You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Front disc replacement

TheBlackPearl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Front disc replacement

Post by TheBlackPearl on Fri 15 May 2015, 11:25 am

Hi new to the forum so bear with me.
Just got a 1998 cb500 after a gap of 35 years of riding.
But it needs a new front brake disc and I was wondering if anyone here has used these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361108323076?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
as a replacement and know if they are any good etc. or could recommend a replacement.
David
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Front disc replacement

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 15 May 2015, 4:59 pm

Welcome mate!
I've never seen a disc like that before, it's odd they don't mention brand in the listing.
I have always used EBC discs and pads. You only change the discs once in a blue moon (I'm on my 3rd front disc, changed a couple of months ago) so it's worth paying the extra for quality.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 15 May 2015, 6:06 pm

Its one thing u dont take a chance on, ive always used ebc ya cant go wrong . I knew of a case where a certain manufactuer blamed aftermarket pads and discs on causing a crash and said it wasnt there problem in a claim.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 15 May 2015, 7:23 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Its one thing u dont take a chance on, ive always used ebc ya cant go wrong . I knew of a case where a certain manufactuer blamed aftermarket pads and discs on causing a crash and said it wasnt there problem in a claim.

I'm with wornsprokets. I got a genuine Honda one from Tippetts Honda ebay page. They're the same price at David Silver Spares.
TheBlackPearl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by TheBlackPearl on Fri 15 May 2015, 10:44 pm

Thanks for the replys, being half the price of a Honda one it would be nice to save the money, but it does make you wonder why so cheap, that's why I wondered if any one hand used them.
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sat 16 May 2015, 9:34 am

At that price its probably made from the lid of an old biscuit tin. Wemoto have Kyoto front discs for 62 quid, Ive got one of theirs on the rear and its fine.

EDIT-after looking at that ebay link again, that might not even be a front disc. The title says its a front, the description further down says its a rear
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 17 May 2015, 6:25 pm

sounds like they don't know what they are selling, stick with a known brand especially with brakes your life depends on it
TheBlackPearl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by TheBlackPearl on Sun 17 May 2015, 11:17 pm

Thanks arrison Wemoto front disc Kyoto looks a good deal £59.04 but out of stock. The wavy is £62.06 cooupled with a set of EBC standard GG type £17.02 should do the job = £79.08. Will the wavy be alright?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 17 May 2015, 11:21 pm

You really ought to consider the HH sintered pads. Most of us use these and they're pretty much the best availabe price/performance balance there is.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 17 May 2015, 11:22 pm

Oh, and nowt wrong with wavey discs, performance-wise. They just look shite!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 18 May 2015, 12:29 pm

I've also had no problem with the Kyoto stuff from wemoto in the past, so if you can wait for one to come into stock, that is probably the best non-Honda item.
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Mon 18 May 2015, 9:17 pm

@TheBlackPearl wrote:Thanks arrison Wemoto front disc Kyoto looks a good deal £59.04 but out of stock. The wavy is £62.06 cooupled with a set of EBC standard GG type £17.02 should do the job = £79.08. Will the wavy be alright?

Ive got the kyoto wavy on the rear, does the job well enough.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 18 May 2015, 9:33 pm

I don't think they work any better just look different badseeds doesn't seem that impressed
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 18 May 2015, 10:57 pm

If you feed the vendors address into google earth street view, it appears to be a second hand computer shop.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 19 May 2015, 7:24 pm

well there you have it stick with a company you know
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 19 May 2015, 7:35 pm

@Beresford wrote:If you feed the vendors address into google earth street view, it appears to be a second hand computer shop.

Just looked and if you go down the road a bit its just round the corner in the next street
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 19 May 2015, 7:41 pm

could be in with a bit of a chance then but I would still stay with who you know
TheBlackPearl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by TheBlackPearl on Tue 19 May 2015, 10:28 pm

On the whole not keen on the wavy disc look, so will wait for the other disc to come back in stock as its cheaper anyways and fit HH sintered pads as suggested. Many thanks guys.
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sat 23 May 2015, 8:45 am

It might cost a bit extra, but I always get critical parts such as brake pads from the dealer or a garage I know who won't fob me off with crap. Saving yourself a bit of cash doesn't help when you end up lying down!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 2:14 pm