Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Handlebar grip glue

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Handlebar grip glue

Post by muttley1 on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:56 pm

Hi,
just fitting some new bars (thanks Dan). Some cable re routing to do and all good.

However, the bike has Oxford heated grips and the adhesive holding them to the bar on the left and the throttle cylinder on the right has given up, the grips aren't securely glued to the bars so anyone know the best glue to use?
I don't want to take the grips off totally, plan is to ease them off an inch or so, glue the bar/throttle cylinder, ease the grips back on fully then work some glue into the other end. I've some araldite handy and some gripfill. Its them or go buy some superglue I'd think.

cheers

muttley1

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Handlebar grip glue

Post by sullivj on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm

You can buy grip glue on ebay. That's what I used and mine have never moved an inch..
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 10:15 pm

The cheapskates method of attaching grips is : remove grip and thoroughly clean the bars, then apply double sided adhesive tape to the bar. Thoroughly wet the bar and inside the grip with petrol and quickly slide the grip onto the bar while it is still wet. When the petrol evaporates the grip will be firmly in place. This technique also works well on golf clubs .

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 10:23 pm

Yep, just been having a look on various bike sites. Some love the grip glues, some don't. Hairspray gets a mention or several, seems it dries fast and is adhesive. Insert jokes here...

muttley1
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 11:17 pm

Any guidance where to buy pattern new grips for stock handlebars.
Thanks
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 4:50 am

Don't know about pattern but wemoto sell oem
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 12:24 pm

It's not too difficult to find grips Smile you should have tried David Silver spares:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB500V-1997/part_68562/
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB500V-1997/part_68563/

On the grip glue front - I have used UHU/Bostik/EVO impact (all similar things) before, but just because I had to hand.

I don't think grip fill will work because it sets too hard and also wouldn't 'creep' under the grip, but I'd be interested to see if you have any luck. Araldite (and any epoxy as far as I know) is too brittle when cured, plus, if it does work it would be a bitch to get off in the future!

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:27 pm

HI,

well, the oxford grips came off easily, I think the glue was pretty minimal. I took out the wiring relating to them (never have 'em on anyway) after checking they work as they should.

Oe grips on, had some in toolbox. I used a little wd40 to get them started, quick shove to the switchgear and they are sound, didn't move on roadtest, but will keep an eye on them.

muttley1
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 07 Mar 2015, 10:18 am

Nice. I've used Renthal grip glue in the past, it's good stuff goes quite rubbery. This flexible superglue looks quite interesting...
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 07 Mar 2015, 10:48 am

Here's some advice which I found useful a while ago, from dansmc.com:

'While we are talking about twist grips maybe I should cover grip cover replacement. Usually you cut off the old ones and glue on the new ones. Sometimes you can get them off by slipping a very thin screw driver between the grip and the handle bar. Then squirt some penetrating oil in along the screw driver shaft. Pull the screw driver out and work the grip back and forth. That will get them off in one piece perhaps 30% of the time. I don't like to glue them on because sometimes, for whatever reason, you just need to take the grips off. If they are glued on you will probably ruin the grips getting them off. What I do is this. I wrap the handle bar with plain, ordinary masking tape. I wrap it the length of the grip and then try to put the grip on. If it feels loose I add another layer of masking tape. It's a bit hard to get on but you can take it back off without ruining the grip. If you don't like this method then just glue it on!'
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 07 Mar 2015, 12:18 pm

If you've got a compressor, a blast of air between the grip & bar can break the seal if you've glued it allowing you to reuse the grip.
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 9:49 am

I've always used hairspray. There's always a can of it in the bathroom, so it's free...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:09 am