Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

fork seal tricks

ar1
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

fork seal tricks

Post by ar1 on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 7:18 pm

Hi there cee bees have just watched a guy on u tube using a seal mate, a neat  tool that may save replacing fork seals the thing slips under the seal and cleans out dirt etc that may prevent the seal from working properly, it only a bit of shaped plastic , i bet u could make one your self , but the thing is it appears to work, anyone seen or used one? regards J.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: fork seal tricks

Post by sullivj on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 8:17 pm

Yes, I saw a video of that a while back. Think I posted it on here...

I have heard of people doing the same with 35mm film, cut to shape
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 8:27 pm

looks like a good idea found it funny that they do them in all different colours Smile

ordered one from eBay - hope not to have to use it for a long long long time but will be a pain having for wait for it if the time did arise.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seal-Mate-Tool-Sealmate-Fix-Leaking-Fork-Seals-Quick-Easy-Fast-Affordable-/121059312192
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 8:46 pm

Once blew both the oil seals on my forks on a 'road' in Uzbekistan - with no where to dismantle my forks I also came across that vid on youtube and made my own out of a plastic Coke bottle. I was surprised to find it did actually work however the downside is in my experience it never works for long and it was nice to eventually get fit some new seals. Still, to potentially get a few thousand extra miles out of your seals for 6 quid (or nothing if you make your own) it could be worth a go.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 8:28 pm

one of the easiest ways to put the seal on the fork leg when replacing them is to just put a thin sandwich bag over the top of the leg then just slip the seal on it doesn't cause any cuts Smile
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

I've one of those seal-mate thingies and yes, they do work.
Stu9
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Stu9 on Thu 07 May 2015, 6:20 pm

Need to try it as I've got an mot in a 2 months
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 08 May 2015, 1:31 pm

They aren't a bad idea - assuming that your forks are leaking 'cos there is crap/dirt stuck under the seal (this is sometimes the case) they will work well.

If you fork seals are properly fubar-ed then replacement is the only hope.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:30 pm