Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

LOW OIL

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: LOW OIL

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 28 May 2015, 11:47 pm

good idea but euro to sterling is about 72 cent to pound Sad .  About 100 euro to vrt . but i know cb does be used as winter hack and maybe i am wrong do u lads not use alot of salt in winter and cb finish isnt great best of times (wel italian built ones)maybe next time i am in market for bike i look north and u can steer me in rite direction  maybe, hopefully have my cb for long time to come
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 29 May 2015, 12:50 am

@wornsprokets wrote:good idea but euro to sterling is about 72 cent to pound Sad .  About 100 euro to vrt . but i know cb does be used as winter hack and maybe i am wrong do u lads not use alot of salt in winter and cb finish isnt great best of times (wel italian built ones)maybe next time i am in market for bike i look north and u can steer me in rite direction  maybe, hopefully have my cb for long time to come

UK winters are not kind to motorbikes. The CB500 will look as tatty as any other bike if neglected through winter. That said, they don't need a lot of attention. If you give it a really good clean before winter and use ACF-50 on everything (except brakes), then just chuck a bucket of water over it once-a-week - more if you've been riding on actual salt, it should survive.

Bear in mind that the paint on the clutch and alternator covers and fork legs will be flakey on any CB500 you look at - they all do that, Sir. If you find a bike with good paint, it's a sign of a caring owner. Condition is MORE IMPORTANT than mileage.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 29 May 2015, 4:26 pm

it was a shame that happened because overall it didn't look that bad and it was a 2001 model, I would like to know what he is going to do with it now though Neutral
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sat 30 May 2015, 9:13 pm

Mine's got a few nicks in the top of the shocks from, I think, salt spray from the winter. Is there any treatment for that before the holes start to open up with rust?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 31 May 2015, 8:57 pm

if the nicks arnt  too deep you could try cleaning them out and then putting araldite in them that should set nicely other than that if the nicks are deeper you could ask a welder if he could run a spot of weld over them then go over the shocks with a fine file to smooth them up
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 31 May 2015, 11:33 pm

@skyrider wrote:if the nicks arnt  too deep you could try cleaning them out and then putting araldite in them that should set nicely other than that if the nicks are deeper you could ask a welder if he could run a spot of weld over them then go over the shocks with a fine file to smooth them up

This is a recipe for disaster.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 6:51 pm

but there again as Beresford has said maybe not great of an idea and in the long run just maybe you should be on the lookout for some fresh shocks Neutral
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 5:53 am

ordered new rear shocks from tec waiting for them to arrive cheap at 55 for pair plus postage i let u know how i get on
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 9:30 am

now you will have a fresh start with nice new shocks and this coming winter coat them with grease or similer
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:41 pm

Are they that bad to rust get acf 50 so,
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 02 Jun 2015, 6:43 pm

a few years ago in winter I used to coat the whole bike in a stuff called trico and it worked
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:49 pm

@skyrider wrote:well the latest news on it is they have taken the engine out and its wrecked  the bores are scored crank needs re grinding he reckons it will cost more than the motor is worth to repair,  and this is the bike i was going to buy off him,  in the final conversation i had with him he said his son knew where there was a gs 500 motor that he said would slot straight in and thats where i lost interest in the deal and said i was going to leave it, so the new search continues im sure one will turn up
There's always this one if you like the stormtrooper look.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 7:24 am

@wornsprokets wrote:ordered new rear shocks from tec waiting for them to arrive cheap at 55 for pair plus postage i let u know how i get on

Tec Shocks arrived today going to fit them wkd they look good for what i paid, if they last remains to be seen. Are they better than hagons? Alot cheaper anyway
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 2:32 pm

What is the length of the shocks for a cb500? Is it 340mm
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:39 pm

thanks ashcroc that's a bit too white for me that one but now sold
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 8:29 pm

There were a lot of rusty nuts on it anyway !!!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 10:05 pm

they would have shown up nicely with being a white bike Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:37 am