Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

2 questions

Stu9
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

2 questions

Post by Stu9 on Thu 07 May 2015, 6:29 pm

What's this bit called.....i'd call it the seat latch....the metal rod thingy that's under it to hold it up

The front engine mount bolt...it goes right through doesn't it....it went to fit crash bars that I got with the bike but the bolts seized...I guess soaking in wd is the only way or can I heat it with the touch bit dodgy being ally though
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: 2 questions

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 07 May 2015, 6:51 pm

Was there supposed to be a photo with that first question?

The front engine bolt is a bastard. Several days soaking with Plusgas (much better at penetrating than WD), and if that won't shift it lots of heat.
Stu9
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Stu9 on Thu 07 May 2015, 6:56 pm

Thanks for a quick answer 

No I was just asking...it's just a metal rod but don't know it's right name

So these front bolts are a c+?t I'd need to get plusgas as I've never used it, so I can heat it will it not discolour the ally
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 07 May 2015, 7:04 pm

You have a seat prop? (the latch is the bit that locks the seat) As far as I'm aware there was never one either supplied with the bike or offered as an optional extra though as the recess for one is included on the seatpan I've often considered fabricating one.  Any chance of a pic?

As for the bolt, people have had to resort to drilling them out in the past.  There's at least one thread on getting them out.
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sun 10 May 2015, 11:28 pm

Is there a proper seat prop? I have a bit of wood stored under there! Very Happy
Stu9
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Stu9 on Sun 10 May 2015, 11:34 pm

It's a nut...as I said, it's the back indicator and the hollow shaft it's on to...drilling, I'd like to see that being done
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 10 May 2015, 11:48 pm

Never seen plus gas here(ireland) yes have been looking at getting that engine front mounting bolt out. What were they thinking designing engine bolt like that the dumbasses. Mines seized in solid too be weary breaking engine mountings as it be easy to do. Think heat be a bit too close for my liking. Thinking off leaving it as it is.no seat prop on mine

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Mon 11 May 2015, 10:53 am

No seatprop on any cb5 i've owned. I keep a length of batten cut to hold the seat up when needed. Its surprisingly useful.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 11 May 2015, 1:13 pm

I don't think anyone has an original seat prop - there wasn't one AFAIK. I think there is a space for one in the plastic moulding of the seat pan.

Yes, the front engine bolt is a bad design/wrong place/wrong materials. When you finally get it out and replace it with a new one make sure you give it a good coating of copper slip (will resist engine temperatures) at all points it meets something else. It is also worth undoing it every year or two, taking it out and repeating the process as a preventative measure.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 11 May 2015, 1:47 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:When you finally get it out and replace it with a new one make sure you give it a good coating of copper slip (will resist engine temperatures) at all points it meets something else.  It is also worth undoing it every year or two, taking it out and repeating the process as a preventative measure.

+1 to all of that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 8:10 pm