Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Hi All from SW London

Jim164
Squiddy
Squiddy

Hi All from SW London

Post by Jim164 on Tue 12 May 2015, 4:00 pm

HI All , 

New member here , just bought myself 97 CB500 which I intend to use for commuting and maybe a little weekend fun.  The bike is pretty much standard at the moment , going to give it a oil change on the weekend. I have been toying with the idea of turning into a Cafe Racer project so any advise would be appreciated. 

I was thinking about starting with some clubman bars , new mirrors etc and slowly working back. I wanted to see convert the back seat into a 70's style but not sure it would work or how hard this would be to achieve. 

Cheers for reading , hope to hear back from you guys soon . 

Jim
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Hi All from SW London

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 12 May 2015, 4:13 pm

Welcome Jim, glad to have you here!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 12 May 2015, 5:15 pm

Ive a 97 cb too and its standard. Dont know sounds like gud idea cafe racer ,does it mean cutting frame at back and theres no going back then
Jim164
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Jim164 on Wed 13 May 2015, 9:19 am

HI Wormsprocket - Love the name btw. 

Not sure how far I want to go as my fabrication skills are not great and I don't really have a decent enough workshop to do it from . Have seen some sweet pictures on Google , was just wonrdering if anyone else had done it really and any pitfalls/ known problems I should look out for.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 13 May 2015, 10:25 am

U must been watching" cafe racer" the tv show from america,  there was guy in pratical superbikes magazine that did a cafe racer on er500( in last two months ago)it looked well. Get use to bike first before u change it. As mite find hard to sell after modification. The name was spur of moment thing
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 13 May 2015, 12:19 pm

It can be done. Not too much welding is required (it's mainly cutting!), especially if you only want a single seat.

Depending upon what 'look' you are after then you might find that the seat isn't too much of a problem but the tank may be more of an issue... (it will always look like the tank of a '90s commuter bike unless you replace it with something else).
Jim164
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Jim164 on Thu 14 May 2015, 9:37 am

Cheers for the advice , funnily enough I have not seen that show yet but a mate was telling me about it .  I am going to ride the bike for a few months first and get the feel of it and get to know my way around it before doing anything drastic. 

Cheers 

Jim
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Thu 14 May 2015, 4:08 pm

There was a thread on here a while back that might give you some ideas:
http://www.cb500club.net/t3051-cb-500-cafe-racer
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 14 May 2015, 8:53 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Get use to bike first before u change it.
I'll second that.

In my view, the CB is all about where you go and how - not how you look when you're going there.

But hey - taking a hacksaw to your otherwise perfectly functioning CB is your prerogative.
Hmmmm.. Am I just another grumpy old man now?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 14 May 2015, 9:16 pm

stormbringer wrote:But hey - taking a hacksaw to your otherwise perfectly functioning CB is your prerogative.
Unfortunatly, to do a good job on the production of a stylish cafe style based on a standard bike, requires talent, money , facilities and attention to detail.

Most people have none of these and the usual results tend to show that.

skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 14 May 2015, 9:34 pm

Beresford wrote:

stormbringer wrote:But hey - taking a hacksaw to your otherwise perfectly functioning CB is your prerogative.

Unfortunatly, to do a good job on the production of a stylish cafe style based on a standard bike, requires talent, money , facilities and attention to detail.

no its not something I would do either why change a perfectly functional 
bike and as the americans would say if it aint broke don't fix it Evil or Very Mad
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Sun 17 May 2015, 7:24 pm

Hi Jim!

Beresford wrote:

Fully ack. Plus, there are soooo many cafe racers, bobbers, scramblers and flat trackers around. Ride something very special, keep it strictly original. Wink
Jim164
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Jim164 on Wed 20 May 2015, 11:03 am

Hi All, 

thanks for your opinions / advice , after giving it some thought and after reading a few comments I have decided to leave the bike as it is not going about chopping it up , this is mainly due to fact that I think I lack the skillls for finish the job off to a standard that would give the bike justice..
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 20 May 2015, 8:54 pm

excellent decision much better off leaving it as it is Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 7:41 pm