Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 13 May 2016, 8:47 pm

I think its time for track days james, if your doing that to ur boots on roads.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 13 May 2016, 10:07 pm

wornsprokets wrote:I think its time for track days james, if your doing that to ur boots on roads.

I think I'd prefer the road tbh, it's a lot more twisty and it's normally sub national speed limits that I was doing this at. 40, 50mph for the most part. I felt completely comfortable doing this tonight, just need to get my stand adjusted now so I can hit the left peg on the ground  Twisted Evil after I can get my pegs scraping I'll be happy. https://goo.gl/maps/ZQgwvZkcL4B2
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 14 May 2016, 7:41 pm

a bit of an exiting day for you then james
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 14 May 2016, 8:09 pm

washed it. with water. first time since the rebuild.

decided to take it to work on Monday and got caught in the rain on the way home so stripped it down a bit for a good clean.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 14 May 2016, 10:04 pm

Turned up my bar ends, to remove the wearing paint, and fitted them back on after a bit of fettling!

Toutsuite
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Toutsuite on Sun 15 May 2016, 12:48 am

Today, I hit a ton for the first time on the motorway. There was a bit of a side wind so was a bit on the unstable/scary side Shocked....

For weekend riding/motorways I usually use another bike (a yamaha dragstar 650) - the cb is for the commute to work. But today I decided to finally try it out on the m/way - A roads/B roads. This little bike is so much more fun than it has any right to be!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 15 May 2016, 11:07 am

Bike broke down twice yesterday, spark plug popped itself out of the engine on the A66. managed to get it back in by using the HT lead and using that to turn it. It lasted another 60 miles before it blew out again and I couldn't get it back in neither could my friend.

So there we were after an hour of trying to get it back in with no luck. Tank, side panels and rad panels all off at the side of the road, breakdown was going to be an hour and then a passer by came past with a flatbed transit van. At this point he was a god as he had the tools albeit in a bucket and I'd completely given up hope since it was 8:30PM and I was over 100miles away from home. He seemed a little dodgy at first but I then noticed he had a thinkbike sticker so I knew I was in good hands. We got it fixed within 3mins including talking and we made sure she ran. 

Breakdown called me to say they had no vehicles and that I'd be waiting for 2hours for it, but since we'd fixed it I canceled it. I finally got home at 11:20PM.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 15 May 2016, 1:59 pm

Toutsuite wrote:Today, I hit a ton for the first time on the motorway.
This little bike is so much more fun than it has any right to be!

Hehe. Your CB will empty its tank doing a tonne - time after time. Carrying loads of luggage.

I've been there and done that on german autobahn. Three tanks in a row. CB just shrugs it off, soldiering on. But I think doing a tonne on a naked bike isn't much fun. IMHO the CB is way more entertaining on the backroads.
Toutsuite
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Toutsuite on Sun 15 May 2016, 6:52 pm

stormbringer wrote:

Hehe. Your CB will empty its tank doing a tonne - time after time. Carrying loads of luggage.

I've been there and done that on german autobahn. Three tanks in a row. CB just shrugs it off, soldiering on. But I think doing a tonne on a naked bike isn't much fun. IMHO the CB is way more entertaining on the backroads.

Yes, wouldn't be able to sustain that speed for long without it becoming exhausting. And I completely agree, twisty backroads is where the CB is the most fun!
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 15 May 2016, 8:20 pm

Toutsuite wrote:...sustain that speed for long without it becoming exhausting.
...twisty backroads is where the CB is the most fun!

Believe me; with still +600 km to go, empty autobahn at two o clock in the pitch black night and no - as in none - speed limit, you just want to go home. Preferably right now. So you hunker down behind the tank bag and let 'er rev...
Not that this will make you king of the autobahn. Stay in the right lane; left lane is the habitat of Audi and Mercedes.

As an experience it's okay. But I'll take the twisties any day.
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Sun 15 May 2016, 10:28 pm

Had an interesting mini-adventure muscling and wiggling it backwards out of the shed that I've had to work on it the last few days. Hauled it up and down and up again over makeshift ramps without a hitch, brought it round the front of the house feeling quite pleased with myself and promptly dropped it in a hedge. ****ing hell...

Anyway on to the test ride with new head bearings and OMFG it's so easy to change direction I could hardly keep it in a straight line! Roundabouts? -I'll just take 'em one handed today 'cos it's that easy to steer. Cool
And was that a new air filter I fitted or a turbo! I thought the old one looked fine but wow, what a difference!

I thought I'd do a little write-up on doing head-bearings. Here goes:
Step 1 - Find a reputable mechanic
Step 2 - Give him money because he (or she) deserves every penny
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 16 May 2016, 12:24 am

Was the head race bearings hard to do, i know is not an easy loads of stuff has to come off to get at them. Think there gone in my fireblade or very loose(probably original) no clunking on breaking theres something up compared to cb steering.
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Mon 16 May 2016, 11:05 am

It could well be easier on the Fireblade. I watched a video of someone doing it on a CBR600 f3 and it looked straightforward enough (it's funny 'cos you recognise the exact same parts come out of the 500 - all Honda parts bin stuff). Not much harder than doing a wheel bearing anyway, you find a long drift and slowly hammer it out.

The problem on the CB is there's no ledge to get a grip with a drift, on the CBR6 there are grooves cut out in the frame for that purpose. Then adjusting it was a major hassle - adding the top yoke and stem nut massively threw out the tension so I had to keep taking them off and on again, re-adjusting, relocking the lock nut, give it another test, swear a bit, repeat...

Wouldn't do it again on the CB without a better way of getting the races out. I spotted this Sealey special tool but I'm not even sure that would get a proper grip. Might be worth a shot.

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=15526
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 16 May 2016, 12:08 pm

I have one of these, but I have not used it yet. Don't know if there is a ledge wide enough for it to work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-55mm-Motorcycle-Steering-Head-Bearing-Drift-Removal-Tool-/261639618443?hash=item3ceaefbf8b:g:xDkAAOSwR0JUTOVa
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Mon 16 May 2016, 2:05 pm

Elsewhere around here alanesq mentioned splitting a big metal washer and pushing it into the gap between the head race and the frame. Thinking about it now, this would have been the smart way to go. I didn't think there was enough gap on mine and didn't have the patience to go washer shopping but it's just occurred to me you could bevel the outer edge of a big chunky washer to get it started in the gap. Use something to force the split washer outward and then you've maybe started the race moving evenly and also given yourself a ledge.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 16 May 2016, 4:10 pm

I haven't done this job on the CB, but am I being naive to suggest that a Dremel could be used to grind two opposite ledges in the headstock above the bearing shell to allow the use of an old narrow wood chisel to knock it out with.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 16 May 2016, 6:25 pm

Celt500 wrote:Wouldn't do it again on the CB without a better way of getting the races out. I spotted this Sealey special tool but I'm not even sure that would get a proper grip. Might be worth a shot.
http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=15526
it doesn't.

i saw some posts about use on CB when i did mine and you have to grind that lip down to a fine edge and then its quite easy to catch the seating surface of the headstock rather than a race - which i did and had to repair

hh_12345 wrote:I have one of these, but I have not used it yet. Don't know if there is a ledge wide enough for it to work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-55mm-Motorcycle-Steering-Head-Bearing-Drift-Removal-Tool-/261639618443?hash=item3ceaefbf8b:g:xDkAAOSwR0JUTOVa
I made my own one of these - works superbly on my push bike but there isn't enough of a lip on the race to get a purchase on it.

Celt500 wrote:Elsewhere around here alanesq mentioned splitting a big metal washer and pushing it into the gap between the head race and the frame.
the 'gap' when I did mine was non-existant

Beresford wrote:I haven't done this job on the CB, but am I being naive to suggest that a Dremel could be used to grind two opposite ledges in the headstock above the bearing shell to allow the use of an old narrow wood chisel to knock it out with.
not sure I get you? do you mean grind into the headstock race seat to create a recess to knock it out from?

In the end I used a dremel and grinded straight through the seat wall.

they say you should try everything once. i did. never again Evil or Very Mad
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 16 May 2016, 9:40 pm

A small indent was what I had in mind. Going right through the wall tube isn't required. Rolling Eyes 
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 16 May 2016, 11:36 pm

I had my first time today

Spoiler:

jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 17 May 2016, 6:05 am

Beresford wrote:A small indent was what I had in mind. Going right through the wall tube isn't required. Rolling Eyes 

ah, that's what I thought you meant - yes, I guess that would do it but would pain me to go into the headstock although would probably work out less destructive than all the hacking and bashing trying to get it out cleanly.

well done James - how are you mounting the camera to the bike?

Dan
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 17 May 2016, 9:19 am

I used a handlebar mount around the base of my rear shock and a few extensions to get it in the right position.I think that mounting a proper mount to the swingarm would be best and then using some locking wire would be great just incase if the mount decides to come off so £300 of gopro doesn't go down the road
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Tue 17 May 2016, 5:52 pm

Today I took immeasurable satisfaction whipping a 1200gs off 7-8 sets of lights and the frustration was clearly mounting with mr.gs. Hilarious and unashamed smuggery
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 17 May 2016, 7:04 pm

you bully Laughing Laughing
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 17 May 2016, 8:12 pm

One of my IAM observers was a GS man and I well remember halfway through one observed ride being told by him to slow down. I said but I've not broken any laws or endangered any other road users - he said yes, I know, however it's all a bit too spirited. Wtf. I just told him the truth - that I was enjoying the ride. I was caning fuck out of it mind you. Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 17 May 2016, 8:15 pm

Loaded my bike into the horsebox to get to the garage tomorrow morning and clunk.... and.. main Stand has snapped in half. It's rusted from the inside out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 6:23 am