Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by alvamiga on Sat 23 May 2015, 10:16 am

Caution is the reason I've not been in more accidents... nothing wrong with it! Smile
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 23 May 2015, 10:46 am

I hope the route included going over the hill, it's a shame about the speed humps.

Rykas was never about the quality of the coffee, it's a place to ogle lots of bikes on a summer sunday with nice scenery getting there.
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sun 24 May 2015, 5:20 pm

Swapped the original big, ugly front indicators

For something a bit more streamlined

skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 24 May 2015, 5:24 pm

as one wise man once said : you are better a few minutes later in this world than a few years earlier in the next
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Tue 26 May 2015, 12:11 am

As it was a ban holiday, I gave mine a lot of cleaning and overdue adjustments today, such as tightening the reg plate holder which had become inexplicably a bit loose. This is the best it's looked in a while, even if the seat is now slippery from ill-advised cleaning products on it! Smile

badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 26 May 2015, 12:24 am

That's an unusual colour, alvamiga.
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Tue 26 May 2015, 9:02 am

Silver, or clean? Very Happy
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 26 May 2015, 8:02 pm

could be both, the slippy seat will soon be back to normal Cool
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Wed 27 May 2015, 12:09 am

I've had a few interesting moments of starting to pull away and feeling the bike creep forward, or braking and heading up the tank, but I'm sure it'll be filthy again before long! Smile
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Thu 28 May 2015, 2:48 am

What I did today was have some sort of failure between my chain and rear sprocket, causing the chain to part company at 50mph. Managed to finally get it out of the road and thought I'd fixed it up enough to get home, but it instantly failed again.

While arguing on the phone about whether or not I had breakdown cover, a friend came by, pulled up and offered to try his AA policy. They eventually brought me home on his cover.

Typically, I was booking the bike in tomorrow to have them replaced as I thought they needed renewing. Wink

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 28 May 2015, 6:19 am

Nasty. I assume the chain didn't snap as you were trying to get going again. Did it jump off the sprocket?

When did you last adjust it?

Glad you managed to get her home.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 28 May 2015, 7:07 am

alvamiga wrote:What I did today was have some sort of failure between my chain and rear sprocket, causing the chain to part company at 50mph.
Eeeks!!

Glad you didn't get hurt. But how? I'd be very interested to hear what went wrong and what damages the suddenly free-roaming chain has caused while parting company.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 28 May 2015, 7:40 am

alvamiga wrote:What I did today was have some sort of failure between my chain and rear sprocket, causing the chain to part company at 50mph. Managed to finally get it out of the road and thought I'd fixed it up enough to get home, but it instantly failed again.

While arguing on the phone about whether or not I had breakdown cover, a friend came by, pulled up and offered to try his AA policy. They eventually brought me home on his cover.

Typically, I was booking the bike in tomorrow to have them replaced as I thought they needed renewing. Wink

One thing to check could be the chain slider. I only mention it because the one on my CRM collapsed and became trapped in the front sprocket, locking up the back wheel. I was only going slow - maybe at a faster speed it would've just been chewed up and I never would've known. Or alternatively perhaps I'd have been deaded. Anyway, it might be worth a look. With time, the oil attacks the plastic and they begin to deteriorate and crack.
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Thu 28 May 2015, 11:36 am

Rode mine to work and back. The 42 mile round trip was enough to tick the odometer over 8000 miles. Not many for a 1994 machine.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 28 May 2015, 12:28 pm

Ur lucky chain came off rapping around rear sproket on me before and usual locking up rear sending me off. And typical had a new chain n sprokets to go on wkd:( this was fri. Was only my first bike. Know better now i hope Smile
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Thu 28 May 2015, 11:51 pm

It had been adjusted recently, but I think it was probably one of those things I should have sorted earlier and replaced a bit sooner. I'm only just getting over the urge to make stuff last as long as it can, as is my natural tendency with most things. Need to bite the bullet and replace before it runs out. Very Happy

Thankfully, a friend has added me to her insurance policy and is lending me her Bandit (until I can get mine sorted), which is a good step up from what I'm used to.

I think that, while it did catch the chain when stopped, the turning of the wheel prevented the chain getting caught until almost all of my speed had been lost.

Lesson learnt... do not repeat! Smile
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 29 May 2015, 12:25 am

Aye, that's happened to me before after fitting the cheapest, nastiest chain (I got change out of a £20 note, this was 1998) I could find to an XJ600 Divvy. Wheeled locked, though I stayed on it.
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sat 30 May 2015, 11:59 am

MOT yesterday, another pass with flying colours, no advisories, and the highest score of the day on the brake tester Very Happy
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Sat 30 May 2015, 2:29 pm

Well ive just done the fork seals AGAIN!

But this time it was cause the fork bushes had worn causing a horrible knocky movement under braking. Bastards couldnt of worn a few months ago when id done the seals before, but i guess its all a learning process as i now know what a worn bush looks like!

Hopefully its done the trick, just sitting here watching the cricket before i put em bk on and go for a test ride...fingers crossed.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Sat 30 May 2015, 2:48 pm

Just in case anyone is interested what a worn bush looks like

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sat 30 May 2015, 8:12 pm

Backroads ride today, in additional to the smiles per mile I managed to avoid a gaggle of cyclists on a well marshalled event. Some weird aerodynamic helmets on show, looked well out of place in rural Northants.

In contrast, a few him and her cycling pairs around, the him usually sheperding the her by riding down the middle of the road, not pulling over on crests of hills or blind corners, idiots.

Had a muntjac amble across the road in front of me too.

muttley1

Last edited by muttley1 on Sat 30 May 2015, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sat 30 May 2015, 9:28 pm

badseeds wrote:Aye, that's happened to me before after fitting the cheapest, nastiest chain (I got change out of a £20 note, this was 1998) I could find to an XJ600 Divvy. Wheeled locked, though I stayed on it.

I think because of the placement of the sprocket bolts, the spinning of the wheel was enough to prevent the chain dropping into the gap until the movement of the bike had all but stopped. It just felt like the chain had vanished and taken the forward power with it. Whether it's designed that way for safety, or coincidence, I don't know, but it's good that it did that and the bike just rolled to a halt. Still not helpful to be stopped in the road.

Took the bandit (modified with 750 sports engine (97BHP)) out for a run today, got massively held up by traffic (like 30 minutes, plus) and met the ride-out coming the other way just short of the start point. Did a u-turn, fluffed the heavy clutch and gave the support van at the back and myself a real good scare! While it's otherwise fun and experience, I will be glad to have my sensibly powered bike back! Very Happy
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Sun 31 May 2015, 4:54 pm

I think because of the placement of the sprocket bolts, the spinning of the wheel was enough to prevent the chain dropping into the gap until the movement of the bike had all but stopped. It just felt like the chain had vanished and taken the forward power with it. Whether it's designed that way for safety, or coincidence, I don't know, but it's good that it did that and the bike just rolled to a halt. Still not helpful to be stopped in the road.

Glad to hear you got out of that one okay. I get paranoid about the idea of the chain snapping sometimes and the possible results of that - nice to know it can end as smoothly as this.
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sun 31 May 2015, 6:55 pm

ceejay wrote:

Glad to hear you got out of that one okay. I get paranoid about the idea of the chain snapping sometimes and the possible results of that - nice to know it can end as smoothly as this.

Also nice to know it can happen to even the most highly maintained bikes - Andrea Dovizioso retired early from todays GP because half a dozen teeth had snapped off his rear sprocket

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/219451/1/broken-sprocket-compounds-disastrous-sunday-for-dovizioso.html
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 9:31 am

.....so like many before me and undoubtably many to come I decided to ditch the +2 rear sprocket and revert back to standard.

So despite being still hungover from the Rugby at the weekend I opened up the package and annoyingly unlike my 42T JT sprocket which arrived in black this one is a dull silver so gave it a good going over with a polisher and some Autosol Cool 

If anyone wants to buy the 42T JT sprocket in black let me know there is less than 150miles on it I believe.

Dan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm