Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

tomtom 400

peatrich
Rossi
Rossi

tomtom 400

Post by peatrich on Sun 10 May 2015, 11:43 pm

I wired up a new tomtom to my bike today. The instructions simply say 'attach the mount to your motorcycle. Fix the holder to the mount and connect the wires to your bike's wiring system'  It doesn't say anything about 5v or 12v, which I took to mean you use the bikes 12 volt system as there would be a warning surely?

There is a picture of how the mechanical parts fit together at the bottom of which are the two + and - wires and a tiny picture of a bike.  

So I did that using a relay, although I really think it is overkill given the 1.2amps it consumes. I used the blue black covered wire coming out of the bottom of the fuse box under the right side panel as an ignition switched positive.  I spliced into it and soldered the joint.( tomtom red wire )  tomtom black wire to the frame.

The mount must lower the voltage to 5v as there was no drama when I switched on and the tomtom began charging instantly.  Saves all that faffing about with cigar lighters, 5v chargers and usb leads I had with the urban rider version I have been using for the last five years.
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Re: tomtom 400

Post by alvamiga on Mon 11 May 2015, 12:21 am

Yes, the TomTom mounts I have looked at before have a 12-5v converter in them.

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 5:16 am