Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Movement in lower forks

steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Movement in lower forks

Post by steady Eddy on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 8:12 pm

After changing my fork bushes a couple of days ago i am gutted to say that the movement in my lower forks is still there, maybe not as bad though.
When i do a hands on check the forwards backwards movement is minute but while riding it feels awful at the end of braking so i really want to fix it.

Im unsure what to do next...any advise would be most welcome.
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Re: Movement in lower forks

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 10:58 pm

Could it be the steering head bearings/not tight enough clamps in the steering bracket?
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 10:59 pm

....or wheel bearings?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:09 pm

Llewelyn1965 wrote:....or wheel bearings?

The wheel bearings could be the cause of the dodgy feeling at the end of braking. They can't be the cause of the movement felt while pulling/pushing the bottom of the forks... worth checking either way.

If you can feel any movement (I assume you are doing the test where the front of the bike is off the ground and you pull the forks backwards and forwards) then there is something wrong - either the clamps are not done up correctly or the steering head bearings are mis-adjusted or worn (or both!).

My bet would be that the initial problem was caused by a combination of the fork bush wear and the steering head bearing - you have fixed the fork bush problem, now you need to fix the steering head bearing issue! If you are lucky it might just need a slight bit of tightening.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 2:55 pm

When i do the hands on check, like you said with the front wheel off the floor the movement is only there when i grab below the fork seal, above that it is rock solid so i dont think the head stock is the issue.

I did a thorough check of where the upper bush sits in the outer fork tube the first time i did the seals as i read this is where a "front ender" would likely cause damage as she was a bit beaten up when i got her but it looked fine and i have to say the new bush was a snug fit.

Im thinking of a couple of possible reasons...

Would stanchion wear possibly cause this as i stupidly never checked the run off even though i recently purchased a micrometer.

Or is it just ME, i am a worrier and maybe with the springs being a bit sloppy for my liking(and they where barely within the limits given in Haynes) im reading a bit too much into it. As i said with a hands on check the movement is minute. Would love the chance to get my hands on another CB to compare...
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 5:26 pm

Just a thought, when you replaced the bushes did you replace the bushes at the bottom of the stanchions as well?
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 6:03 pm

ANDYC wrote:Just a thought, when you replaced the bushes did you replace the bushes at the bottom of the stanchions as well?

Yes top and bottom both sides.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 6:21 pm

I wouldn't worry about the wear in the stanchions, the bushes are there to prevent that.
They are made of much softer material to be sacrificed instead of the more expensive parts.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 6:58 pm

So when you guys do a hands on check is there any movement in your forks?
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 8:09 pm

Just one other thought: are you quite sure you're not feeling movement in the steering head bearings or even the centre stand, and that when you hold the forks further up there's not enough leverage to feel this but when you do lower down there is?
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

jchesshyre wrote:Just one other thought: are you quite sure you're not feeling movement in the steering head bearings or even the centre stand, and that when you hold the forks further up there's not enough leverage to feel this but when you do lower down there is?

It is possible its the head stock as i am a novice and i may be wrong.

Think i might be taking it to a seasoned biker tomoz who also has a CB so hopefully i will know more then Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 12:44 pm

Sounds like a good idea.  I'm still betting that it's your head bearings :)

If you really want to know then take the forks out and clamp them in a vice and give them a wiggle - you'll need to pad the vice and make sure it is securely attached to something heavy...

or, if you think you might be wrong (and it is the head bearings), give them an experimental tighten-up (you'll need to remove a few things to get there) and see if the movement goes away.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 2:31 pm

Im hoping it is the head bearings now as at least then il know what i need to do to stop it ruining my enjoyment.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 03 Jun 2015, 7:42 pm

After my meet with a friendly forum member its looking as though Llewelyn and ET where probably spot in saying the head bearings.
What a relief it is if your right (and hopefully you are) as i have been in turmoil over this

Anyway big job (for me) to be cracking on with on my 8 days off coming soon, will let you know how i get on Laughing
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 04 Jun 2015, 12:36 pm

If you managed to remove and take your forks apart (and put them back together again) you should be fine adjusting the head bearing.

The more problematic part will be if it needs changing - it is quite difficult to remove the bearing races from the headtube. It isn't impossible, but the right tools help a lot.

Anyway, with any luck they will just be badly adjusted.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 4:26 pm

Adjusted the head stock today which was very loose and also badly adjusted previously i think as the locking nut was barely pinching the lockwasher/adjuster nut and the jobs a gooden! Very Happy

Took her for a spin and not only is braking a pleasure but she also feels more planted and im no longer cringing when i go over bumps n holes.

Only problem i did have was getting a c spanner, seen them on ebay but wanted it today so went searching and found one eventually at machine mart for £27 Shocked, well i didne buy it thank god as in my toolbox i had this which i bought for just over a quid years ago to do summit on my mountain bike and it worked a treat.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 4:29 pm

Very glad to hear this! I thought as much. 

In the absence of a C-spanner a screwdriver or other item can be used as a drift in the adjuster nut notches, providing you're careful. Haynes does mention this as well. 
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 1:19 pm

The inside notches on the top side of that multi-spanner *are* C-spanners!  They will be for adjusting mountain bike shocks (I suspect).

27 quid is too much for a C-spanner.  Get one from ebay for next time - it can also be used to adjust the rear shocks.

... and, well done on fixing the problem!
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 1:26 pm

Indeed, what I meant was that he needn't have bought that thing as a screwdriver would have done!
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 4:39 pm

Thanks again guys for all your help and advice. She is now again a treat to ride.

I had decided to do it with a screwy after refusing to pay £27 but i thot i wouldnt get the precision/feel a spanner offers and i would consider it a bit of a botch (thats just me, if im gona do a job i like it done as good as i can do it).
I dont think i will be buying a c spanner any time soon as my £1.20 odd multi tool thingy is perfect for the job and my rear shocks arnt adjustable.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 5:14 pm

Are you 100% sure the shocks aren't adjustable? I thought Hagon's ones all are, but maybe they do an unadjustable version?
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 5:29 pm

jchesshyre wrote:Are you 100% sure the shocks aren't adjustable? I thought Hagon's ones all are, but maybe they do an unadjustable version?

Thats what i thot when i bought em and spent quite a long time trying to figure how to adjust em especially as they where so stiff compared to stock. But im 99% sure there not (but saying that i was 99% sure the movement in my forks wasnt the bearings lol)
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 8:11 pm

Hagon shocks ARE adjustable for preload, it's internal so you don't see the stepped part on the outside.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 2:48 pm

ANDYC wrote:Hagon shocks ARE adjustable for preload, it's internal so you don't see the stepped part on the outside.
Ive just had a look and your right! Silly me, still learning Smile
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 2:54 pm

I have a spare Hagon c-spanner for adjusting them if you want it (and I can find it)...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:48 pm