilifestival near me. Both she and her products are to be reckoned with. For you brits there's surely something local to be found, but really; it's not hard. If you can grow cress in your window sill, you can germinate chilies. Seeds are abundant and readily available in webshops for little money. My local shop's selection can be seen here. Again, in danish. But you can find similar shops in the UK.

My chili top tip? Grow aromatic & strong chilies, then freeze them in a little plastic box, cut in bits ready for use. This enables you to plop a bite of "Ayay Caramba!" into the stew on a gloomy winter's night. And the bonus tip is 'Never pick your nose right after handling fresh, hot chilies'.

Or, you could go for the easy solution: Cool Chile UK.
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:57 pm

It was more the growing, I don't even know what kind of chilli I grew before. Personally I'm amazed if I plant something and it survives! I wouldn't mind checking out some different varieties.

I had a Japanese friend tell me European languages were easy 'cos they were basically all the same...
OK I'm sure I'm missing a lot but Danish isn't the worst to try and read. Anyway the Grapefrugtmarmelade med chili looks craaazy! I want to try that!  Very Happy  

I'm not a Brit though!! You're thinking of next door...

Anyway tak for the links
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:39 am

@Celt500 wrote:It was more the growing, I don't even know what kind of chilli I grew before. Personally I'm amazed if I plant something and it survives! I wouldn't mind checking out some different varieties.

I'm not a Brit though!! You're thinking of next door...
Have a little faith in yourself. Try it out - you can start with the seeds you find in the supermarkets' peppers. They almost all work. Once you figure out how to germinate seeds, the world will be at your feet. As for chilies, you need to start early - meaning the dark february month is a nice time to get your seedlings going. That way the plants will be reasonably sized when the days get longer and warmer. Most often, failure is linked to watering the wrong way. Either too little/none or too much. Your primary investment is actually time Smile

Not a Brit. Noted. Sorry...

On languages: Neighbouring languages often borrow from each other, easing the task of acquiring a new one if it's a 'neighbour'. Yet, sometimes a simple dialect seems utterly incomprehensible. If I go 100 miles northwest from where I am right now, I end up in Northern Jylland. The local dialect is one of 'no consonants' meaning it's hard work for outsiders to guees what's being said with half the language gone out the window. Go 100 miles straight south, and we hit platt-german territory, equally undecipherable. Local colour, eh? Fun. I like that. I like how the sound of a language sets off pictures in my inner movie theater.

Brazilian - straw huts on the beach + brown girls in bikinis.
German - marching people. Order.
British english - aristocrats. Tradition. People having afternoon tea.
American english - rednecks & hillbillies in front of battered mobilhomes.
Russian - uniformed police in a Lada, ordering you to present your papers.
Italian - people arguing and laughing while eating pasta at the dinnertable.
Arab - haggling in the bazaar.
Japanese - immaculate gardens. Etiquette

And the list goes on... It's all subjective and utterly useless, but I can't stop the pictures appearing.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:32 am

Sorry to bring this OT and away from chiles but does it matter what side the rear axle nut is on ? Or is it six of one half a dozen of the other ? Mines on the chain side at the moment but I seen mention of the exhaust side earlier on in this thread
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:30 am

As standard the nut is on the right on both drum and disc models. Don't know if it matters being the other way round, but if I were you I'd swap it just to be safe.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 7:12 pm