Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Clickibg noise under braking

cbeebies
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Clickibg noise under braking

Post by cbeebies on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 8:21 am

Ive got a single click when i brake.  Usually just before i come to a complete stop.  A loud single click.  I assumed it was the pads in the caliper but now I'm beginning to think i can feel a slight movement in the bars which is leading to me to believe it is the head bearing. ......is this easy enough to adjust? ?
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Clickibg noise under braking

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:21 am

First thing to do is jack the front up and see if you can feel any play. Hold the wheel straight and see if you can rock it back and forth.
It's reasonably easy to tighten up the head bearing, you'll have to remove the top yoke to get to the lock nut. Bear in mind though that if the bearings are worn you will speed up the wear process by tightening them down!

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:09 pm

Hi,
you'd feel the uncertainty in the steering if it was headraces. The click you hear when they need adjustment is pretty obvious and usually confirms your thoughts that the bike is behaving oddly.
Its a standard mot check so if you had your mot recently it might not be that.

Good advice above. You can also put the bike against a wall and push down on the bars to see if there's a click. Adjustment is pretty easy, you'll need a 30mm socket though and a breaker bar for leverage on the headrace bolt. Having a mate to steady the bike is a real help. Getting the races tighter without overdoing it is a bit hit and miss.
The haynes gives easy step by step to adjust and worth chucking some lithium grease in the races too.

Btw, I had a suzuki sv650s and that had a built in clunk whenever it either braked hard or went over speedhumps. Its well known on these bikes and nowt to worry over, the bike felt fine.

muttley1
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:31 pm

To add to what muttley is saying, i have a slight clicking noise under heavy braking, it comes and goes. I changed the head bearings not so long ago and have just recently tightened them up a bit. But the little clicking is still there. I used to think it was in the brakes or pads. I doubt its anything to loose sleep over.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:48 pm

I had a cb1 400 that had clicking under braking and at first taught it was head races, the front disc was rocking on its rivets  bad, it was wear or too much movement on rivets, made hole new concept of floatin discs. Changed disc and end of problem. Grab disc see if there's a lot of movement forward n back. Mite not be it but worth checking.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 11:46 pm

i messed up the cb 500 doesnt have floating front disc. So i doubt its your problem the cb1 400 did and that was problem  ,sorry, after 10 bikes u stil make mistakes ,  it's always a learning process  Mad
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Apr 2015, 1:35 pm

If it *isn't* the head bearings then it can also be the front forks... it's nothing to worry about 'just one of those things'.
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Sat 11 Apr 2015, 11:27 pm

Check the brake caliper too. Mine is knocking a bit for some reason and makes a clunk under braking, same with the back too but to a lesser degree. I did consider the head bearings and fork bushes at first but I can't detect any play but I can wiggle the caliper by hand even with the bolt up tight. I think it might need new pads or a service to get it right again.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 11 Apr 2015, 11:44 pm

I changed the front brakes pads on cb to day is it possible that rubber  boots that caliper pins slide in are perished or warn combined with sticking sliding pins as mine were bad.  then i imagine could cause the knocking your on about. Both my calipers slightly rock if you grab them
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 12:10 am

I think you may be right, the pads are due a change and I do feel that pads are dragging slightly (I can hear it spinning the wheel by hand) so it could be that they're aren't moving freely either. I did liberally use copper grease when I changed them last although that was quite some time ago now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 8:32 am