Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Uneven brake pad wear

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Uneven brake pad wear

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 19 Mar 2015, 1:40 pm

On my last CB with a Nissin front caliper I usually found that the pad on the piston side wore faster than the other one.

On my current CB with a Brembo caliper, the opposite pad has worn down faster.

Am I correct in assuming that if the one on the piston side wears faster then the pistons are binding slightly, whereas if the other one is then it's the slider pins that are binding?
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Uneven brake pad wear

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 19 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

It's very common for the sliders to be corroded and seized on the brembos.
You may have to replace the rubbers £17 at Lings
Smother the sliders in red rubber grease before reassembly. It really should be on the yearly maintenance list after winter.

Edit: To answer your question I'd say yes, the one that wears faster is the binding side Smile
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 19 Mar 2015, 5:54 pm

Thanks teamster. One of the slider pins, the one on the bracket, was indeed horrendously corroded. I've literally just replaced the bracket with one with a lovely shiny pin on, but I'm guessing the uneven wear is the result of the 5,000-ish miles I've done with the nasty pin on.

What's annoying though is earlier when I removed the front wheel to change the fork oil, the pads were still gripping the disc pretty tightly. So I think the pistons may also be binding a bit as well. Last time I looked at them they did have a little corrosion on - I cleaned it off with steel wool as I used to do on the Nissin caliper, but I think this may be a bad idea with the ceramic pistons on the Brembo vs the metal ones on the Nissin.

I don't like to mess around when it comes to brakes, so I've ordered a new set of boots, seals and pistons (expensive but I'd rather have brakes that are working perfectly).
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 19 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm

It's a shame you're up in Chester, that's a lovely Saturday job with a few beers Smile
Do get yourself a tub of red rubber grease for the sliders & piston seals, it's gunky stuff but does the job nicely. I got mine from this lot, the 500g tub will last you years!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:44 pm