Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Youtube coolant check

ar1
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Youtube coolant check

Post by ar1 on Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:58 pm

HI guys re the coolant check ph values using a multimeter there  are some youtube vids that give the wrong scale values i.e. 0.01-0.05 these are rubbish i have checked several sources and the safe values are reading between 0.0-0.3
once the reading moves 0.4 it is time to change the coolant, these guys do not known how set or read a multimeter. Also remember the rad damage and gasket damage caused by knackered coolant, thats why head gaskets go and rads leak, this is a valuable tip regards J (BY THE WAY 0.0 IS THE READING FOR BRAND NEW COOLANT)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Youtube coolant check

Post by Beresford on Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:18 pm

In what units are you measuring ?
ar1
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ar1 on Mon 20 Apr 2015, 8:04 am

Hi  Beresford the units are volts DC and we are looking at .1 volt increments so 0.1 to 0.3 volts dc are  o.k. at 0.4 change coolant, the higher the corrosive alkaline PH value the higher the reading, hope this helps Regards J.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 20 Apr 2015, 12:55 pm

Out of interest have you got links to any of the sources you checked?

I suspect this all revolves around electrochemical potentials, but I'm not really sure.

ar1
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ar1 on Mon 20 Apr 2015, 6:50 pm

Hi there are many u tube vids showing this test  one of which is www. handyman but there a plenty more, But the source i used  was the professor of advanced performance engineering at my university where i work in the lab and he explained the reaction between the aluminium components and degraded coolant, which becomes alkaline and this corrodes the ally, thus when a meter is used the potential is measured between the coolant and the engine cases using the probes if u would like to contact the prof i can give u his e mail address, hope this is of use regards J
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:07 am

Wouldn't it be easier to just dip a test strip into the coolant to test the ph?
ar1
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ar1 on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:48 am

HI ,yes of course use a ph strip the higher the ph value the greater the alkaline content i.e. more corrosive remember new coolant is fairly neutral, I used a meter  just to see if the prof was  right the higher the ph the higher the volts dc reading please remember I do not know how long the coolant has been in there so I needed to know if it was ok and the reading was 0.2volts dc, it is fine, I am just trying to help others with this info, if you find me wrong please tell me as knowledge is king regards J

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 8:11 pm