Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Making Motad exhaust louder

Jim164
Squiddy
Squiddy

Making Motad exhaust louder

Post by Jim164 on Thu 14 May 2015, 9:47 am

Hi there, 

I bought a Cb500 1997 on the weekend and am using it for commuting. The bike came with a Motad exhaust on it which is really quiet and feels a little restricted.  I want to make this louder but cannot see a removalble baffle. Can anyone recommmend a relatively easy way to do this , or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy an after market can.  I have read about drilling through ( but I don't know where ) and also saw someone saw shove a broom stick up it , but I am concerned I may effect the performance by messing with the back pressure. 

any guidance advice on doing this or even a place to get a new can would be great , ive looked on ebay and they go for abuot £250 and seeing as I paid £600.00 for the little beast I just can't justify that atm. 

Cheers 

JIM
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Making Motad exhaust louder

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 14 May 2015, 12:38 pm

The motad cans are designed to be as quiet as the standard ones (that is really quite quiet!).

A lot of people have (and like) the Fuel exhaust:

http://www.fuelexhausts.com/exhausts/slash-exhaust-single-slip-on/cb500-fv-fy-1996-03

As you can see they start at 135 quid, plus I think that's including postage.

I've got one, but it is not the 'slash' version - I doubt this makes much difference to the noise - mine is certainly louder than the standard can.

You might be lucky and be able to pick one up second hand for less, but they don't come up that often, people tend to keep them plus the reason a lot of people get them is because their original exhaust has rotted through.

You can take the drill to the motad will relative impunity - I doubt that you will screw it up too much, sadly I doubt that you will be able to make it much louder (without buggering it up completely). Of course this might dent the resale value Smile
Jim164
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Jim164 on Thu 14 May 2015, 1:29 pm

Many Thanks for your comments , at least I know now there is no point drilling out the Motad and think a Fuel can will be the way forward. 

to be fair £135 aint too much to spend on a decent upgrade to the bike so think that's the route I will be taking , cheers as well for the link , really helpful.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 14 May 2015, 6:49 pm

There's a club discount with fuel too.

@teamster1975 wrote:Please note the new permanent code is CB5OC for 5% off and free UK delivery.
Note that is a letter O and not a zero!
This must be entered at the basket/checkout stage to be valid.
Many thanks to Louise at Fuel Exhausts!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 15 May 2015, 5:05 pm

Just to add to the fray, the Motad cans rust from the inside out so be aware of this, I had to bodge mine until a replacement came, it snapped in half at the collar! Mind you it did make it louder Razz

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 16 May 2015, 3:01 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:...is certainly louder than the standard can.
Oh yes!

Louder, but not LOUD if you know what I mean.
As Louise once put it; meaty. I concur - this is the best non-essential addon you can get for your CB.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 17 May 2015, 5:21 pm

I am tempted with a Fuel zorst, but I like my bike's inoffensive noise (standard system fore & aft) and I'm sure my neighbours appreciate it. They do sound good, though.........
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 18 May 2015, 7:30 am

@badseeds wrote:I am tempted with a Fuel zorst, but I like my bike's inoffensive noise (standard system fore & aft) and I'm sure my neighbours appreciate it. They do sound good, though.........

A very neighbour-friendly standpoint Smile
But yes, sometimes it's nice to have a little more sound. FYI the Fuel is a 5-minute-bolt-on-job; you could switch for the weekend and switch back for working week without breaking a sweat.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 18 May 2015, 7:32 am

@stormbringer wrote:

@badseeds wrote:I am tempted with a Fuel zorst, but I like my bike's inoffensive noise (standard system fore & aft) and I'm sure my neighbours appreciate it. They do sound good, though.........

A very neighbour-friendly standpoint Smile
But yes, sometimes it's nice to have a little more sound. FYI the Fuel is a 5-minute-bolt-on-job; you could switch for the weekend and switch back for working week without breaking a sweat.

Aye lad, good point. I'm relatively competent with the spanners.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 8:00 pm