Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Clutchless Upshifting

Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Clutchless Upshifting

Post by Pugzilla on Fri 15 May 2015, 10:09 pm

Do many of you do clutchless gear changes on your CB500?

Thinking about learning how to do it.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Clutchless Upshifting

Post by ashcroc on Fri 15 May 2015, 10:52 pm

I do quite often on the upshifts once out of 1st. Never quite got the hang going down though.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sat 16 May 2015, 12:09 am

clutchless upshifts are fine after being out of 1st gear, just knock the throttle off a little when you change up, then back on the gas. dont clutchless shift though when going down the gears.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 16 May 2015, 2:24 pm

I'm with ashcroc and Tricky. Upshifts, but not down, and preferably the higher gears. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite easy.

And remember; your rear wheel contains an internal shock absorber designed for just this purpose. Klonk!
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Sat 16 May 2015, 8:38 pm

I asked this question a few months ago maybe? Do a search you might find the thread Smile
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 16 May 2015, 9:44 pm

I've been doing clutchless upshifts for miles and miles. Put 120,000 on my last CB doing that and never had gearbox problems. But only when making moderate to quick progress through the gears, not when bumbling around town. 1st to 2nd is actually fine as well as long as you're not hesitant; knowing neutral is in between makes it a bit scary, and I only reserve it for the quickest of take-offs, but it's fine.

I've recently got the knack of clutchless downshifts too. It's tricky going down from third or lower, but from sixth, fifth and fourth it works beautifully. Just a little blip of the revs needed as you do it, and a decisive left foot.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sat 16 May 2015, 11:57 pm

clutchless downshifts will at some point end in tears.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 17 May 2015, 5:28 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:I've been doing clutchless upshifts for miles and miles. Put 120,000 on my last CB doing that and never had gearbox problems. But only when making moderate to quick progress through the gears, not when bumbling around town. 1st to 2nd is actually fine as well as long as you're not hesitant; knowing neutral is in between makes it a bit scary, and I only reserve it for the quickest of take-offs, but it's fine.

I've recently got the knack of clutchless downshifts too. It's tricky going down from third or lower, but from sixth, fifth and fourth it works beautifully. Just a little blip of the revs needed as you do it, and a decisive left foot.

Yep, absolutley. I agree on all counts.
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Tue 19 May 2015, 11:19 pm

Oh yes. Much fun it is too.
As above I've done 1st to 2nd a couple of times too but I don't make a habit of it. 2nd and up, yes if I'm being 'assertive' with acceleration.

I haven't quite got the hang of it on full power screaming overtakes though.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 20 May 2015, 12:36 pm

@Celt500 wrote:I haven't quite got the hang of it on full power screaming overtakes though.

When you start working on that, look out for false neutrals! Done a few of those and it scares the sh*t out of not only me, but also the cagers I'm overtaking at that moment Smile
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sat 23 May 2015, 8:57 am

I found a 5-6 false neutral the other day on the motorway, not fun! Smile
RustyRed
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by RustyRed on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 10:29 pm

Good to hear positive things about clutchless upshifting. Was trying it out today for the first time. I heard it saves the clutch but was afraid this may be at the expense of the gearbox. But since reading through this thread I no longer have any fears.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 10:18 am

I have been doing it for years  not a problem Smile
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 12:50 pm

Have a look at this video anyone who is interested. I had a bit of a look into it and this was the only technical explanation i could find other than "been doing it for years and the bike is still fine."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p09goXGd9Ro

Everything he says seems logical and mechanically sound.
RustyRed
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by RustyRed on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 3:00 pm

Nice one liverpoool_f_,

Makes a lot of sense and scientific too boot. I think I'll avoid clutchless shifts since I am more of a casual/cruising rider and don't need super fast gear changes.

And just to prove you can find anything on the internet to support your opinion, here is the next video that autoplayed on youtube...

"How Clutchless Shifting Works on a Motorcycle and Why it doesn't damage a gearbox"

A bit less scientific, in my opinion.
Grarea
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Grarea on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 3:05 pm

Cheers for bringing this up.
I have always done it myself.
Again not when bumbling along.
I forgot i did it. It is good fun though.
I used to wonder if it was doing any damage and then I completely forgot about wondering about it.
So thanks. Smile

But yes, I found a false neutral myself for the first time the other week, surprised the 'life' out of me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm