Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

LOW OIL

skyrider
the 900
the 900

LOW OIL

Post by skyrider on Sun 17 May 2015, 7:17 pm

right is there a sensor on cb5s for if the oil gets low when you are on a ride, I know this is a totally different thing but a few years ago we used to use Honda generators at work and if the oil got low the engine would stop would this happen with the cb or would it just seize
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: LOW OIL

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 17 May 2015, 7:31 pm

Yes LH side of the engine, rubber cap with a single lead coming out of it. If you see the red oil light put some oil in it as soon as possible! Mind you if it's that low it won't be touching the dipstick. Oil level should be a regular check.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 17 May 2015, 7:43 pm

it seems the guy (not me) went for a run last night and it was short of oil so broke down since then he has got it home and now it is just back firing
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 18 May 2015, 12:25 pm

Oh dear. That doesn't sound good.

If it was low enough to put the light on then that is bad. If it is low enough the bike siezes up (usually after the light has come on, but not long!) then it is baaaaad.

Have you tried putting the choke on and/or opening the throttle when trying to start it? Plus I assume he has put some oil back into it now?
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 18 May 2015, 2:57 pm

teamster1975 wrote:Yes LH side of the engine, rubber cap with a single lead coming out of it. If you see the red oil light put some oil in it as soon as possible! Mind you if it's that low it won't be touching the dipstick. Oil level should be a regular check.

This is not an oil level warning sensor, it is an oil pressure sensor!
Ignoring it is definitely not a good idea, quite often by the time you see this light it's too late.
He may be lucky as the CB500 is not such a highly strung engine.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 18 May 2015, 6:48 pm

I have been in touch with him and he had a mate who is a mechanic drop the oil and he said that there was swarf in it
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 18 May 2015, 6:50 pm

That's never a good sign.  At the very least he's probably looking at a full strip down.
A 2nd hand engine could well work out cheaper if he can find a decent one.

EDIT: This one might be worth a punt if it doesn't get too much interest.

Last edited by ashcroc on Mon 18 May 2015, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 18 May 2015, 6:54 pm

that's what I thought, anyway he is getting his mate on it but it still will be pricey to fix
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 18 May 2015, 6:55 pm

all that hassle through not checking his oil, it doesn't take a lot of doing
lazda

Post by lazda on Tue 19 May 2015, 2:05 pm

Can somebody please describe how to measure oil level on Cb500? Should I screw the oil dipstick in when measure and warm the engine before? In the manual is described that engine must be warmed and then turned off. After 2-3 minutes can measure without screwing dipstick in. Today I talked with service guys and they said that there is no big difference if I warm engine or not, I just need to wait these 2-3 minutes and to screw the dipstick in.
The problem is that if I measure without screwing dipstick, then oil is at minimum, but if I screw it in, the oil is above medium level.
P.S. Sorry for mistakes, I am from Latvia. Very Happy
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 19 May 2015, 3:23 pm

I have always checked the oil on my cb500's (and I have been riding them for 20 years now as a courier) by leaving the engine off for a while to let the oil drain down to the sump.
The question of whether or not to screw in the dipstick or not has never really been answered to me.
So I don't screw it in, I believe that it's better to have a bit too much oil in an engine than too little.
I keep mine at the max without the dipstick being screwed in, and have never had any problem with it.
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Post by geoffnorfolk on Tue 19 May 2015, 5:14 pm

lazda wrote:Can somebody please describe how to measure oil level on Cb500? Should I screw the oil dipstick in when measure and warm the engine before? In the manual is described that engine must be warmed and then turned off. After 2-3 minutes can measure without screwing dipstick in. Today I talked with service guys and they said that there is no big difference if I warm engine or not, I just need to wait these 2-3 minutes and to screw the dipstick in.
The problem is that if I measure without screwing dipstick, then oil is at minimum, but if I screw it in, the oil is above medium level.
P.S. Sorry for mistakes, I am from Latvia. Very Happy
I'd change my "service guy" if I was you! You definitely don't screw the dipstick in..... if you do, you'll be significantly down on oil!!
lazda

Post by lazda on Tue 19 May 2015, 5:40 pm

Okay, thank you both! I will fill it up. Very Happy The problem is that guys from two different services told me not to screw dipstick in.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 19 May 2015, 7:52 pm

DO NOT screw the dipstick in! This has always been the case as far as I'm aware.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 19 May 2015, 7:57 pm

yep just place it on top of the threads
lazda

Post by lazda on Tue 19 May 2015, 8:41 pm

Thank you all!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 19 May 2015, 8:56 pm

no probs but it still leaves the guy I know with swarf in his oil Crying or Very sad
lazda

Post by lazda on Tue 19 May 2015, 9:41 pm

Thank you all!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 20 May 2015, 12:34 pm

skyrider wrote:no probs but it still leaves the guy I know with swarf in his oil :cry:

Not a good sign...

Before taking anything (much) apart you (or whoever) should do a compression test. If he's really buggered
it then it will be out of spec - Haynes says it should be 199 psi. The other tell-tale (other than being low-pressure) will be if the two bores have quite different pressures - a good sign that something is wrong.

At least if you have done this (and found a problem) it is worth taking it apart. If not you are just guessing (possibly correctly, but...).

As someone said earlier, it might well be easier/quicker to fit a 'new' engine rather than fix the old one. It's just a matter of finding one that is OK....
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 20 May 2015, 8:49 pm

well the guy tells me that he has a mechanic on its case so anyway I will ask him if they have done a compression test on it next time we are in touch
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 28 May 2015, 7:41 pm

well the latest news on it is they have taken the engine out and its wrecked  the bores are scored crank needs re grinding he reckons it will cost more than the motor is worth to repair,  and this is the bike i was going to buy off him,  in the final conversation i had with him he said his son knew where there was a gs 500 motor that he said would slot straight in and thats where i lost interest in the deal and said i was going to leave it, so the new search continues im sure one will turn up
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 28 May 2015, 8:55 pm

There is always a better bike, usually turn up when u just bought one. And usually cheaper. No way gs motor fit in it be  engine mounting positions as diffrent model bike
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 28 May 2015, 9:12 pm

I thought so too but I wasn't going to get into a debate with him I will just look around for another bike
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 28 May 2015, 9:41 pm

The little cb isnt cheap in ireland  theres three for sale for while at mo one a 98 looks ok for 1800 euro and 99 faired one for 1600 euro  and 95 for 1600 euro thats not cheap. I got bargain mine was 750 euro (97) never seen that cheap,  my fireblade (96) was 1700 few years ago! Keep  looking u get gud cb be patient

Last edited by wornsprokets on Thu 28 May 2015, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 28 May 2015, 10:03 pm

WS, if you bought one in the north would it cost you much to import it southwards. I've seen a few decent ones here at £800~£1k

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 5:35 am