Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Help!!

Scorgie88
Rossi
Rossi

Help!!

Post by Scorgie88 on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 6:56 pm

Hi everyone, got a small issue I could use some advice on. I've just changed my chain & sprockets, put everything back together and gave the wheel a spin and was treated to a truly awful screeching noise. Its coming from the calliper/disc. I tightened the axel nut to 90nm as always and checked the wheel was straight with a plumb weight (socket & shoe lace)so that shouldn't be a problem. Is there anything I could've done when putting the rear end back together that has buggered it up? Thanks!
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: Help!!

Post by Ayrton F on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:08 pm

Hmm could be the pads have tighten up while you had the wheel off. Was it difficult to pop the wheel back on between the pads ? 

Are your spacers in the right place ? 

Id probably take the calipers off and give the pins a clean and then put some copper grease back on and see if that helps!
rob75
Rossi
Rossi

Post by rob75 on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:29 pm

I had a comparable symptom with my other bike. I'm not sure, but the rear caliper is mounted on a baseplate which is at one end mounted on the axle and on the other side has a fixture point on the rear fork. It might be that this base plate is somehow mounted offset to the rear wheel. Could be dirt or just a misalignment. This causes the caliper not to align with the rotor and causing all kind of terrible noises.

Succes,
Rob
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 10 Apr 2015, 1:20 pm

Yes, it is certainly worth cleaning up the rear caliper mounting (the bit on the inside of the swing arm) to make sure it will be correctly positioned once the wheel is tightened up.

Is there any possibility you have bent the mounting plate? (I don't think it is likely, but you have to ask these questions!)

Have you checked that the caliper is free to move on its sliders and that they are free from rust and greased up with red rubber grease?

teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 10 Apr 2015, 2:41 pm

To add to that, make sure the thin metal plate that sits at the back of the caliper that the pads hook into is located properly (pictured on left just below caliper bracket here), and the spring plate.
Scorgie88
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Scorgie88 on Fri 10 Apr 2015, 4:09 pm

I think it might have just been misalignment. I took it all off and put it all back together and its all good! The mechanical equivelant of turning it off then back on again I guess. Thanks for all of the advice!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 10 Apr 2015, 5:11 pm

Fantastic, glad you've sorted it! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:41 pm