Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Only runs with full choke ?

Middle aged man

Only runs with full choke ?

Post by Middle aged man on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 8:47 pm

My 1997 CB500 has been off the road for 18 months as I've been playing on my Street Triple. I thought I'd get it going again but it wont run. I say it won't, full-ish choke and nurse the throttle gently it will run up to 5k but it sounds terrible. 
I've drained the float chambers, replaced the fuel in the tank. etc etc. Spark is good, but I've seen better, so I'm thinking jets. I thought I'd drop off the carbs and give them a full going over. I did do it years ago. But can I get the carbs off !!! No I .............. can't.
I know there isn't any gap between the air filter housing and the carbs, but all the clips on the rubber trumpets are loose but they wont move a millimetre.
Has anyone got any tips ? I assume they're just stuck or its simply a very tight fit on the trumpets.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I've got an MOT booked for Friday 8am !!

Last edited by teamster1975 on Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed text colour, black on dark grey not good!)
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Only runs with full choke ?

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 04 Jun 2015, 9:57 am

Welcome mate!
Maybe try heating the rubbers with a hair dryer? Mine have stuck like that before and it was a right knuckle skinner.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 04 Jun 2015, 12:41 pm

They are a very tight fit.  From my recollection you need to apply more force than you really want to...  this gets worse over the years as the rubber hardens with age.

Definitely worth heating up the rubber bits, might also be worth spraying a some GT85/WD40 or similar around them to try and lube things up a bit.

If you are really unlucky the rubber will perish and crack and you'll have to buy new ones.  Mind you, this isn't really a bad thing as they will be good for another 18-odd years :)

oh, and hello!
Middle aged man

Post by Middle aged man on Thu 04 Jun 2015, 3:50 pm

I'll get her hair dryer out.
Middle aged man

Post by Middle aged man on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 2:53 pm

OK They're off !!

Started stripping. First obstacle is the heater hose unions that have to be removed before you can get the float bowls off. One side is off, the other is about to round the Button Head Allen screw. Not ideal !
I'm soaking it in WD40 and will give it a gentle shock. Same with one of the air screws, it's not playing cricket at all.

While I'm here. Where is a good place for a service kit. David Silver  ?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 3:38 pm

Double check the carb rubbers and vacuum pipe for perishing and cracking. The symptoms you describe are usually caused by air leaks in one of those.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:33 pm