Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Need new shocks. Hagons or what?

Twinman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!

Need new shocks. Hagons or what?

Post by Twinman on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 3:59 pm

Okay, so my shocks needs replacement. Well my shocks are fine, but bushings on them at not... The mileages is only 14000, but 20 year is a long time!
I was going to just order some Hagons from Wemoto, but then I did some searching and found that not all user experiences  where positive...
Some say they are to hard, and me living in Norway, the richest country on earth(I've been told Rolling Eyes ) , I have to drive on some pretty nasty roads from time to time. 
Are the folks that don't like them just too light for Hagons? Will my near 17 stone(with extremely heavy riding gear of course!  tongue ) be more suited for the Hagons? Or should I look for something else? And what should that be?

Thanks in advance!  Very Happy
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Re: Need new shocks. Hagons or what?

Post by Stooby2 on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 4:22 pm

I find them very hard over potholes, lumps and bumps. Over larger stuff, like speedhumps, they're fine. They do a version with adjustable damping, but they're not cheap.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm

I've been happy with my Hagons (non adjustable apart from the preload) and I'm 6ft 15stone; also no problems with my mate on the back who's bigger than me.
Twinman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!

Post by Twinman on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 5:14 pm

So, for once, being heavy is an advantage...? tongue
Ayep
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Ayep on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 5:21 pm

I think good shock absorbers do tend to be quite hard on pot holes. Although, I do still personally find stiff, new shock absorbers, more confortable than the original worn out ones that bounce about more than they absorb.

To come back to your question - I'd recommended the twin shocks from ShockFactory. A little pricey, but not nearly as much a EMC and equivalents. They can be made according to your specifications (weight, driving style, passenger, heavy luggage...). They are quite cheap to refurbish. If within your budget, those are a better bet than Hagons IMO.
Twinman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!

Post by Twinman on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 6:03 pm

Ayep wrote:I think good shock absorbers do tend to be quite hard on pot holes. Although, I do still personally find stiff, new shock absorbers, more confortable than the original worn out ones that bounce about more than they absorb.

To come back to your question - I'd recommended the twin shocks from ShockFactory. A little pricey, but not nearly as much a EMC and equivalents. They can be made according to your specifications (weight, driving style, passenger, heavy luggage...). They are quite cheap to refurbish. If within your budget, those are a better bet than Hagons IMO.

I wish I could afford £300... But with shipping, Norwegian 25% VAT(also on shipping cost) + some handling charges, it would be well over £400   Crying or Very sad 
Hagons will cost me about £170. Smile 
I maybe ride 2000 miles in a year, so Hagons seems to me like the best solution so far.  Smile
Ayep
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Ayep on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 6:29 pm

Fair enough ; I also have Hagons on the other bike, they are not a bad bet either!

My original shocks had 40k in them, they were horrific... Soft and yet unconfortable - new Hagons will do marvels. If you want a harmonious setup, make sure you change your fork oil too (nothing too hard if your roads are bad)

RFY have cheapish shocks for the CB too. No idea what they are worth though.

Good luck!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 6:44 pm

It's worth giving Hagon a call/email directly. 
Since they make shocks for various makes & models, they should be able to make a set up for your weight & riding style.
Twinman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!

Post by Twinman on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 6:58 pm

Just found out that there is an even cheaper solution, changing the bushes on the shocks! Very Happy 
Didn't think I could bye only the bushes, but I was wrong! tongue 
https://www.micksbikeparts.com/products/rear%20cushion/Honda/cb500/1994/cb500r/
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 7:06 pm

Well, I've had these on my bike for a few months now and I think they're great. They came with a choice of springs and bushes and unlike the Hagons, they are alloy not steel, so they don't rust
Price ? Under £100.
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 4:01 pm

Under a ton?  Where'd you get them from?
Twinman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!

Post by Twinman on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 4:34 pm

http://www.tecbikeparts.com/Alloy_Gas_Shocks.html
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 10:30 pm

Brilliant - ta!
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 7:18 pm

If I got rich I would buy these- Maxton shocks. Top quality made in the UK.

4 way adjustable but £1000 the pair. Rebound, compression, preload and ride height adjustment.

Or these: 

With preload and rebound adjustment. £498 the pair. 

They are rebuild-able so you wouldn't have to ever replace them, just have them serviced.
ar1
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ar1 on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 4:02 pm

Hi i have bought some new shocks and they are great only £50 from george164milburn@btinternet.com,he will make them to suit your specs, they are chrome bodied and black springs, and the are really good and he is a great guy regards J
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 5:05 pm

HomeBrew wrote:If I got rich I would buy these- Maxton shocks. Top quality made in the UK.

4 way adjustable but £1000 the pair. Rebound, compression, preload and ride height adjustment.

Or these: 

With preload and rebound adjustment. £498 the pair. 

They are rebuild-able so you wouldn't have to ever replace them, just have them serviced.
strewth that's a wedge in some cases the shocks could be worth more than the bike Shocked
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 13 Apr 2015, 7:14 pm

I love my Hagons, but do like "crisp" suspension. I'm well practiced from my cycle racing days to stand up going over rough ground.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:01 am