Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Jameshambleton

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 25 May 2016, 8:57 am

Head gasket came yesterday at 4:30ish when I was walking to work. So that's getting taken to the garage this morning. I'm dreading the repair bill though
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 25 May 2016, 3:29 pm

Been to the garage and apart from the vacuum hose coming off the tank and draining my carbs dry on the way home and a couple of weird starter motor issues. she's working alright now. 

They've changed the coolant (it needed doing anyway) and changed the oil as it was just easier for them i presume. 

My cam chain is now making a noise so does the cam chain adjuster automatically adjust or would I have to manually set it?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 25 May 2016, 6:28 pm

It should be spring loaded to automatically adjust. You can extract it to check, but it's a bit fiddly.

If you're concerned, take it back and ask their opinion.

How much did they charge if you don't mind me asking?
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 04 Jun 2016, 11:39 am

Just changed one of the fork seals as it had started leaking. And a top tip - always remember to remove the damper bolt when you've undone it or it will fall into the jerry can when you empty the oil out.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sat 04 Jun 2016, 6:29 pm

did a track day on it at Mallory friday.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 7:28 pm

After work today was a good day 

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 7:36 pm

You need some new blobs James!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 7:38 pm

What exhaust have u got on cb , james
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 8:04 pm

Just looking at the bike a little more and I think I got the exhaust down too! 

wornsprokets wrote:What exhaust have u got on cb , james

My exhaust is a stainless Beowulf  (I think it's a 380mm or 420mm) with removable removed baffle

sullivj wrote:You need some new blobs James!

New blobs :O This is only the second session when they've touched the floor. I'm really enjoying it because as I become more comfortable with it been at such an angle and I don't feel as if I'm pushing my limits. Oddly enough I'm much more relaxed when I wear my 1 piece suit than when I wear my textiles. When I have some money (likely next year) I'm going to get the Alpinestars Challenger 1 Piece Suit in the Black,White, & Red colour scheme.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 1:35 pm

I can't be the only person who has done this am I? I went downstairs for food, 45mins later 3 liters of water, mucoff and some more water and the bike was clean and I retuned to my room without food. 
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 6:40 pm

it can easily happen james I go into the cave thinking I will just do this little job on the cb and hours later the one job has turned into several you can easily get carried away Laughing
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:26 pm

Wel i met up with anigai today, anyway on  way on  home  a harley passed  me on motorway, i gave him the nod and nothing back , i was doing 80 so he must been doin 90 plus, anyway he was gone. Next thing traffic stops, mr harley in grass verge in middle on motorway he had major tumble and good distance from bike holding his ribs , car driver went over to him, how do u loose control on bone dry straight road and no one in front of him. I know harleys dont handle, i think it was a roadking
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 9:26 am

wornsprokets wrote: ...how do u loose control on bone dry straight road and no one in front of him. I know harleys dont handle, i think it was a roadking

I think he was too busy thinking, 'I'm cool, I'm on a Harley' and forgot to look where it was going, all of a sudden the verge has snuck up on you and, bam, it's all over :)

More seriously, you said he was doing 90 - he could have got into some kind of weave or instability caused by a lump in the road or something that chucked him off - did he have all the panniers/bags on?

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 4:13 pm

Might have been a midlifecrisis guy with little experience? Glad he is in one piece anyway.

I ran over a numberplate/a something on the motorway a few years back whilst changing lanes at 90 or so. The front end slipped and I didn't know cb5's did tankslappers but they do. Various ripped muscles to show for it but definitely a one-off

Iirc a guy was killed round here on a 1600 Warrior custom, straight on at a gentle righthand sweeper No

Having owned a big ol cruiser or two, all do come with a not well hidden hinge in the middle as standard and do weave/get upset by road surfaces especially white lines. Stable as a stable thing within their limitations mind.

In other news I popped to the shops for some coffee, 55 miles Smile
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 6:15 pm

Yeah he had boxes and one those crappy leather waist coats, he was in some bike gang charter(hes in a hospital charter now Shocked ) i was running low on petrol  as usually i wouldnt let harleys pass especially after no nod.cb easly show up a harley, maybe he would taken me out too
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 7:03 am

Changed oil + filter + a bit of ZX1 for good measure.

Then went for a meetup with the "Goofy MC" club people.

Cracking club name Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 7:39 am

I tested my reg/rec and it finally bit the dust, one part of it has infinite resistance that I'm happy about because it means that the 50v ac is NOT going to be going to my battery so that won't fry. 

Thankfully a temporary replacement finned reg/rec is going to be here today before I do the final upgrade of the electrical system when I have the money.
al-91
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!

Post by al-91 on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 1:07 pm

My new tyres arrived today and I had a bit of a shock. 
The front was a different size to the old one... After some panicking about ordering the wrong size and having to return it, I looked up the tyre sizes and found that the tyre on the bike is the wrong size. (110/70 17 rather than an 80 profile). 
Is there a reason that someone would have done this? 
I guess going back to the 80 profile will raise the front end (10mm), change the speedo readings, and make it handle differently. 

Hopefully I can get them fitted this week, and get rid of the 10 year old rubber currently on it!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 2:14 pm

The Thundersport runs 70 profile tyres so it's not really a problem so long as you're running both ends the same.  It'll lower the centre of gravity a touch improving handling & the ease of getting the foot peg down. If my speedo readings against my satnav is anything to go by 70 profile might make the clocks more accurate.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 2:35 pm

It'll be 5mm lower and your speedo will over read so 62mph will become 66mph
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 3:49 pm

Huh. Interesting. I'm almost tempted to try a pair now.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 4:01 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:I tested my reg/rec and it finally bit the dust, one part of it has infinite resistance that I'm happy about because it means that the 50v ac is NOT going to be going to my battery so that won't fry. 

Thankfully a temporary replacement finned reg/rec is going to be here today before I do the final upgrade of the electrical system when I have the money.

The R/R you sold me a few months ago is perfect, cheers.

Sorry, i can't resist sometimes.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 11:29 am

For the first time I have filled my badly rusted tank to the top and the bike bacame smoother and more responsive Shocked Very Happy
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 12:28 pm

New rec/rec fitted and it's massive http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR690.html 
I looked at the dimensions and thought nothing of it, it's so big that it can cover the speedo and the area around it. 

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 4:33 pm

Hope it works well for you, I'd still like to know what bike the one you sent me came from though.

Atm I'm trying to figure out how that damn rubber thingy sits in around where the coils are for the electrics.
A previous owner of the original S frame just chucked everything together willy nilly in a big ol pile and called it good so i don;t exactly have the best reference material outside haynes to work with.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 6:51 am