Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

flat battery and stand problem any link

burning_rubber
Two Tone
Two Tone

flat battery and stand problem any link

Post by burning_rubber on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:03 pm

hi guys an odd one confused

the other day i went for a lovely ride, i got back home and stopped the bike but when i tried to move it (a second or 2 later) it wouldn't start.  so i charged her up and she started first time but some mornings it seems to be a bit week.

meanwhile, my side stand is very worn so it gets a lot shit in it and seems to make the bike cut in and out whilst riding. it can be kept at bay by cleaning with wd40, would the stand doing this drain the battery?

i know it seems unlikely but could this be a cause?

ps 
when revving the bike and checking the voltage, the battery seems to be getting power 
and it had a new moto batt battery.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: flat battery and stand problem any link

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:46 pm

bit of a novice but starter/plugs/coils/leads/starter relay maybe? 

I'd probably start with checking the earths and a bit of sandpaper on the connection points with some contact cleaner here and there? lives too?
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 7:51 am

moto batt battery

Common fault with them seen it a number of times
May sort it self otherwise replace battery but not with another piece of yellow shit !

Side stand  if the spring is not holding it up properly the switch will cut the engine

Check the bolt holding the stand is tight  and the spring pulls it all the way to the top stop
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 12:48 pm

@burning_rubber wrote:
the other day i went for a lovely ride, i got back home and stopped the bike but when i tried to move it (a second or 2 later) it wouldn't start.  so i charged her up and she started first time but some mornings it seems to be a bit weak.

When you say 'it wouldn't start', did the engine turn over, or did nothing at all happen when you pressed the starter button?

As Dave mentioned the side-stand switch will only stop the engine when the bike is not in neutral.

It might be worth taking a battery voltage reading with the battery under load (when the starter is turning), if it is knackered then the voltage will drop too low and you won't get a reliable/strong enough spark for the engine to fire.
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 9:30 pm

Bypass the sidestand switch to rule that out, pull apart the green plug behind the LH side panel and identify which goes to the stand and which goes into the loom and bridge the two outer pins on the latter with a bent paperclip held with insulating tape. My switch went faulty and would keep cutting the ignition at random so rather than replace I bridged it and it has been fine for 18 months, just remember to bring the stand up before moving off or it will remind you on its own Laughing
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 12:36 pm

@The_Wasp wrote:Bypass the sidestand ... bridged it and it has been fine for 18 months, just remember to bring the stand up before moving off or it will remind you on its own :lol:

Bypassing the stand for testing is fine; don't do it for a long time or you will come to realise why there is a cut out the hard painful way.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 1:48 pm

sullivj has a neighbour who had first experience of that when taking a tight left in the early hours of the morning in the morning...... believe he walked away fine but left a stand scrape on the road together with a few blood marks and oil pool where the moped ended!
burning_rubber
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by burning_rubber on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 10:37 pm

When you say 'it wouldn't start', did the engine turn over, or did nothing at all happen when you pressed the starter button?

well,
 when i stopped after the the ride and went to start it again, it just clicked (starter solenoid)
is it odd this happened after a long ride? 

by the way i hooked the bike to the optimate 6 and it went in to save mode
the bike then and now is starting but is weak when starting

ill try your test's tomorrow thanks for the tips 
sounds more likely to be the motobatt then the bike charging badly

thanks guys your all very helpfull Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 19 Apr 2015, 1:41 pm

Good luck sorting this out.  Are you any good at bump starting? Smile