Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

[solved]Seat won't release.

Alvi
Running out of unique names

[solved]Seat won't release.

Post by Alvi on Fri 29 May 2015, 7:54 pm

I re-rigged the bungees on my tailbag this morning, so they went under the seat, instead of down to the grab handles, to stop them rubbing on the seat fairing. Then, tonight, I went to remove it altogether so I can strap some fold up chairs on ready for watching the pre-TT classic tomorrow. But....the seat wouldn't release. Suspecting the bungees were jamming something, I managed to pull them out, but the seat's still stuck. There's spring pressure on the key, but I can hear the same metallic clunk whether the key is turned to release the seat or not - sounds like the 'hoop' on the seat clunking against the non-released latch, so maybe the cable's come off (I can't remember if the spring is on the lock or the release latch). Is there any way I can get at the mechanism to release it with the seat still in place?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: [solved]Seat won't release.

Post by sullivj on Fri 29 May 2015, 8:55 pm

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 29 May 2015, 8:58 pm

Alvi

Post by Alvi on Fri 29 May 2015, 9:13 pm

Great - thanks guys, I'll have a go at it tomorrow.
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Sat 30 May 2015, 7:37 pm

Just managed to release it tonight before the rain arrived! I couldn't see enough to see anything to release the latch as in the other posts, but I could see a bolt either side holding the latch bracket, so I removed these, hoping the seat would lift complete with latch racket. No such luck...The 2 lugs which fit into the frame help it in place. I could also see a nut each side holding the loop bracket onto the seat, so these came off next. I expected even if these didn't release the bracket, the assembly would be floppy enough to get my head in & see what was going on, but it still wouldn't lift! Finally, I tried the key again & up it came! Looks like the cable was not seated properly in the little bracket at the key end & turning the key just pulled both inner & outer so the latch didn't pull in. The loosened brackets twisted, so the cable secured a bit better & the latch released the seat.  Smile 

The pre-TT classic was great. Ted Fenwick won the 250 class on a Ducati - his 5th win. Even more remarkable, Ted is 87 years young!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:14 am